TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, SharkTums said:

^Do yourself a favor and stay far away from the others! Those trains are even more like SAW death traps!!!

Haha I had plans to go to Texas and California next year which is why I asked.  They will be ‘first time last time’ rides most likely which is unfortunate because I see this stupid cheap single rail model popping up everywhere in the near future and I am thinking I won’t be able to enjoy them at all (Jersey devil was this way for me) 

For what its worth, I have ridden JDC exactly once and was with two friends who both complained about the seats/restraints being awkward/uncomfortable, while I had no issues whatsoever. Its worth noting am the largest of the three, both in height/weight so I'm not sure if that factors into the issue at all. 

We went to Great Adventure last month while Jersey Devil was down, but we still tried out the test seat as we went back and looked at the ride. I have absolutely no doubt that it would have been one of the most uncomfortable rides I've been on as it was tough to just sit in the test seat. I've had bad hips since I was in high school playing football, and the way that your legs have to be apart while riding looked like it would have made me miserable while riding. Just trying to board in a semi-quick fashion would have been a chore, I think.

Rode JD about 5 times and only the second time was it terrible.  Felt like i get stabbed in the left thigh and knife was twisting the entire ride.  Couldnt wait for it to end.  Dont know what it was about that time but every other time was great.  Maybe something about the feet placement.  I'm also a bigger guy but it only happened the one time.

With this single-rail RMC talk (positive and negative), it makes me even MORE curious about Intamin's upcoming single-rail coaster "Big Dipper" coming soon to Luna Park in Australia.  I wonder how Intamin's version will compare?  It looks like you might still have a similar "straddle position" like a single rail RMC?   However, it also looks like (if the animation is accurate) it might just have lap restraints with nothing else over the shoulders?  If so, then that's a welcome improvement! 

I honestly think the raptor trains could be way better, too. I'm 5'10 and slim build, so I think it depends on your torso/leg length. I also had to kind of angle my knees oddly outward to get the restraint to go down to my lap. I don't like either version but I guess I'd prefer the JDC ones over the Wonder Woman ones. I had these weird random bruises from the restraints the day after.

I think restraints/trains are RMC's weakest point just in general. I wish they'd just buy from Gerstlauer because the TX Giant/Iron Rattler ones are the best/most comfortable trains of them all.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, AngusW said:

As for El Toro, it’s actually still in park’s hands as they have not finished retracking yet and have not even asked state to reopen as this needs to be done first. Getting dangerously close to the point where the maintenance team (who want to push reopening till 2022) will not be able to finish before FF is done. 

I feel like I'm screaming into the void asking about El Toro in this topic and I feel like I shouldn't be so committed since I live like 1,000 miles away...but so like are they re-tracking the entire coaster? If they are I honestly love that because I remember riding it in 2006/2007 and it was seriously as smooth as any Intamin steel coaster. And if they need until the beginning of next season to do that and get it done right I'm all for that too.

I got two rides on Jersey Devil and found the seat so uncomfortable and cheap feeling that I thought I didn't like the coaster. Thankfully I loved my second ride, but those trains are bad. Well, the seats anyway. The trains are beautiful to look at at least.

• Like 1

While I've never been on a Raptor, I have been on a handful of RMC coasters and I feel like I keep hearing complaints about the trains and restraints across the board.  Hopefully this will incentivize them to either redesign or outsource their trains because wow you people are vocal about it.

Personally I've never felt uncomfortable in an RMC train (again, haven't tried a Raptor yet) and I'm 6'3" 230lbs.  They're not what I would call comfy but they're solidly mediocre trains and restraints that get the job done.

The very first time I rode Jersey Devil earlier this year (also the first time I rode a Raptor), as soon as I sat down, my left thigh immediately got a charlie horse, which was pretty painful, and didn't let off the whole ride through the station, until after putting pressure on my foot for a while, it ebbed away just before we climbed the lift hill. The subsequent two times we rode at the end of the day, I didn't experience this. So, I don't know if it was because it was first thing in the day, and my legs weren't stretched out yet, or what. But that was my experience.

So two things...

1. At least two of you have now mentioned having pain/cramping on just one leg, not both. I dunno, I don't see how that could be an issue with the restraint, sounds like a personal problem.

2. Do y'all ever stretch before a park day? If you don't, some advice: you should. Like as if you were going to work out. I'd legit always done this early in the morning before walking a shi*ton and getting thrown the eff around on a bunch of crazy rides.

My knees are in rough shape at this point and crack every time I stand up, but RailBlazer didn't bother me one bit after several re-rides. I know it's not JDC, but it's similar enough where I have to believe it's a personal / body type issue, rather than the seats themselves. 

• Like 1

I rode Railblazer 16 times in one day and the only pain I had was the bruises on my shoulders. I recall it being a little awkward at first but no pain or discomfort in my legs. I'm an average size adult male though, 5'9" 180 lbs.

I also don't mind other RMC seats/restraints though. Steel Vengeance will start hurting my shins after 10 rides or so, but that's it.

Wonder Woman is a bit too wide of a straddle for my likening, and SteVe destroyed my thighs on the second ride back to back. I would rather have a vest on SteVe than try to hold myself down if riding more than once a day. I was kinda stapled too but there was still maybe 2.5" between the bar and my legs/pelvis. The bunnies on the second lap did me in.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Jason Maier said:

So I've seen that on some of the Fright Fest nights, they're open until Midnight :)

What's been the latest at night you've ever ridden on a coaster?

Sometime around 12:30 AM, Beast at Kings Island during Haunt in 2019.

1 minute ago, Jason Maier said:

Damn, I've always read that a night ride on Beast is a must for coaster enthusiasts!

It is.  But you don't need to wait until midnight, 10-ish after the fireworks show even in summer suffices.  Highly anticipating the amount of night rides I'll get on it when I go out there for Haunt this October.

But this the SFGAdv thread, y'know?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, what's the park like early december? I've only ever been in late april and early may where i've yet to experience any crowds at all. i know el toro is down for the season (is it getting a full retrack in the end?), but i love kingda ka and zumanjaro, and would love to ride jersey devil. will they be open even if it's a bit cold? how are weekend crowds typically?

The eastern side of the park is not open after early November, so that means no Ka, Zum, Mine Train/flume, Bizarro. The boardwalk coasters are open and everything west of there is. The park is advertising Jersey Devil will be open for Holiday In the Park. Crowds can be moderately busy that time of year but a huge chunk of people that go to HITP don't go for the big coasters so you can *usually* expect short waits. That said, I've gone on freak 75 degree days and had a 30 minute wait for Nitro.

I always assumed it would be open for HITP, they could have easily squeezed it between Ka and Toro and not had to remove any kiddie rides or very many trees, but just like everything else they've installed since 2016, they made the effort to put it in an area where they could have it open through January.