TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I gotta agree with what you guys are saying. I rode it during Coaster Celebration this past weekend and we need a new category for the airtime on this thing. Strongest I've ever felt on the nearly 500 coasters I've experienced. I honestly don't think I can even rank or compare it to other wooden coasters, the experience is that different.

I knew that moment of airtime was coming after reading some reviews and it still surprised me.

On my third ride I wanted to see how long I was out of my seat on the second airtime hill, and I actually got to about 3 1/4 Mississippi. And I count a slow to average Mississippi - none of that fast crap. I was out of my seat 1/4 of the way up the hill and then didn't start to go back down until 3/4 of the way down. That is pretty sick.

^Rich here is a comparison. Not as good! First they completely staple you in on El Toro, you still get air but it is not the free air you get on Balder. The last 1/3 twister portion is good. However, the turns are too far apart to enjoy the overbanked turns yet too close together to make for a good trick track.

Keep in mind I'm one of the few from the UK Trip that doesn't have Balder as my favorite woodie, it is my 5th favorite and I'd put El Toro at #12. I'll be riding a couple of times this summer so that opinion may change.

Well its good to see that they fixed the problems it was having and that they finally got the second train on. Now if they would only work on their dispatch times and stapling.

I still don't like the idea of the cable lift on a woodie.

Well...for someone to have it as #12, it can't be that amazing. I will be up there next Wednesday. I expect it to be good, but I definitely don't think it will be the best coaster ever. This thing hasn't been open for that long....wait a little bit longer and you will start seeing people say how it is a good ride, but not #1. It has already started to happen and even this topic has really died down.

^Hey, don't judge it before you ride it! And trust me, it is definatly a top ten coaster.

^^Yeah, they have been having problems with the cable. It was even closed for a couple days (Sunday until Today) becuase of the cable lift.

Here is the full story:http://www.gainsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1481

Anytime there is a breakdown of some sort there is always some kind of overreaction that takes place in the minds of many people. Rides have malfunctions sometimes that cause it to be down for a day or two. I'm sure the kinks were worked out and everything is fine. It just sucks if you go to the park and expect to get a ride in on the new coaster - hence the overreaction.

Well, I have ridden over 100 steel and when I think of my #12, it isn't the greatest thing ever haha. I am definitely not thinking this will be bad. I want it to be good. My wooden coaster list isn't filled with that many good ones. I definitely don't go to a coaster and cross my fingers that it will be bad....although I did do that with Dragster. With the layout of this ride and especially compared to the other Intamin woodies and even some of the other woodies made by Gravity Group and GCI, there is no way this is a #1.

My thoughts exactly. With any new ride, the people who ride it first are usually the ones who say its number 1. Of course, it was probably anticipated #1 way before it even opened. I'm expecting it to be good (great in terms of Jersey standards) but I highly doubt it'll be #1 (of course, I have been on 126 different wood coasters so far). Even if its only like #12, that's still the top 10%.

I have been on it 3 times, including front and back, and this coaster is better than Kingda Ka. The airtime is INSANE, and it is sustained. The hill over Rolling Thunder is just pure and nothing else. I think Team Theme Park Review should organize a trip to Gadv and ride this.

The lift hill is FASTER than Millenium Force.[/img]

Well, I have ridden over 100 steel and when I think of my #12, it isn't the greatest thing ever haha. I am definitely not thinking this will be bad. I want it to be good. My wooden coaster list isn't filled with that many good ones. I definitely don't go to a coaster and cross my fingers that it will be bad....although I did do that with Dragster. With the layout of this ride and especially compared to the other Intamin woodies and even some of the other woodies made by Gravity Group and GCI, there is no way this is a #1.

I don't know - can there only be one amazing ride? It almost sounds like you have this "all or nothing" mentality"

And, to some people, it will be a #1. Big deal, nothing wrong with that!

I'm just hoping for El Toro to be sweet and we'll see where it lands!

I was first in line today for when it re-opened (11:15am ...1hr 15 mins late!) and even though they tested with two trains, it opened with only ONE! I rode front row and honestly after all the coasters I've been on, it blew them all away. Anyway, for my second ride which I took right away the line started to form. It was at the same point that I had waited a week earlier (took 2hrs+) but they added the second train after I had gotten halfway through the queue! The line after that went REALLY fast and from the people I talked to it was running at a 45 minute wait!

Yea the ride has hype and luckily it meets it. No, I haven't ridden hundreds of coasters but compared to other airtime machines (Superman SFNE LOL) it's at the same level if not better.

I just got home and let me tell you, El Toro is now in my #1 spot. It has the most OMFG airtime ever. There was so much sustained ejector air, it was so awesome period. El Toro is officially the best coaster in the park (and I got the back seat for even better airtime )

thanks Joe - but I've only been on 96 wooden coasters to be exact, I exaggerated if I said 100 on your site. Trust me I'm not trying to boast about coaster count just want to point out that I have the proper frame of reference and love wooden coasters.

The ride is amazing but it can be better. As Derek said the stapling really weakens the air sensation, and forget about the insanely slow dispatching. With better operations and changes this coaster could move up my list.

For the record, for air alone I prefer Phoenix, Voyage, Balder, Shivering Timbers, and Cornball Express but I also like a little craziness in a wooden coasters as long as it is not painful.