TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

If it's anything like any other themeing at the park, it'll be nice for a month tops, before the delinquents that frequent the park and/or reluctance to fix things ruin it.

Not that I personally care. A fancy station or whatever does not make or break a ride to me. Some of my all-time favorites have regular old brick/steel buildings with no "theme" whatsoever.

Hooray for a long needed paint job and some maybe cool "effects," but it's not enough to get me to spend money at that park this year.

Of course, maybe six seasons of employment there has left me bitter.

Medu....err, "Bizarro" (Bizusa? Maybe Medarro??) is the best floorless coaster I've ridden to date, and some new "bells and whistles" won't change that. I give Six Flags credit for trying to revitalize the coaster, but the whole Bizarro theme is a puzzling choice, to me anyway. The paint job looks nice enough at least. It just seems like a cheap way to introduce a "new" attraction without actually putting in one. If I had my choice, they should've used the money from this and started putting in/replacing some flat rides. Their flat selection is honestly disgraceful.

Medu....err, "Bizarro" (Bizusa? Maybe Medarro??) is the best floorless coaster I've ridden to date, and some new "bells and whistles" won't change that. I give Six Flags credit for trying to revitalize the coaster, but the whole Bizarro theme is a puzzling choice, to me anyway. The paint job looks nice enough at least. It just seems like a cheap way to introduce a "new" attraction without actually putting in one. If I had my choice, they should've used the money from this and started putting in/replacing some flat rides. Their flat selection is honestly disgraceful.

I can agree with you in where the park does have a terrible selection of flats, but wouldn't you rather be riding Nitro or Toro than a flat?

Anyways, it looks great with the new paint. Much better than that rusty yellow and purple. It was a really fun ride, and this would probably just make it 5 times more fun, and also the waits 5 time as longer. Coooool......

It just seems like a cheap way to introduce a "new" attraction without actually putting in one. If I had my choice, they should've used the money from this and started putting in/replacing some flat rides. Their flat selection is honestly disgraceful.

That's exactly the reason for the re-theme. ...it's cheaper and it's a new experience without putting in a new attraction.

I also agree that Great Adventure need more good flats.

^^Well, yeah, who wouldn't want to be on Air Toro?

But my point is that the park seems like coasters and not much else. I love coasters as much as anyone, but even more than that I love to visit a park that offers a bit of everything. It just seemed odd to me that the park would ditch a good number of flats with this new Six Flags regime that is nicely focusing on families as much as thrills. A prime example of one of those "complete" parks that I've been to resides in the chain - Six Flags Great America. I was extremely impressed with what all they had to offer ride-wise, and that included loads of flats and some top notch coasters.

Hey Guys,

So when the chance came up for me to visit Great Adventure on its opening day, I said why not!

What the worst that can happen?

Its not like the park is going to be closed, right?...Right???

Well several things did happen, and I'm not talking about the drive home (long story).

So what follows is my recollection of the day, minus exploding stuffed animals.

Some notes:

-Wind, oh wind, why did you have to visit me on one of my two vacations this year. I only ask that you stay away on the days Im not working...which is my vacation days.

-Skull Mountain, you are my new love...just don't let Geauga Lake find out,......wait, she's out of the picture now, so who cares...World, Skull mountain is my favorite thing about Six Flags Great Adventure! Yes, I just said the unthinkable, but its the truth...and to think I fell in love with a sub par version of you...guess I dont have much taste...

-El Torro, why did you have to do it?...why did you have me thinking that you were the best coaster I have ever ridden on the first few hills, but when you did your first turn around, you loose all your energy? Its like you quit trying!!! You will just have to settle for #3 on my list, after Pheonix and Ravine Flyer II.

-Dark Knight, why did you not even meet my expectations? I was so expecting to love you, even with all the hate, but you just didnt show the same love to me...Its like you forgot to theme yourself during the second half. And you let me look up your skirt while I was leaving the building...very unprofessional!!

-Why am I talking like the coasters are people...I need a life...

-Only thing I did that day that wasn't a coaster was Fly Me to the Moon...In not so 3D I may add...stupid show, and for me thats strange, as I like just about anything, especially 3D wise.

On to the pictures...

31.jpg.7a9e5fb212b455c894f2bdcaaaca0936.jpg

...Big Ass Pizza!!!

