TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

wow that looks sweet, now I am looking foward to my SFGAv 2006 trip even more! looks a lot like colosus at Heide Park in Germany...oh well that drop looks perticularly insane, hmmm it looks as if Voyage will have some competition for best 2006 woodie, we shall see.

Edited by M_Force_4_ever

^ So, half of Voyage would bore you too, right?

I think this thing will be better than Voyage in the long run, since i have a sneaking suspicion that these Gravity Group coasters will tear themselves apart running PTCs on those insanely twisted tracks with normal wood so to say.

^ So, half of Voyage would bore you too, right?.

Yes. I didn't mean that particular comment as being a comparison with The Voyage, just as a general thing, essentially hoping people would build really twisted wooden (and steel, for that matter) rollercoasters on this sort of scale, because that's what I prefer.

This is no match for the Voyage, thats for sure.

Still, going to be a great addition to Great Adventure. Im not sure if I dig the switchback section which seems a little like "just trying to get back to station" ish, but meh. The airtime should be good.

^ So, half of Voyage would bore you too, right?

I think this thing will be better than Voyage in the long run, since i have a sneaking suspicion that these Gravity Group coasters will tear themselves apart running PTCs on those insanely twisted tracks with normal wood so to say.

You are incorrect. GG developed a new way to track their coasters along with new techniques and design. Their designs are far smoother than past designs which helps alot. Their lead ins are slightly longer and the overall package is just WAY more refined than before. I am quite sure they looked into the integrity of their designs considering they have taken a very intense approach to wooden design.

From the moment I saw up close pictures of Hades track I knew something was a bit different.

Looks like an excellent coaster, but what a contrast in ride it will be next to Rolling Thunder. RT seems to be getting some attention these days, but I hope part of the refurb of this area of the park will include making RT the coaster it once was. The SFGADV site says "Monstrous Coaster and New Kids Section" . This happened with Kingda Ka; huge coaster with a bunch of kiddie rides. I just wish GADV would have a more balanced approach in their expansions. This park has lost way too many flat rides; besides the coasters there just isn't much that's interesting in this park.

WOW!!! That coaster looks insane for a woodie. I thought there would be more to it because on the Lisberg video, the POV of Balder looked to last ages, and I thought this would have lasted ages. Well it does last over 1:30mins. Who, knows, we well just have to wait to see what it will be like when it opens. Although I do think it looks amazing.

Please stop comparing this to the Voyage! Once you've ridden it you know what I mean, they're just not comparable. No doubt this will be a sweet ride, and probably one of the best in 2006, but so is The Voyage. They will just feel naturally completely different...

If you don't expect you classic Woodie, but expect a fast, smooth and airtime filled ride like on a Hyper, you will most definately not be dissapointed!

Looks great, I looking forward to the Voyage and the new woodie at Beach Bend much more as they are much closer to home.

But I will gladly make my yearly trip to GADV for this, it really looks awesome.

I cannot belive how many quality woodies will be built next year. If Vogage is the Spawn of Hades and Shivering Timbers, that shoudl be incredible, beach Bend's woodie looks awesome and if Thunderhead is any indication the days of twisty fun yet not intense GCI's is long over, and then this looks like the spawn of Balder and Collusus.

With so much great wood around I am almost tempted to be gay...almost .

Edited by MagnumForce

^^ Agreed. Can we PLEASE not turn this into a "Voyage Bashing Thread?" Because:

1. None of you have ridden either coaster.

2. The fact that we have the potential to get TWO great wooden coasters in one year hasn't happened in what 6 years?

If there is any coaster next year that might suffer from this is the Beech Bend one. It's already gotten little to no exposure and if Voyage and El Toro are as awesome as they look, that could be the 'forgotten about' coaster of 2006.

That being said there really isn't any reason to bash El Toro either! Congrats to BOTH parks for building such amazing looking rides!

