TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

On 1/6/2022 at 10:19 PM, rachelmadcow said:

im glad i rode it when it was new because i knew if it anything broke it would stay broke lol. 

That hasn't been the case exactly. Most everything gets fixed, but flip a coin each day on if it broke again... lol

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I’m confused as to how this is news, honestly.

They’ve been doing tons of visible track work ever since the ride closed so we knew that the ride was reopening.

When Six Flags says that something is “expected to open in the Spring” we all know that means little-to-nothing, especially since with the wording of that they’re gearing up to make it the state’s fault if it doesn’t. Plus “Spring” could mean late June. Lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can only assume a press release has gone out as I can't find this on the website but according to Matt who is a very reputable source and admin over at the Great Adventure Connoisseurs group, the park has announced a number of new updates/improvements to the park for 2022, most notably the return of Medusa, a new paint job for Batman, a new entrance marquee on 537, more kiddie rides in the area by JDC, single riders lines being added to Nitro, Toro, Medusa and JDC, a new Fatburger, and much more...

The Return of Medusa, and MORE for 2022!

Great Adventure has finally announced the wide array of improvements coming to the park this year!

MEDUSA is back with a new color palette, logo, and Gold Rush-era backstory!

Jr. Thrillseekers (formerly Safari Kids) is completing its 2-year renovation complete with 8 rides including Lil’ Devil Coaster–and Barnstormer, returning for 2022.

Single rider lines are being added to Jersey Devil Coaster, El Toro, Nitro, and Medusa!

The FLASH Pass is moving from the Q-Bot system to the new Q SMART mobile technology system that works directly from your smartphone.

The Six Flags mobile app now allows you to add your pass to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay Wallet for faster access into the park.

“Wow moments” – More emphasis will be placed on creating “Wow” moments through fun and memorable guest interactions, beautiful landscaping views, additional seating for relaxation, and a massive, new marquee on Rt. 537

Yum Yum Cafe and Granny’s will both reopen following makeovers with new floors, décor, menu boards, and traffic flow.

A Fatburger® location is coming to Adventure Alley, serving burgers, milkshakes, onion rings, and more.

New Dining Options – The park will expand its culinary options with freshly roasted rotisserie chicken added to the menu at Granny’s, freshly-brewed coffee creations at Sweet Treats, proudly serving Starbucks® and many additional high quality offerings

Family Restrooms – To better accommodate the needs of all guests, the theme park will introduce two new family restrooms to the Adventure Alley section.

Volta Electric Vehicle Charging Stations – Compatible with all electric vehicles, units will be available in the theme park, water park and safari parking lots

New Pavilions – The park’s high-tech, touchless security screening entry area and the popular Johnny Rocket’s outdoor dining patio will sport new wooden pavilion shade coverings.

Summer Vibes Festival – As sun-kissed dreams come to life, guests will drench themselves in a kaleidoscope of color at this new, summer festival, which will run July 16 to August 14. Mouth-watering treats, beat-the-heat beverages, bold, eye-popping spectacles, live entertainment, and colorful curiosities will immerse guests in the reverie of summer.

New Animal Adventures – The Wild Safari’s animal care team welcomes three new giraffe calves, a new male rhinoceros, and an array of spring babies. The Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure will feature an entirely new audio tour guests can stream from any mobile device and an expanded, three-lane roadway with five newly paved miles. The Drive-Thru opens March 19th!

New ‘Giraffe Encounter’ Safari VIP Tour – Great Adventure theme park will launch a new safari VIP experience, the Giraffe Encounter Tour. This off-road adventure on military-style, open-air trucks will feature an informative and engaging tour guide through seven sections of the Wild Safari and the opportunity to hand-feed giraffes at Wild Safari’s Camp Aventura. Tour guests can also meet small exotic animals up-close. Tour tickets may be purchased in advance or at the park.

BATMAN™ The Ride will sport a bold, shiny new coat of paint!

Hiring

Six Flags is hiring! Applicants age 14 and older can text FUN to 732-307-6688 or complete an application at www.sixflagsjobs.com. More than ten diverse departments offer exciting opportunities with flexible hours and great perks, and many jobs start at $15 per hour.

New Season Pass Program

Six Flags has announced its brand new 3-tiered Season Pass program:
Thrillseeker Pass is perfect for frequent home park visitation
Extreme Pass is ideal for live-on-the-edge thrills all year, without blockout dates
Ultimate Pass provides the best value for everything offered
Extreme and Ultimate Passes also each come with two Junior Passes for guests under 42"!

More info: https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/store/tickets

Reminder: Great Adventure opens April 2nd!

