TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Mean Streak was boring, Wicked Twister felt bland, Disaster Transport felt weird being an enclosed bobsled, and Magnum just felt bland due to the lack of pops of airtime I was told about

Thats just IMO, though, you don't have to agree with it

Mean Streak was boring, Wicked Twister felt bland, Disaster Transport felt weird being an enclosed bobsled, and Magnum just felt bland due to the lack of pops of airtime I was told about

Thats just IMO, though, you don't have to agree with it

Just wondering, cause basically every coaster that opened since Magnum either broke a record or introduced something new to the industry. So while maybe you thought they might have been boring, they surely weren't "uninspired." Mean Streak and DT are definite suckitude rides, but I can't believe you didn't get airtime on Magnum. You could be the first person I've ever known of that's said that. Where did you sit in the train?

• 3 weeks later...
There is a sign at the entrance to Houdini's Great Escape that it will open May 28th.

Not sure when it opened, but I was there on Tuesday and it was open so we went on it very first thing. Glad to see they re-opened this...it is definitely an original and a very disorienting attraction.

Photo TR coming soon!

Hi, im going to New york next week (6-16 June) from Sweden and I was wondering if any attractions are closed and what day you would recommend going. Also are the single rider lines much faster? Thank you!

Go on a weekday, crowds will be much lower since schools are still in session, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days to go right now. Everything in the park is open for the season except the SBNO rides like Bumper Cars, Music Express and Tango. There are no single rider lines unfortunately.

If you want to ride a lot, it might be worth it. I am going to say most rides will be 5 - 15 minute waits this time of year during on a weekday except possibly Kingda Ka, Superman and possibly El Toro. You should be able to ride every coaster at least once if you are there for at least 5 hours but if you want to get multiple rides in, especially on Kingda Ka, I'd consider getting a Flashpass.

I would wait to see how the lines are before getting a Flashpass since it is possible that you won't need it.

To update everyone, here are some 2011 rumors...

Intamin Giga (Possible Launch)-Located Near the lake. Many people are now saying that this will be Gadv's next coaster.

Many are guessing that with the closure of Fly Me to the Moon, Gadv is going to get the rumored 5D International ride. If so we would be the first in the U.S. making it unique.

Flat Package-Family/Major rides.

Here are some amazing pictures taking by me even though the GAHistory logo is on the bottom right.

Nitro at Sunset

Gasm and Chutes

Ka in dense Fog

Full Skyline

Intamin Giga (Possible Launch)

Like SFGADv needs another maintenance nightmare on thier hands...

With this whole i305 fiasco, I can't see another giga being built ever again in the near future. And for a park that has an 'excellent' woodie, a hyper, and a strata, I would predict SF is going to go small for Gadv next year. It needs new flats more than anything at the moment.

^ Yeah, I agree. With all they have done to that ride, it's amazing that there hasn't been any extended downtime whatsoever...hardly a "complete failure" (aka fiasco).

Why would GADV get a 300' launched coaster when they have a 456' launched coaster? Doesn't make sense to me. GADV is a very well-rounded park when it comes to coasters, so it's hard to predict what they need and what will most likely be built next. In my opinion a smaller Intamin, like Maverick or Fahrenheit, would fit well in GADV.

^That wasn't successful as thats what put them in debt in the first place. $20 million coasters attract teens and enthusiasts and thru don't spend that much money in the park. Families pay a lot of money to eat and buy stuff in the gift shops.

That philosiphy could go either way. When my family goes to theme parks, we are on a strict budget to do it as cheaply as possible. When we go to Six Flags, we find the park with the cheapest Season Passes, so there we are covered all season for $29.99 each at SFKK. We are hit with parking at each park, but we spend almost nothing in the parks. We eat before we go to the park, leave food in the car for dinner, then go back in the park for the evening. Really the only money we spend in the park is the occasional light snack, shirt, or on-ride photo. It really evens out to us spending less than $15 per person each time we go to the park including admission.

On the other side of that, when I go on school trips to theme parks, I'm always going on coasters constantly, but most people spend the majority of their time in gift shops or getting food. With teens usually not having very many expenses, they have very disposable money and usually get money from their parents as well.

I guess it really depends on the family. The parks make very little off of my family.

I think in your instance you would fall under the 'enthusiast' category... Parks make their money on families that purchase one-day admission... Season Passholders tend to know 'the system' and can make the most out of a little money spent. They eat in their cars, purchase Sports Bottles at the beginning of the year and do not purchase souvenirs because they will be visiting again.

whole i305 fiasco

Looking back, I think using the term 'fiasco' was being a bit too harsh.

I meant that an Intamin Giga (like Intimidator305) isn't really a good investment for a chain that just came out of a financial crisis. Though there have been a few problems with i305 lately (trimming, wheel replacements), I don't think it was a total failure, just problematic.

It's not problematic. All coasters go through those sort of adjustments and tweeks. They are just normally done out of the public eye, unlike the coaster down in Virginia.

With that said, I doubt there will be a coaster near the lake. I don't see the park touching that area. Also, Superman was originally proposed to be out over the water, but was shot down by the township, which is why it is in the spot it is in today. Not only is that type of investment very doubtful, but the area that you are speaking of makes that kind of rumor completely invalid.

^^ You do realize that Cedar Fair is in a "financial crisis" also, right?

Besides, I could understand if it was constantly experiencing major downtime, and perhaps down for weeks at a time, but that's not the case at all. The crew has been doing an amazing job to keep it running efficiently this entire time.

Why would GADV get a 300' launched coaster when they have a 456' launched coaster? Doesn't make sense to me. GADV is a very well-rounded park when it comes to coasters, so it's hard to predict what they need and what will most likely be built next. In my opinion a smaller Intamin, like Maverick or Fahrenheit, would fit well in GADV.

I agree. An Intamin Blitz would honestly be our best bet since we have almost every model of B&M, however a Mack Launch wouldn't be a bad investment seeing as though we lost Chiller. For the record I am not the one who wants a Giga, these are just rumors I heard.

Maybe you don't read the SF Blog but here is what Six Flags Mike posted....

And, yesterday, my boss sat in on a meeting where Mr. Shapiro asked the Head of Ops to look into a package of flat rides for Great Adventure. You GrAdv dudes sure are vocal about what you want

Although Shapiro is no longer our CEO, I'm sure Weber and all of Managment at Gadv KNOWS that we need flats. So stop asking for them. I think just one more coaster to give us the "Fearsome Five" (Ka, Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, and ?) is all we need. Does Cedar Point really NEED another coaster? I don't think so. We have the room to expand so why not when everything we need is on the way.