TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ Except that the Intamin woodies don't feel like an Intamin steel coaster. Granted they are a lot smoother than your traditional wood coaster (which IMO is a MUCH better ride experience) but they don't feel like steel coasters either.

This is the evolution of the wood coaster, making it a smoother more enjoyable ride, while still feeling like a woodie. Just like B&M smoothed out the rougher Arrow steelies and made them a smoother more enjoyable experience. It's evolution. It just took a lot longer for wood coasters!

--Robb

True that, yes. They're obviously "rougher" than you traditional Intamin (but smoother than many Vekomas).

If you think it's a better ride experience, go ahead. I simply can't say it since it's so different.

I aggree on it beeing a evolution. However, I do not want them to replace the classic wooden coaster. Do you want that?! I really doubt that...

Do you want that?! I really doubt that...

YES!!!! I would love knowing that everytime I go ride a wooden coaster it has a much better chance of being as I remembered it the year or two years before.

There's nothing more depressing that riding a GREAT woodie, only to go back 3 or 4 years later and having it suck.

And I'd say that a GOOD percentage of woodies out there suffer from this.

If the Intamin woodie could make the frequency of that happening much less, I would rather replace ALL woodies with the Intamin track.

I mean, imagine how much better something like SoB would have been with this style of track? I can think of a number of coasters off the top of my head that might actually still be good today had this technology 10 years ago! Can you even imagine how AWESOME GhostRider would be if it was an Intamin?

--Robb

Robb, wouldn't that basically result in the death of rough woodies?

Surely you don't want ALL wooden coasters to start riding and feeling the same, do you? It'd get quite boring I'd imagine.

Exactly my point. Yes, of course there are quite a few coasters that would benefit from that, SoB is the perfect example...

But retracking some with this "new track" is kind of like making the old school 8-bit mario look realistic...

Robb, wouldn't that basically result in the death of rough woodies?

Surely you don't want ALL wooden coasters to start riding and feeling the same, do you? It'd get quite boring I'd imagine.

How would that be different from, let's say, Intamin hypers? There are several different track layouts, but they don't ride and feel the same. Millennium Force is much different than Expedition GeForce which is different than Goliath which is different than S:ROS.

All of them ride extremely well, fairly smooth, and deliver an AWESOME ride.

Or what about B&M Inverts? Top Gun is very different from Batman which is very different from Pyrenees which is very different from Nemesis, etc, etc...

Saying that ALL coasters of any one type all "ride and feel the same" well...just flat out isn't true! And it wouldn't be if, let's hypothetically say that all current woodies got retracked with Intamin's track design.

But I stand by my opinion, and I can only think of a HANDFULL of current woodies that shouldn't get the "Intamin treatment" if it were possible....

--Robb

Well, Balder and Colossus are both Intamin wood coasters, and they don't feel like the same ride. And I'd kill to get Ghostrider rides like the ones I got back in 2000. So I'm all for more of these Intamin woodies to be built. I'm tired of coasters that turn to crap after a year or so...

dt

But retracking some with this "new track" is kind of like making the old school 8-bit mario look realistic...

And going off on that analogy....

If people wanted to be stuck 20 years in time, the NES would still be on store shevles today.

--Robb "There is nothing wrong with evolving technology that makes something BETTER and more reliable." Alvey

And how would that be a bad thing? lol

I aggree with you just in a few points. but just comming back from Holiday World experiencing some of the wildest rides I've ever had, I KNOW that I would never want them to have this new track style!

Same goes probably for many classics like the Jack Rabbit...

It'd be good for some coasters, no discussion, yes...

I wouldn't want any wooden rollercoasters to get this track!

I know what poor mantenience can do to a wooden rollercoaster, I live right down the road from Gwazi, after all, but on the other hand, Gwazi is the only ride left in the park that doesn't bore me, because every ride is completely different from the last, unlike, say, a B&M. While I've never been on a Intamin wooden, from what you're saying right now, that wouldn't be true if Gwazi was built with the Intamin track, and, for me, that would be a great loss.

I aggree with you just in a few points. but just comming back from Holiday World experiencing some of the wildest rides I've ever had, I KNOW that I would never want them to have this new track style!

And those are some of the few that I could think of that wouldn't need it.

I mean, of the parks that come to mind: Holiday World, Knoebel's, Silverwood, Blackpool, Kennywood, Martin's, Lake Compounce, Indiana Beach, etc that actually take CARE of their woodies wouldn't need it.

