TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they create a totally new themed area and a new kiddie section LAST year as well? I guess the formula works...

El Toro looks amazing and should be a really fun ride. Personally, I don't care much for "tallest" or "longest" or whatnot... as long as it's a fun and enjoyable ride, what's to complain about?

I guess my new pipe dream for SFMM is to have them replace Psyclone with a Intamin plug-and-play woodie that sprawls across the back of the park towards Riddler's and then returns to its origin.

Only took six years for my last pipe dream (a terrain flyer) to come true at SFMM...

^You know that's been a rumor since Colossos, that an Intamin prefab would run the back of the park in a L shaped out n back with Psyclone possibly being removed for it. The flyer rumor had also been going around for the longest time anyone remember the Nightwing rumor, well the flyer rumor has come true lets hope that perfab out n back does too.

Edited by DonkeyBreath

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they create a totally new themed area and a new kiddie section LAST year as well? I guess the formula works...

Well, the thing is, they have that 2007 hotel that is opening up. They had to do something to bring attention to the park in hopes of getting the hotel off the ground and be successful. The first phase of the operation was Kingda Ka and the Golden Kingdom, which although it can be debated whether it was all successful in terms of many things, it certainly brought a lot of attention to the park. This is stage two: main thing being a record breaking wooden coaster. Although it might not carry as much glitz and glamour, it is definately more solid and really fills the gap that Great Adventure has had - being a good wood coaster. Along the way they have improved a lot all the way around (cleanliness, ride operations, security etc.) Of course they still have a long way to go with that stuff, but they have definately improved this year as compared to the last few years. So basically, it is just to bring people back to the park and get them interested and thinking that it could be a true destination park. Well, a family destination park to be more specific.

As of the last SF corporate conference call, SFGAdv's attendance was up 240,000 over ly (even while Kingda Ka was down for 6 weeks), so I'd say the strategy is definitely paying off.

I really think they will try a similar treatment (thrills+families+themeing) at SFMM.

Remember though ... Ghostrider is kind of an out and back with twister elements. And when that ride opened it was touted as the #1 woodie for a few years before Knott's let it go to hell. I think it would still be considered a Top 5 woodie if it weren't in the shape it was in now.

This is why you need to go ride this thing next year before SF let's it go to hell.

Nah, Ghostie is in no way a twister ride. Its a L shaped double out and back. It may have a few twister moments, but the out and back dominates those features. Ive never seen the "twister" in it ever. Ive always thought because of the L shape it was a clever way to fit a HUGE out and back into a smaller area instead of the ultra-classic shape of Shivering Timbers. Its kind of what ST would be if you smashed it down into a smaller area.

The off-ride video was good.

36 is a normal number for a woodie. It's about the upper limit for a woodie train but still normal.

I would call 24 normal for a woodie. There may be others, but this is the first 36 seater I've heard of. (Balder and Colossos have 30 seats per train) I'm sure they made El Toro 36 seats to keep the long lines moving, since Great Adventure has a very high yearly attendance.

Does anyone know more about Bugs Bunny National Park? SFGAdv sure has a lot of kiddie areas. They have the Golden Kingdom and the Looney Tunes Seaport. I just hope they put in a kiddie coaster because I need the credit!

As of the last SF corporate conference call, SFGAdv's attendance was up 240,000 over ly (even while Kingda Ka was down for 6 weeks), so I'd say the strategy is definitely paying off.

I really think they will try a similar treatment (thrills+families+themeing) at SFMM.

That is because a lot of people still did not know that Kingda Ka was down. There were so many upset people that came to the park expecting the ride to be operating, and then ended up going to Guest Relations screaming "If it is broken, why don't you fix it?!?!"

Ok, I'll put it out there, I am a SFMM basher. I'm sorry, I'm sure I will get pounced on for that, but, if they do start doing things right there like the theming and overall improvement, that would be a great thing.

I would call 24 normal for a woodie. There may be others, but this is the first 36 seater I've heard of. (Balder and Colossos have 30 seats per train) I'm sure they made El Toro 36 seats to keep the long lines moving, since Great Adventure has a very high yearly attendance.

The Beast and Son of Beast (PKI) has 36 seats per train

Hopefully they rehab RT's station and give it a new Spanish tile roof or something and get it out of the 70's. I also wish the coaster went the other way back into the woods, it seems so big along the lake and ruins the feel of Frontier land. It also seemed like a waste to fix the area up just to tear it up again for the coaster.

As for the flats I hope they stay. The Huss break dance could be incorporated into the theme.

Even thou the state made them slow it down because that one kid early in the year. The Rotor could be moved to the Chaos spot if they choose to let it go, which in this case should be 100% correct. As for SWAT, any new flat would be a welcome. I also like the idea of a new drop tower.

Hopefully they keep the bridge, In the rendition I'm not sure they would show a path to lead to a dead end but who knows. If they do keep it, it would serve as a great place to take pictures.

Here is a picture I took from that spot of Viper's old station that they are keeping to house ET.

Other than that I can't wait to ride.

1510224398_vipersstation.JPG.59b8b0724c62e45fe8c63bbe3453c239.JPG

ET's New Home

342318908_VIPERONE.jpg.985dba3ed6d7bbe239c7b70faf64d53f.jpg

Bye viper

From looking at the pictures I am sure they are keeping the bridge. They probably had it closed for construction from removing viper and now building El Toro. As for the nice landscaping they put in. I am sure they will still have most of it left and looking just as good or better then it was this year. I am sure the theme and landscaping will be great. They did an awesome job fixing the landscaping around the park. But they did re pave the parking lot the year before they built SUF so who knows.

The guys who did the rendering do not know if the bridge is staying either because they were not told. If you look at the various pictures and videos, you can see that it is just a dead end path, but that is not set in stone.

As for LTNP, there hasn't been any other information released besides it being "Lakeside". Speculation is that it will go either underneath the Log Flume, or in between the Bandstand and the Lakefront arena.

^^^ It wasn't a waste to fix up the area for this year. The area looked really nice with flowers and everything. It is the small things like that that add up to be very big. It was one of the nicer areas in the park - looking over the water and seeing nice flowers and vibrant colors.