TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

10 hours ago, SharkTums said:

I love all the people that are blaming Intamin for this.  Like, the ride is 16 years old, Intamin hasn't touched it in quite a while. 

And conveniently don't mention T-Express since it doesn't fit the narrative: A roller-coaster in one of the worlds busiest parks and one of only 2 coasters there in a 12 hours open, 365 day park. Throw in the structure has to endure 35C humid summers and -20C winter. Also, it isn't Six Flags, so those 2 trains are constantly dispatching as soon as they're back to the station 10:30am-8:30pm.

The rides/parks guidelines prevent it running when it's too cold so the park usually announces a months maintenance every January when the temperature won't hit the minimum for running but apart from that I can't remember ever seeing the ride down for unexpected maintenance. I know it's the newest but I wouldn't be surprised if it's total cycles is higher than the other 3 Intamin Plug N Plays so Everland must be doing something different.

• Like 1

^Ya know, if they lay RMC hybrid track but keep the layout identical, and do the necessary structural repairs, I certainly wouldn't mind that at all. Not sure how plausible that is though and if it's the same track gauge/rail size as the Intamin Pre-Fab track. I am in the "RMC it, but don't you dare touch the layout" camp!

• Like 1

toro malvado

please no rmc lol. Have Intamin come in and fix it. You can only cut maintenance so much before stuff like this starts to happen. I hate reading comments online of people blaming Intamin when it was accident free since 2006 until last year 

oof. Yeah not good. I have no doubt they will fix it and reopen it but this will not be a quick/easy fix. 

3 hours ago, jarmor said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the major selling point of the Intamin pre-fab coaster was that it needed less maintenance vs a traditional wooden coaster?  How are the other pre-fab coasters holding up?

This is a very good point, and I am curious about that as well. Six Flags already has its reputation (imo fully justified) and if it turns out others are doing well, would certainly have to point the finger at SF and their famous lack of giving any shit. But yeah deff not good. 

Heh...RMC an Intamin, tbh I'd be pretty cool with it. This is of course understandable but El Toro has become quite rough and while its layout is good, (through no fault of its own) I think its suffered from age, in that newer rides are better and do more etc Keep the ride mostly as is but smoother, more hills and esp more elements....would be a helluva ride!!! 

3 hours ago, jarmor said:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the major selling point of the Intamin pre-fab coaster was that it needed less maintenance vs a traditional wooden coaster?  How are the other pre-fab coasters holding up?

Colossos in Germany was closed for almost 3 full years (2016 to 2019) for "extensive refurb," but that''s the only issue that I could find.  It was also the first installation.

^ Hummm, so after about 17 years it went through an extensive refurb.  El Toro is upon it's 17th year and has been having structural issues.  Could it be a "thing"?  We all know traditional wooden coaster track is always getting replaced considered in the budget for maintenance and overall price of the coaster).  I wonder how well the other 2 coasters are taken care of because you don't hear much about them or it's riding condition.

Which begs the question, why was intamin only able to off load 4 of these things?  I would think less upkeep would be a selling point.

This board used to be filled with people who didn't post absolute bullshit on here as if its fact. Termites? You have google, son. Maybe just search for something. If you recall correctly? You are "pretty sure" you heard that in "several places"? You wanna cough up any kind of source to back that up? Anything?

Yes, Colossus was shut down for 3 years to have its track replaced, but there is literally nothing online about the track being infested with termites. Come the fuck on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

Colossos in Germany was closed for almost 3 full years (2016 to 2019) for "extensive refurb," but that''s the only issue that I could find.  It was also the first installation.

Balder at Liseberg have been closed this year for a full track replacement and that’s the second installation.

Any wooden coaster requires a lot of maintenance.   Boards are replaced on a regular basis.  Retracking needs to be done quite often.  Maintenance is very critical, first for safety and second for the quality of the ride.  Large woodies are no exception, especially when they have an aggressive design like El Toro.  Intamin did a fabulous job.  Those pre fab woodies are wonderful, very well designed and thrilling.  The issue here is mostly just proper maintenace not addressed.  Maintenance wise you cannot overlook anything on roller coasters.  The park knew something was not right and let it go.  2 major malfunctions in a short period of time.  Thankfully no one was badly hurt from those incidents but the fate of El Toro is in limbo.  With the state of NJ investigating and Six Flags cutting their budget accross the chain it could be enough for the coaster to be torn down or stay dormant for a while.  Hopefully it will not have the same fate as Son of Beast, although personally I don't think so in that SOB was badly designed and El Toro not.  