19.jpg.21c495e65d47c601580bc8a35402f805.jpg

That ends it for my great adventure update, but theres a bonus part two with my journey to the jersey shore under construction...or should I say under funstruction...Oh Six Flags, I love your complex and life changing humor...who would have thought of changing a few letters to make construction more fun sounding...Ive got something to tell you...construction is still construction...not fun at all...until part two...

30.jpg.5123a820897625e7a7df3235bf051400.jpg

Ehhh...create your own caption... I'm to tired...

29.jpg.73683ee64392c8db87e8257cdfdbe753.jpg

Thank you starburst, now I know that when a Kinda Ka fan boy is crying about it being closed, I need to lean toward the tears, while eating a delicious candy just to rub it in his face...Thanks!

27.jpg.184c8d548177f6bf2a95acd828dda237.jpg

Yeah, the economy has even hurt the grand parade, turning it from something great into just crew members to fill its place pretending to enjoy their jobs...

26.jpg.882804132ab660062c81f817c55f4149.jpg

My first flyer of this kind, and it did not kill my balls...I guess Im just to manly.......to admit it did...but it didn't!

25.jpg.973f7d2a3c5b3da7ebf37e7df1453c23.jpg

If there was one thing that surprised me at the park it was these signs...they were so cool changing what they were advertising...I would look away for one second, and when I looked back, it would be something else... I'm calling it as witchcraft...and OMG the shadow monster is back....wow that was stupid...I should delete this whole caption...doing it now...

24.jpg.80f0122f15c9a4933cc40905e470357f.jpg

Hahahahaha...shiver me flippers...Six Flags you crack me up...such a creative play on words...I hope you win an oscar for that name...

23.jpg.c20ea8d5277aa68a82fbac8dc0e21a72.jpg

So as this was all new credit day, I figured why not get the kid coaster...It will be open...wait....it isn't open...why the heck is it not open...than I saw the Six Flags logo and my questioning went away...

22.jpg.25552ca109a92341b8c8f8721a710886.jpg

If someone can tell me what this is than you are lying to me, as there is no way of knowing what this is so dont even try...

20.jpg.68e6f81677f22ddecad08878fba5f974.jpg

Batman, why did you dissapoint me...wait, you were the good batman without a line...You were awesome!...You need to show the other batman coaster how its done...even though you are completely different types of coasters...scratch that, just keep doing what you do well...

18.jpg.0de9a995073408391ff5125a226035c9.jpg

Wow, thats impressive...that speaker can cover that whole area...

17.jpg.a58e70e48ff7ddeb541a25f660d19f22.jpg

Sure this picture has been in every trip report, but god dammit, its beautiful, and I'm keeping it in...deal with it...

16.jpg.e659adcb2fe1157042510fe0df8d42ac.jpg

So interesting story, I ask for chicken and fries, and a coke, and the total came to 3.49, I say did you get the chicken, and he said it was free since there was no button...OK, perhaps not that interesting, but the moral of the story is that nothing is free...yeah. has no relevance at all, but i figured I would try...

15.jpg.c8e7438276acae5fedcfed3ed559ce8c.jpg

Oh My God!!! El Torro's On Fire!!!!!

Eh, not really...but it still is my number three...See how I used a word that has two meanings...Im surprised I could do that...

14.jpg.a06ee3c537e9fee715c37d8656b24516.jpg

This guy travels the world doing something, and posts his experiences on some website, but I had never heard of him, I was apprehensive to take a picture with him, but he seemed nice, so when someone tells me what website he posts on, Ill have to check it out...

13.jpg.86acd9066fc0f8eb3078e04d43d629e9.jpg

Even the economy has hurt poor bugs, who has had to go to waiting to afford those carrots, and cannot even afford a new shirt...poor bugs...

12.jpg.6cd87def3f4d7fc0d33a4e2d1d31a6d7.jpg

On a more serious note, anybody know what is going on with this building...heard it was some type of dark ride, but not sure, any help would be great...oh, and I love big butts and can in fact lie...

11.jpg.62defff1aeb372a801dbe7c43f6f80af.jpg

Hmm...it looks and sounds painful, but is in fact fun...what does this remind you of...Wait...dont answer that...

10.jpg.ad3451c120fdb6dd21afab1e889971ac.jpg

I wanted to ride The Great American Scream Machine, but got stuck with the Scream Machini instead...not as good...

9.jpg.ab0999209b7bc3c78beb0aeda2e0ea69.jpg

Im sure people in the park are thinking "Guys, we just drove 3 days and paid $50 to ride some coasters...but screw them, lets eat what I can get for half the price in my city, Papa Johns!" Next thing you'll be telling me that there are Burger Kings in other amusement parks...

