TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Now if only they hadn't taken out the Pendulum.

I have no idea why they took this ride out; it was probably the best of the new flats. (not many of them left) I'm sure Chaos will be removed as well next. Any idea why they removed the Frisbee, Double Inverter, and the Huss Jump? It's not as though they didn't have the room.

Oh man, that stinks. Jumpin' Jack Flash was pretty cool.

The amazing thing is how Evolution "mysteriously" started working when it was moved to SFStl. Crazy.

Everyone has been complaining around here (as in locally around the park and stuff) that the flats are leaving and starting to die and they need to put new flats in and stuff. I agree, but if they are going to go for that kind of quality, such as SWAT, they can take out Rodeo Stampede and Taz Twister. Screw those rides. I just hope that the capacity of the park improves and stuff because the place can get way too crowded.

Now if only they hadn't taken out the Pendulum.

I have no idea why they took this ride out; it was probably the best of the new flats. (not many of them left) I'm sure Chaos will be removed as well next. Any idea why they removed the Frisbee, Double Inverter, and the Huss Jump? It's not as though they didn't have the room.

Chaos will go for sure. I have no doubt.

And don't think that the changing is going to stop here. I have a good feeling that Stuntman's Freefall is close to the top of the list (maybe a drop tower of some sorts there?).

Everything is looking up for Great Adventure.

Yeah maybe this is some sort of '3-Ride' package deal with Intamin! I vote for Intamin Drop Tower next!

They should keep some of those flatrides you mentioned as they have lower height restrictions than the bigger flatrides.

On another note I managed at least 3 rides on Evolution on 2 separate visits...Jump on the other hand I also never even saw run!

Yeah they probably should keep those rides, but I have a bad feeling that they might not. They are probably going to the graveyard eventhough they could probably fit in well with the theming of the new area and stuff. From what I have heard, they are gone for good. Hopefully the park will have something up their sleeves to compensate for it.

The amazing thing is how Evolution "mysteriously" started working when it was moved to SFStl. Crazy.

I think it was mentioned on a Great Adventure site that the reason why it works better now is because the ride had to have some modification done to it and in NJ, something along the lines of the park not being able to make those modifications without the manufacturer's permission but that wasn't the case when it was moved so SFStl.

If this were an intamin 3-pack, i would want a drop tower and gyro swing, but its not.

BTW, it is a good thing they didn't take down the bridge going from Medusa to where Viper used to be.

Well, if it is a 3-pack, you would only get one of those anyway Kingda Ka + El Toro = 2

That whole not being able to get back to Medusa was a pain in the butt having to walk all the way around and everything. I hated that. It's a good thing I'm in excellent condition because that was a hike and a half to get back there without the use of the bridge.

Elissa, how in the heck did you ever ride Evolution?

That is the most intense spinning ride I have been on and I do spinning rides, knowing your tolerance for them how did that ever work?

Excalibur (nee Evolution) now runs flawlessly at SFStL, a fact that I find quite funny.

Pendulum looks absolutely great in it's new location at SFGAm, but it looks so much tinier now then it did at GADv.

I'm so excited for next year! Great Adventure has been improving so much in the past two years, I'm glad to hear that things will only get better.

I'm also happy to see that the ride is staying within current park borders rather than extending into the parking lot...

Mark "It's nice to see the park gearing towards families" Luskus

That 1st drop looks lovely, I bet the Q for the front and back seats will be quite long.

The design/layout is one of the best yet, nice sweeping banked curves and the banked dropping return towards the lifthill is wonderfull.

You guys who live near the park are so lucky to have a "woodie" like this. Season ticket comin up

After watching the video I didn't see the cable lift mentioned by GACoaster (The Greatest Photographer of ALL-TIME), however, these vids are not always 100% accurate, especially last year's Kingda Ka vid with the all yellow trains. Also, magnetic brakes usually are used on coasters with dual loading stations (switch-tracks), in this case, I expect a combination of the air-lock brakes and magnetic brakes or just air-locks, as magnetic brakes tend to just slow the coaster down instead of being able to hold it in place, for say, a train was loading in the station and the train is being held by air-lock breaks outside the station. However, during the video, I could have sworn I saw the Kingda Ka/Stormrunner style mag-brakes on some of the smaller hills, maybe I'm losing my marbles early in life at almost 16...

Anyways, El Toro being at my second home park (First home park being Adventureland Long Island, however they appear to be in a people chucking phase, amazing how we all learn to chuck objects from crazy Togo and Morgan coasters) is AMAZING...after riding Kingda Ka, a one-trick pony, and having loved every woodie at Hershey, I was really hoping for SF to build a kick-arse woodie, and it looks like that hope is coming to reality in 2006!!!

My only complaint is short legnth of the ride, but other than that I think it looks absolutley wonderful. I have plans to visit the park next year for the first time. Mayby I will choose this for #100? Looking forward to next year!
That was kind of my initial reaction too, but then I realized it still is in the top 20 'longest wood coasters' in the world, and I think in the top 15 in the US.

It's longer than SFMM's Colossus, Timber Wolf, Tonnerre De Zeus, Legend, Villain, Twister, etc, and I consider those all pretty long rides.

And it's only 9 feet shorter than Heide Park's Colossos and that also seems like a decent length ride to me too.

There is a certain argument to "longer isn't always better...." as proven by the top five "longest coasters in the world" Daidarasaurus, Ultimate, Beast, Son of Beast, Fujiyama.

--Robb

The ride time isnt very long because it will have a very good dose of momentum. But what its worth, I think another 1000 ft of track could have been mashed in somewhere to give it a more Balder style feel at the end.

My only gripe with the ride is the layout. It has no identity. It tries to be an out and back but fails. It then tries to be a twister but I hardly think 3 turns + a helix and couple turns after makes it a twister. GCI's are twisters. I really think they just wanted a record here. It just seems to lack a certain "This is what I was made for" quality aside from that first drop. The beginning looks awesome - who doesnt love repetitious airtime?! But once it turns back it just seems to lose its spirit. I think had more time been spent to actually make the end a twister this thing could be the "Balder/Colossus" killer it should have been. Its not like SFGA doesnt have the money to throw around

I cant remember the ride but Ive been on a few rides that try to pass off as a "combo" ride with 2 styles and one style has to dominate the other for it to work. You need either more twister or more airtime. This seems to be perfectly split into 2 sections with neither being more stunning than the other. Though Im sure the first set of hills will be awesomer

STUPID SFGAdv., getting all the rides SFMM deserves. I say we replace psyclone with a balder clone. Sure, its another clone, but I doubt anyone would complain.

This ride looks great, and i hope that they put in that spinning ballon kiddie ride that they have at SFMM. IT IS INSANE! about a billion times better than the teacups. all of you need to ride that ride. The best thing is that you can spin it before the ride even starts!

After watching the video I didn't see the cable lift mentioned by GACoaster (The Greatest Photographer of ALL-TIME),

I thank you for the compliment, and I apologize. I was misinformed by my informant, and El Toro WILL have a chain lift. Sorry, my cell phone was breaking up when I got the call...

I cant remember the ride but Ive been on a few rides that try to pass off as a "combo" ride with 2 styles and one style has to dominate the other for it to work. You need either more twister or more airtime. This seems to be perfectly split into 2 sections with neither being more stunning than the other. Though Im sure the first set of hills will be awesomer

Remember though ... Ghostrider is kind of an out and back with twister elements. And when that ride opened it was touted as the #1 woodie for a few years before Knott's let it go to hell. I think it would still be considered a Top 5 woodie if it weren't in the shape it was in now.

This is why you need to go ride this thing next year before SF let's it go to hell.