--Robb "Please keep this thread positive as this is a GREAT thing for next year!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Simply put, I think this is a very solid addition to a park that needs a good wooden coaster to round out their coaster collection more than Donald Trump needs a good hair day. From what it looks like, it will be full of airtime and of course be very fast. That 76 degree this is just, unreal. It seems a little short, but it really looks to pack a punch in that short ride time. I can't wait to ride it. I hope it is open for the first Coasters After Dark next year so I can get some quality laps in on it.

It is really hard not to compare it to Voyage considering they are two premier wooden coasters coming out next year at two well known parks. I do have to say, that El Toro is a little less impressive after hearing about The Voyage last month. But, it is kind of hard to not be impressed by a big and steep drop that El Toro brings. I am impressed and it is basically what I expected.

Ok, here is my 3 minute thought on this...(3 minutes because then I need to leave for work...maybe I will feel different later)

- This is really good for SFGAd and coaster enthusiasts.

- IMO it does not 'look' as good as Balder or Colossos, but I also thought that Balder looked kind of small and stupid and look what that turned into!

- This makes me mad because SFGAd has now gotten two awesome Intamin coasters (even if one of them barely works and tears itself apart) and SFMM has gotten a parking lot medusa clone and now a B&M Flyer. I will gladly trade about 14 out of 16 of our coasters for your new woody...any buyers?!?!

- The name...I know names aren't important but I just can't call it 'el toro' we need to come up with a good nickname. ET perhaps? Granted it's better than X, Scream, or XScream, but all I can picture is the movie Independance Day when the guy tells Will Smith that "don't you know, El Toro's been destroyed".

- 2 Trains...well if you get a good crew and without a mid-course I guess this could be okay.

that's all for now...I'm sure I'll come up with more later!

^ The ride is so short that I don't really think it needs more than 2, especially without mid course brakes.

And yeah, what is with these New Jersey parks and their names for wooden coasters. I mean come on: J2? El Toro? Yuck. Oh well, at least El Toro fits with what they are doing. As long as it is a good ride, I'll be a happy little elf.

2. The fact that we have the potential to get TWO great wooden coasters in one year hasn't happened in what 6 years?

THREE!!!!

And the best thing about it is that all 3 will be very different!

With The Voyage you get your classic Woodie par exelence with everything you could wish for.

With El Toro you get the modern smooth Hybrid, most likely packed with steep drops, lots of airtime and nice quick turns.

With the Beech Bend Coaster you get once again what looks to be one of GCI's best works. A Twister par excelence!

So we get an GG, an Intamin and a GCI! Comparison is so out of place! We should all be extrmely happy!

OK, wow, here are my thoughts

its looks AWESOME and very intense, just the way I like it, to bad its SO far away for me. I'm still going to try to get to the Voyage first, as I believe Holiday world would be a more enjoyable family experience, and uh yeah Raven and Legend play a small part as well

I have to say though, it looks like we are getting two unreal coasters for 2006, what a GREAT time to be a wooden coaster fan, I LOVE IT

as for beach bend, i'll wait to see how it looks, but i'm sure it will be pretty good, the new coasters coming out now all seem great

With El Toro you get the modern smooth Hybrid, most likely packed with steep drops

Well, duh

Isn't comparison part of what makes things interesting a fun though? You know that after people ride them they will be comparing, placing things into their Top whatever lists. That is what makes some of this stuff fun. I'm not saying go out and bash each coaster like you know what you are talking about without riding the ride (i.e. "Voyage is SOOOO much better than this" or "El Toro is going to rock over Voyage"). I hate that crap too. But, it is fun to speculate. And don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the way these annoucements are turning out. I am beyond happy and excited.

After riding Colossus and Balder this year, I'm really looking forward to this. And looks can not tell the whole story, as looking at Balder, you wouldn't initially think it's the kickass airtime machine that it is.

I'm getting a bit tired of the Voyage hype. No one has been on it, so lets wait and see just how much airtime it or any other coaster ends up having. I will say that one thing in El Toro's favor is that you'll be able to get night rides on it without attending a 2000+ person enthusiast/ACEr plagued event...

dt