TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Those things have been gone for years, but they did replace the seats.

Right...forgot Great Adventure doesn't half ass everything like SFNE. More like 2/3rds ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yet another "Riddler Revenge" without the necessary possessive inbound.

4 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ it would make ZERO sense with the coaster. . but Orange & Green are Aquaman colors.

The re-theme into Bizzaro made no sense either.

Man do I miss the days when Six Flags didn't try to be "DC Comics the Amusement Park."

The ride never made sense. It was originally themed to the old west but also Greek Mythology and had the very “western” color scheme of a Mountain Dew ad.

Everyone needs to just give up on waiting for anything ever in the entire history of this ride with a sideways horse on the station to make sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Exactly. Who gives a shit what the theme or color is. The ride is great and its not going anywhere and its getting a paint job which will extend its life even further and everyone should be happy about that.

12 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

The ride never made sense. It was originally themed to the old west but also Greek Mythology and had the very “western” color scheme of a Mountain Dew ad.

*shrug* It made more sense than a comic book character in the Old West section.

From the original press release announcing the ride:

Once a beautiful woman, Medusa was punished by the goddess Athena for her indiscretions and turned into a hideous monster.  She had hair of snakes and the power to turn men to stone with her electric eyes, and was hunted and conquered by the brave Perseus.  This made her one of the most famous beasts of Greek mythology.  During the Gold Rush era, legend has it that she was banished to a deep, solitary gold mine.  Although no miner was brave enough to seek her, they believed in her presence and named this wicked place "Medusa's Mine."

This is where riders will begin -- in the Old West, known as the Frontier Adventures section of the theme park.  Unlike the cowardly gold miners, brave park Guests will seek fame and triumph like Perseus before them.  The twisted mass of green steel is the demon they must conquer.

14 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Once a beautiful woman, Medusa was punished by the goddess Athena for her indiscretions and turned into a hideous monster.  She had hair of snakes and the power to turn men to stone with her electric eyes, and was hunted and conquered by the brave Perseus.  This made her one of the most famous beasts of Greek mythology.  During the Gold Rush era, legend has it that she was banished to a deep, solitary gold mine.  Although no miner was brave enough to seek her, they believed in her presence and named this wicked place "Medusa's Mine." This is where riders will begin -- in the Old West, known as the Frontier Adventures section of the theme park.  Unlike the cowardly gold miners, brave park Guests will seek fame and triumph like Perseus before them.  The twisted mass of green steel is the demon they must conquer.

This sounds like it was thought up by a crackhead

• Haha 1

I wish Nitro was getting the paint instead of Bizarro, but if they want to perform the work now it makes sense since Nitro will be running for Holiday in the Park.  Having the DC Comics themed ride behind the western themed area is puzzling, but I do enjoy the ride and it rarely has a line.

For a park with so many "don't smoke marijuana" signs, they sure do seem to like green.

But in all reality this coaster looked terrible this year so I'm glad it's getting repainted and I don't really care about DC comics or the fact that it's far away from the other DC comic themed stuff. If I had to choose I'd rather it be called Medusa again because it makes me feel old when I mention Medusa East and Medusa West and these damn kids don't know what that means.

Can they just call it The Riddler and avoid any awkward lack of possessive noun grammar and leave the possessing to Dorney?

On 11/5/2021 at 3:58 AM, bert425 said:

^ it would make ZERO sense with the coaster. . but Orange & Green are Aquaman colors.

I mean both Riddler/Aquaman are coming up in movies. I wouldn't put it past Six Flags to name it Riddler for 2022 for a quick promotional boost when The Batman comes out and then just change a few signs in December 2022 to Aquaman and have another tie-in boost. 

• Like 1

El Toro update:

There are new black steel ledgers on the first drop, first two camelback hills, and the rolling thunder hill. Work has been progressing non-stop since the ride closed.

254753717_632505767778248_1528662584632598550_n.thumb.jpg.6012519841b4f59b8dbaf96d4e7e77c1.jpg

254152881_632505774444914_2687365285254282614_n.thumb.jpg.59aff835e1a69d1a45a88c3e05d60f80.jpg

254669727_632505844444907_7215582550837934769_n.thumb.jpg.a0b8b50adce19d0b55a7fb74472782bc.jpg

254090417_632505851111573_7287039028810045211_n.thumb.jpg.2981958c6ac6e7579680a979afce6052.jpg

Photo credit (best I can tell): Joel Noufe from the CJ's Crazy Coaster Crew Facebook group.

• Like 5

Sure looks like they are RMCing it to me...

Hope they get it back open soon! Looks like they are making good progress.

Been out of the loop for a while on this one, did they ever actually figure out officially what happened?

It looks like Jersey Devil will be the first ride in park history with any kind of temperature limit.

... either that or they'll just throw this up outside the ride whenever it breaks so people don't question it since it spends like 50% of it's life broken.

253814088_10158365265918015_3632906185479940464_n.thumb.jpg.cdaabca498cf2005d0d76f0deea5d039.jpg

Source: Arielle in the ironically named, Great Adventure "Connoisseurs" Facebook group.

• Haha 1

So we went to the park yesterday. Apparently they have some kind of sliding scale weather limit for it and I’d consider it a bonus any day it actually opens for this event. 

Last night it was 42 degrees and closed for wind, but Skyway was operating. The colder it is, the lower the wind limit and it gets down to the point where any kind of breeze at all, they won’t start it.

Just go in expecting it to be closed and be pleasantly surprised when it opens. 

On 11/7 they ran JDC to close, probably just below 40 degrees, but it had been running all day. Saw one interruption for about 10-15 minutes messing with a sensor connection. I got 8 rides, but still have to ride anywhere near the back, as I overdid waiting out the crowd, and trains were going out mostly empty. My front row solo ride in those temps seemed maybe the fastest, even though it wasn't it still performs OK.

This coaster is an interesting comparison to their B&M loopers. Except for JDC having a mix of airtime in with the inversions, they do comparable things. Bizarro (my hero now) is a little longer and Batman is both shorter and not as tall, but I hesitate in calling it "smaller" as it has that big train feel; also Batman is actually the crazier ride of the 3. Jersey Devil is in a sense redundant, and yet very different due to the single rail format. 

I found the restraints comfortable enough -- far better than some -- but could see if there was much stronger ejector air they wouldn't be. The stall is the best I've ridden yet (of not many), it starts off close to a float but hangs you more as it goes. I'd like to try a floatier one, maybe when running faster this does that.  The train cars are really cute, being as small as Lil' Devil's but much more serious at the same time.

Speaking of Lil' Devil, got the credit, but the worst of these little Zamperla's I've ridden. Great Chase is also oddly profiled, but in a more fun way, and Cocoa is rather nice, as long as you sit on the outside.

Just now, bengalsguy601 said:

Does anyone know if Six flags does a black Friday deal on memberships? I'm only planning on making the trio a few times next year so will probably wait for the best price if there is one.

Not sure how much better of a price than a $70 Basic Season Pass/$80 Gold Plus Season Pass (if you need all parks) you think you're going to get, but I think I bought mine last year for $60 in mid-December.  I can't remember if that sale started on Black Friday or not.

2 hours ago, bengalsguy601 said:

Does anyone know if Six flags does a black Friday deal on memberships? I'm only planning on making the trio a few times next year so will probably wait for the best price if there is one.

Typically they do not.

They may call it a holiday sale but it will be the same price you saw the day before.