GA20221.thumb.jpg.52506382e26f6b855cc6228b49853c50.jpg

GA20222.thumb.jpg.d6fc8f0a8934a4e1707085220f9e15f0.jpg

GA20223.thumb.jpg.0f019d078af00d8286f2bfb7d84f2780.jpg

GA20224.jpg.301957fcb2a4b2b64306e86f49acd7d9.jpg

My thoughts on the Medusa reversion:

• the ride needed to be painted badly. Yes lots of coasters at GAdv could use some fresh paint but the Bizarro paint has started to chip off considerably the last 2-3 seasons and that old bright green/yellow OG Medusa paint peaking out made it much more noticeable than the other rides in need of paint. Because of this, any new paint would be welcome on this ride, imo, regardless of the theme because it was starting to look really bad.
  • Yes the Medusa/gold rush theming didn't make sense the first time around and it certainly doesn't make sense now but neither did having a DC comics themed coaster back there and look on the bright side - one less superhero (or in this case villain) themed ride in the park.
  • This will finally shut up the incessant "the park is going to remove Bizarro and send it to SFA/Darien Lake/La Ronde" nutjobs
  • RIP best entrance portal in the park. But curious to see what they do here.

^ Granted the numbers of viewers isn't big enough for Six Flags to care or even have an impact, but it seems kind of ironic that the Bizarro ride existed when the character never really made the jump out of the comic books so wasn't that well known and now the ride goes back to Medusa in the same year Bizarro becomes a main part of the Superman TV show.

What I appreciate is the park highlighting each of the little additions / improvements they're planning on implementing. Oftentimes in the past, these would be just done in the background with very little attention or promotion, leading to them getting overlooked by most people. 

7 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I'm excited to see more single rider lines.  I wonder where they'll be routed.

🤣 Other than up the exit ramps?

Sounds like Flash Pass will be mobile-phone only, which is kinda disappointing.  Not everyone has unlimited data plans (the park's WiFi is spotty at best) nor the desire to run their battery down during the day (or carry a charger).  Option are always good.

• Like 1

Any guesses what happens on El Toro with phones, lockers, and the flash pass?

If hitting a couple web pages on your phone pushes someone over a data limit and results in charges perhaps they shouldn't be getting the flash pass.  I do agree options are probably needed but that excuse is weak. ;) Others are valid, especially on crowded days with shit coverage no matter what. 

I'm very curious about these single rider lines and honestly, I'm pretty sure I hate this idea.

Don't get me wrong, I like single rider lines at Disney and Universal and other competent parks, but by a show of hands... how many people think that they're going to add brand new staircases up to El Toro, Nitro, and Medusa?

Right... so either they're going to run them up through the exit which would be a clusterfuck and would make everything slower or they're going to (I guess) run them through Flash Pass which will also be a clusterfuck.

I feel like all this means is assigned seating, more bad grouping leading to tons of empty rows like during Covid and likely no improvement in capacity. The only good news here is that these lines will operate for approximately 6 minutes per year.

Tl:dr: I love it in theory but don't trust them to do it right. El Toro MAYBE can run it to connect with the ADA ramp, I doubt that the other rides will even make that much of an effort. Even then, they're going to end up assigning seats on that ride.

• Like 1

^ SFOG single rider lines (Goliath & Twisted Cyclone) are *in* the station.

So single riders wait with everyone else in the General queue. . then once int he station, there's a dedicated line (front of train for both) for single riders. (so the front operator can pull folks to fill any open seats)

I honestly think this is really "fair" and I love it. .and use them whenever open - as it does cut down on empty seats on the train, and gets me on a few trains sooner than waiting in any row queue.

so maybe they'll do it that way?

21 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Sounds like Flash Pass will be mobile-phone only, which is kinda disappointing.  Not everyone has unlimited data plans (the park's WiFi is spotty at best) nor the desire to run their battery down during the day (or carry a charger).  Option are always good.

I feel the same way with certain parks that are ditching their physical maps and guides.  Especially when traveling or doing an all day visit, phone battery management is a big consideration.  Having to be on my phone all day long for basic info/tasks is frustrating.  Means I have to carry a battery pack with me, which means I have to also bring a bag because my pockets cant fit every item anymore.

I used the mobile flash pass at Magic Mountain in January of this year and LOVED it! It works by opening in a webpage, because it's a webpage that you can close at any time it doesn't do any background running on your phone and doesn't drain your battery fast. I didn't use any noticeable amount of battery than any other day in a park. There's also no waiting in line to get a flash pass, plus no returning at the end of the day. In my use, it was 100% better than the regular flashpass with no downsides.

• Like 1