But for the larger corporate parks, man, think about how amazing most of those Six Flags, Paramount, and Cedar Fair woodies would be with the Intamin track?

And trust me Chauncy, if Gwazi rode anything like Balder, you wouldn't ride any other coaster in the park...EVER!!!

--Robb "I still say if GhostRider or Tonnerre De Zeus were Intamins they would never leave the #1 spot!" Alvey

And those are some of the few that I could think of that wouldn't need it.

I mean, of the parks that come to mind: Holiday World, Knoebel's, Silverwood, Blackpool, Kennywood, Martin's, Lake Compounce, Indiana Beach, etc that actually take CARE of their woodies wouldn't need it.

Okay, since those are the only ones i'd really care not to be retracked, i think I can live with your opinion, lol...

Like I said several times. I have NOTHING against this new track style. In fact, i'm quite excited about El Toro!

The only reason I didn't like Balder and Colossos as much is that the just deliver airtime and nothing else...

How would that be different from, let's say, Intamin hypers? There are several different track layouts, but they don't ride and feel the same. Millennium Force is much different than Expedition GeForce which is different than Goliath which is different than S:ROS.

All of them ride extremely well, fairly smooth, and deliver an AWESOME ride.

Or what about B&M Inverts? Top Gun is very different from Batman which is very different from Pyrenees which is very different from Nemesis, etc, etc...

Saying that ALL coasters of any one type all "ride and feel the same" well...just flat out isn't true! And it wouldn't be if, let's hypothetically say that all current woodies got retracked with Intamin's track design.

But I stand by my opinion, and I can only think of a HANDFULL of current woodies that shouldn't get the "Intamin treatment" if it were possible....

--Robb

Oh, I didn't mean that all wooden coasters would end-up being exactly alike - I just meant that, by eliminating a lot of the things that aren't on Intamin P&Ps, then you would be left with those few elements and features, only in a different order.

For instance, I know a lot of people feel that B&M is losing their luster, and that many of their rides feel very similar; all the loops feel the same, all the immelmans feel the same, the negative-Gs on their hypers feel the same, etc., it's just that they're in a different order. I myself don't think it's quite that bad, but I can definitely understand these grievances. This is where I give Intamin credit - they really seem to come-out with completely unique lay-outs with unique, odd-feeling inversions ("flying snake dive"), with unusual transitions and a general out-of-control feeling that many B&Ms lack.

THAT'S what I meant when I said many of them would feel the same: that while each lay-out would be unique, the sensations would be similar, as wooden coasters seem to have more "variables" as it pertains to rides, as even woodies that are almost identical can feel completely different, especially if they were built/designed by different companies, and, thus, accelerate faster, or handle differently in different weather, etc. If those two similar-*looking* coasters are now re-built by the same company using the same technology, they'll likely FEEL almost identical, too. It's not a case of "'Batman: The Ride' vs. 'Raptor'" then, but more like two "B:TR"s.

That's all I meant.

And trust me Chauncy, if Gwazi rode anything like Balder, you wouldn't ride any other coaster in the park...EVER!!!

Oh man, i thought Gwazi delivered a pretty hefty thrill... but trying to imagine the ride a hell of a lot smoother along with its constant intensity is like a wet dream! Gwazi is one of the best rides in the park and its odd you dont hear many compliments about it from anyone.

After seeing your report and pictures of El Toro coming to Six Flags Great America, all I could say was "WOW" This coaster looks like it could be a much worthy replacement to the now-defunct and would-like-to-be-fofgotten Viper. This coaster reminds me of Goliath (the new coaster being constructed in Six Flags over Georgia): a king-sized coaster that takes its riders around the park and around another smaller-sized coaster. All I can say is "Get your season passes now!" 8)

I had ditched my season pass years ago, but the way SFGADV has been improving lately coupled with the new coasters, I think I'm back in next year. El Toro is pretty exciting; it has the potential to be as significant a coaster as Batman the Ride was a back in 1993.

After seeing your report and pictures of El Toro coming to Six Flags Great America, all I could say was "WOW" This coaster looks like it could be a much worthy replacement to the now-defunct and would-like-to-be-fofgotten Viper. This coaster reminds me of Goliath (the new coaster being constructed in Six Flags over Georgia): a king-sized coaster that takes its riders around the park and around another smaller-sized coaster. All I can say is "Get your season passes now!" 8)

It is being built at Great Adventure, not Great America.