1 hour ago, ricklap77 said:

Any wooden coaster requires a lot of maintenance.   Boards are replaced on a regular basis.  Retracking needs to be done quite often.  Maintenance is very critical, first for safety and second for the quality of the ride.  Large woodies are no exception, especially when they have an aggressive design like El Toro.  Intamin did a fabulous job.  Those pre fab woodies are wonderful, very well designed and thrilling.  The issue here is mostly just proper maintenace not addressed.  Maintenance wise you cannot overlook anything on roller coasters.  The park knew something was not right and let it go.  2 major malfunctions in a short period of time.  Thankfully no one was badly hurt from those incidents but the fate of El Toro is in limbo.  With the state of NJ investigating and Six Flags cutting their budget accross the chain it could be enough for the coaster to be torn down or stay dormant for a while.  Hopefully it will not have the same fate as Son of Beast, although personally I don't think so in that SOB was badly designed and El Toro not.  

Are you really making the claim that the park knew the ride was structurally compromised yet ran it with riders anyway? We're really doing that? Please, PLEASE let us know how you are so sure about that. I'm not talking about what you THINK happened behind the scenes, I want to know how YOU KNOW that is what happened.

And before anyone comes at me thinking I'm rushing to Six Flags and/or Intamins defense for anything at all related to this - I'm just allergic to bullshit and the people who spew it.

• Like 4

Yeah, not sure what richland is talking about. But since seeing the second installment of the pre-fab coaster is getting a full rehab, is it safe to say these coasters have a shelf life of about 15-20 years?  I say that's pretty good as most wooden coasters continually have to have sections and track replaced ever so often.  But still. I wonder if that's a written thing or just something determined by ride cycles or what. Hopefully SFGadv follows suit and just rehab the coaster and make it anew. 

• Confused 1

The park has released a statement that they intend to reopen the ride after repairs and inspections, in time for the 2023 season.

Let's please stop with the "CEO doesnt want to spend money" / "chain is broke" / "the future of this ride is in doubt" nonsense, please and thanks.

"A careful and deliberate review of the entire ride indicates the primary and backup safety systems of the ride ensured the train completed its ride cycle safely,"Gabriel Darretta, a Six Flags Great Adventure spokesman, said Thursday. "Experts discovered a section of the ride sub-structure that requires repair. The ride will remain closed to complete the review and make necessary repairs."

"Prior to re-opening, which is expected in time for the 2023 season, the ride will be inspected again, including evaluations by the state of New Jersey and certified, independent ride safety experts," Darretta said.

"Once approved by our engineers, maintenance, and operations professionals, the ride will re-open," he said.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/brick/2023-el-toro-reopening-planned-six-flags-great-adventure

Annual passes are gone again and season passes are back. They now have more new names. These are season passes instead of annual passes/memberships--Instead of expiring 12 months from date of purchase, Gold expires on Labor Day 2023, but Platinum and Diamond expire 1//2/2024.

This is for Great Adventure. Other parks are probably different for maximum confusion.

308671573_10224191454988717_7512963943866802203_n.thumb.jpg.0698c9609d651b5e4a27cbf2e48e61b5.jpg

This brings the number of annual pass types currently outstanding to 34.

Source

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Annual passes are gone again and season passes are back. They now have more new names. These are season passes instead of annual passes/memberships--Instead of expiring 12 months from date of purchase, Gold expires on Labor Day 2023, but Platinum and Diamond expire 1//2/2024.

This is for Great Adventure. Other parks are probably different for maximum confusion.

308671573_10224191454988717_7512963943866802203_n.thumb.jpg.0698c9609d651b5e4a27cbf2e48e61b5.jpg

This brings the number of annual pass types currently outstanding to 34.

Source

Is this one of those Selim ideas or just GADv management ideas?

Meanwhile, I'm just sitting (not so) pretty with my legacy Diamond Elite membership I bought in 2018 :)

Great Adventure seems to be the first park that gets all the changes.  No idea why.  Seems like it's been this way since he took over.  First to originally kill memberships, remove dining options, offer new passes over and over, etc.