8.jpg.d9d2d30f4651b251fe5ccd9fa6346668.jpg

Aw how cute, oversized soda bottles to put your empty undersized soda can/bottles in... at least they served as great bowling pins to the winds on that day!

7.jpg.ea16d3acc41d7b7e95a421a4fffe5114.jpg

How's it going Tony...Err, Matt, sorry!...BTW anyone find it weird that the guy in the background matches the candy vending machine?...food for thought!

28.jpg.1572b5ea050cbf776217512ff3d50870.jpg

I love you, will you marry me?........Did I just ask a coaster to marry me? Wow Matt, thats an all time low...Oh, and credit #100 for me...

6.jpg.25a02b9bcb66865a63181e5b32a93024.jpg

So I was in the station, cars away from getting credit #99, and I hear this siren, and the me who denies everything said that oh, thats the celebration horn, and the first riders of 2009 are about to depart, but the realistic me, who has since not been allowed to think again, said oh crap....there goes the day...

5.jpg.99d0e406aa6b0700cbc4b9ae56c1da78.jpg

Batman has just ridden the Dark Knight...

4.jpg.72365226ea81ec097641b063f05c4144.jpg

Lets play a little game...You tell me which one of these were closed at opening, and I tell you NO DUH as I tried to get on them...

3.jpg.b0531dc982d571f3fc4701568bdb63b6.jpg

Its hard to believe that all of these people were in line for the ferris wheel...it may have looked like they were running for Nitro, but they were just doing 360's around that giant multi colored wheel...they loved it that much...

2.jpg.6640a0c5341bd3d19958efaed22df049.jpg

While the people I was with were looking at the coasters, I was looking at the blue van a few cars away...it looked amazing...stood out in the skyline, and HAD A TIRE ON THE BACK OF IT!!! You know what, I dont even think thats a van, but who cares, it was getting me excited for the day!!!

1.jpg.ce217f7821e62ed8fd0d3a635813ae1b.jpg

Well with those gas prices, this has to be a great day! I have a feeling that Im gonna get 10 rides on Nitro in a row! I just know it...

Mmmm...ass pizza....

So interesting story, I ask for chicken and fries, and a coke, and the total came to 3.49, I say did you get the chicken, and he said it was free since there was no button...OK, perhaps not that interesting, but the moral of the story is that nothing is free...

Actually, I think the moral is that things without buttons are free. I'm gonna go order some T-shirts now.

Thanks for the TR, you've got some great shots there!

That building did house a dark ride, and I wouldn't be surprised if all the show elements still remain. It was called Houdini's Great Escape and was a Vekoma Madhouse that has been closed since a blackout in the park showed a serious design flaw that I believe wouldn't allow the exit doors open. Apparently the guests pounded on the nonfunctioning doors until they damaged some of their mechanisms.

It was a cool little dark ride, and actually well-themed with an above average story line. It's a shame it's been "dark" literally for like...three season now.

On a more serious note, anybody know what is going on with this building...heard it was some type of dark ride, but not sure, any help would be great...

I'm pretty sure that was a Vekoma Mad House named Houdini's Great Escape. More info can be found here:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Houdini.htm

I'm quite surprised to hear El Toro let you down, though. Most reviews I read of it are glowing. Great Trip Report though, the photos really made me miss Great Adventure. It's been way too long since I've been there!

EDIT:

Oops, it seems I've been beat to the punch.

It reminds me of my first SFNE visit. It was in the rain. I got S:ROS but Cyclone and Flashback were closed. I just came back the next weekend, both were opened, and I nailed it.

SFGADV needs entirely new bumper cars. I hated their condition.

Great Adventure looks very clean from the past few years but the lack of flats and closed flats seems to be ruining the park...at least IMO. I mean they have a great collection of coasters.....but what else is really there?? I'd rather head to Dorney or Hersheypark and be able to ride coasters and some flats. Eltoro is worth the trip but not every year.....

I cant believe there are others out there who LOVES Skull Mountain.

We should start a fan club and that would consist of me and two other people, my best friends, who are Skull Mountain fan girls/boys...when we end up at Great Adventure...we ride it as many times in a row as we can (in the back seat, of course).

We are in good company as Elissa is a Skull Mountain fangirl, also. It was a walk-on for the last car on Sunday, I'm hoping for the same this Sunday morning.