TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I understand pricing out the kids that go and ruin it for everyone else, but these are pretty insane. I can only hope that the employees and service gets better but considering the last time I was at the park the one food worker made an inappropriate comment to my fiancee and made her uncomfortable. Then just about got into a fist fight with me over staring at him after the incident I'm inclined to say that's not going to happen. Their employees act like thugs, how do they expect their patrons to act any better?

There's no way Six Flags couldn't have done a much better job with the display of the old ride parts, easily.

-SF style concrete pad?

-Rocked/mulched area?

-Landscaped/retaining wall display?

Present any of the above as a "photo spot?"

Jesus. Inner city parks look better than that.

I have never been to SFGAdv so this probably rules out any valid thinking I have (which when it comes to me, valid thinking is rare), but could this be for a FF scare zone, perhaps a Ride Graveyard of sorts?  Obviously there are no lights in the pictures above, so it's probably a poor theory, but why else would a park place old ride parts in a public area of the park without any backstory?  🤷‍♂️

And I always thought that buying tickets online was supposed to be a convenience for guests and perhaps even save a few bucks, but man, that $121 admission price looks absolutely ridiculous.  Add in $40 parking and I think my first visit to Jackson, NJ may still be quite a ways off.  

Stopped in for about 2 hours today. Doesn't sound like much time, but long enough to ride Batman, JDC twice, Nitro, Skull Mountain, El Toro twice, and grab dinner at Granny's. Obviously walk ons everywhere plus Great Adventure has better ops than Disney these days so oftentimes you could get on and off the coasters in a matter of 2-3 minutes.

Only observation I can point out is that Kingda Ka VERY sparingly ran. I think I saw maybe 2 cycles with people on it the whole time I was in the park, a handful of empty test runs, and otherwise nothing happening at all. Didn't bother going over there to ride it as I didn't have time to wait through breakdowns. Otherwise everything seemed to be running well that I observed. 

I think the most interesting thing to me was getting to JDC right around 4:00 and they were occasionally sending entire trains empty because the place was so dead. I walked right up into a waiting front seat my first ride then stuck around in the station and hopped in back. There were more people in the park on January 2nd than there were today. Couldn't believe how dead it was. 

Also saw on Facebook that I was at the park 11 years ago today. Earthquake day. Was anyone else there that day? Bizarre for sure.

7 hours ago, Zand said:

Only observation I can point out is that Kingda Ka VERY sparingly ran. I think I saw maybe 2 cycles with people on it the whole time I was in the park, a handful of empty test runs, and otherwise nothing happening at all. Didn't bother going over there to ride it as I didn't have time to wait through breakdowns. Otherwise everything seemed to be running well that I observed. 

I’ve read on the Great Adventure Facebook group that there’s a problem with one of the compressors for the launch. I rode it Saturday and it had about a 45 minute wait. They seems to launch 2 trains, then wait 4-5 minutes to send 2 more, very similar to how it would run when it had to wait for Zumanjaro to cycle.

59 minutes ago, terdferg said:

::shock::

Hope none of the injuries are bad.

And what of the future of El Toro? Maybe it's time to Titan Track the bull?

Won't stop me from taking a trip next Tuesday, at least with dead crowds I won't need to buy a Flash Pass :)

I swear I'm a giant jinx for this park when I go outside of HITP. I was there in 2019 the day after Wonder Woman tried removing itself from the ground. I was there the day last year when the Log Flume crashed. Then a couple days before El Toro derailed and now it happened again.

I don't understand how this keeps happening to El Toro. Hope this doesn't force some major changes to the ride experience.

There seems to be track inspections taking place at the bottom of the rolling thunder hill.

https://6abc.com/six-flags-great-adventure-jackson-township-nj-el-toro-roller-coaster-new-jersey/12166526/

This doesn't sound like another derailment, this sounds like a pothole that caused back injuries/people biting their tongues/lips etc.

No bueno, nonetheless.

1 minute ago, boldikus said:

This doesn't sound like another derailment, this sounds like a pothole that caused back injuries/people biting their tongues/lips etc.

No bueno, nonetheless.

I did notice that it was a bit of a rough landing coming off that hill (both my rides Tuesday were in the back row) but nothing this extreme. 

If there was some warping in that part of the ride then I don't know how they missed it if they had to carefully inspect the whole coaster for damage after the derailment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boldikus said:

There seems to be track inspections taking place at the bottom of the rolling thunder hill.

https://6abc.com/six-flags-great-adventure-jackson-township-nj-el-toro-roller-coaster-new-jersey/12166526/

No bueno, nonetheless.

I wonder if this will force great adventure to get replacement track through intamin instead of building it in house

There are conflicting reports that the train jerked forward as riders were exiting, but no first hand accounts of that. This was posted in the Great Adv Conn group on FB:

image.png.c883c241c9122970c811b67977889d08.png

15 minutes ago, Zand said:

I swear I'm a giant jinx for this park when I go outside of HITP. I was there in 2019 the day after Wonder Woman tried removing itself from the ground. I was there the day last year when the Log Flume crashed. Then a couple days before El Toro derailed and now it happened again.

I don't understand how this keeps happening to El Toro. Hope this doesn't force some major changes to the ride experience.

Seems six flags doesn’t want to pay to properly maintain an intamin. They build their own replacement track segments to save cost (according to el toro Ryan’s video on it)

That sucks for those injured.

Guess it's time to replace the cable lift with something else.  That'll work to fix TTD, right?

That second line is total sarcasm, obviously.

Pretty bad for El Toro. 2 structural incidents in a short period of time.  El Toro is an awesome and forceful  wooden coaster, one of the best if not the best in the world IMO.  If SF doesn't take good care of it I don't see a long future for it at the park.

As someone who thinks El Toro is still super smooth for a woodie, I have to admit the bottom of the rolling Thunder hill has gotten absolutely brutal. My last ride was in the very back row last Saturday and you could hear the train almost bottom out at the bottom of that hill.