TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Word is a guest was trying to climb onto the roof of the Zumanjaro station to retrieve a lost loose article (I don't know how its possible that no one noticed her) and she fell off, injuring herself.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

2 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Word is a guest was trying to climb onto the roof of the Zumanjaro station to retrieve a lost loose article (I don't know how its possible that no one noticed her) and she fell off, injuring herself.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

Here's an article on the incident:

A women was injured Sunday at Six Flags Great Adventure after entering a restricted area of the theme park and slipping on a rooftop, a spokesperson for Six Flags said.

The incident happened around 7 p.m. in a fenced off area between the Kingda Ka roller coaster and the Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom ride, both of which were temporarily shut down while the issue was addressed.

"While climbing onto the roof of a building in the restricted area, the guest slipped and injured her leg," spokesperson Kristin Fitzgerald said. "The guest was transported to a local hospital."

It was not clear on Monday whether the woman, who was not identified, will face charges for climbing the fence and trespassing in the restricted area. It's also unknown what the women was attempting to do by entering the area between the rides.

Six Flags has had a string of incidents with rides this summer. Two people were hospitalized in June after the park's log flume ride malfunctioned and the El Toro roller coaster was shut down following a partial derailment in July, though no injuries were suffered.

Six Flags also temporarily shut down The Joker and Nitro rides in July after one guest reported a head injury and a second guest expressed concern that a lap bar was not functioning properly.

The theme park has been working with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs to ensure that all of its rides meet safety standards and all problems are addressed before rides are reopened.

Fitzgerald said the area the woman entered on Sunday night was "clearly marked restricted," but didn't offer more details. 

"We are proud of our public safety team, who risked their own safety to serve our guest," Fitzgerald said. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coasterbill said:

It's helped, but the ride is also going to use one load platform perpetually forever so it's not like it's ever going to be a capacity monster no matter what.

I'll never understand why they bothered with the 4-train station in the first place.  They used it frequently right when it first opened but even before the first season was finished they were down to two trains at once, IIRC.  Six Flags really knows how to show off then fall on their face.

Edit - And don't get me started on how they split the line well before the station.  Rather than one line going to four trains (loading from the center like a smart company would do), one line became two lines for two trains each, which then became one line to two lines for one train each, which is now one line for one train.  Pathetic.

It probably had to do with the change in management right after the '05 season. Remember, El Toro was almost cancelled by the new management team. Only reason why we have it was because they were already too far along in the process to reverse course.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:14 PM, coasterbill said:

It's helped, but the ride is also going to use one load platform perpetually forever so it's not like it's ever going to be a capacity monster no matter what.

I can confirmed that the park has studied the issue of bringing back both platforms and almost attempted to do so multiple times this past season. It’s my understanding that two issues primarily prevented them from doing so: 1. Staffing (why have higher thru put for one ride when you can open 2) & State approval of dual operations with Zumanjaro, which park management felt was “good enough” (for now) for improving thru put. I think they originally started looking at bringing back both stations a couple seasons ago when it looked like the approval wasn’t going to happen, but getting that approval (which was actually received right before pandemic) threw cold water on the project and staffing in 2021 killed it for now.

As for El Toro, it’s actually still in park’s hands as they have not finished retracking yet and have not even asked state to reopen as this needs to be done first. Getting dangerously close to the point where the maintenance team (who want to push reopening till 2022) will not be able to finish before FF is done. 

19 hours ago, michaellynn4 said:

It probably had to do with the change in management right after the '05 season. Remember, El Toro was almost cancelled by the new management team. Only reason why we have it was because they were already too far along in the process to reverse course.

I never knew about that.  Thanks!

Fun fact: The highest ridership the park ever achieved with Ka was during the the 2013 season with only one station and three trains.

El Toro Ryan (who worked the ride) talks about it extensively in his excellent Problematic Coaster video about Ka. 

I recommend checking out the entire video (and all his other vids) but skip to around 17:40 for the goods about the station/capacity.

• Like 3

Yeah I don't think the second station added as much as they hoped. 

Also, on ElToroRyan, his channel is the most jarring in terms of disconnected theme park content of any that I follow. One video will be his friends making a ton of low brow jokes as they wander a park drunk, the next will be this highly technical breakdown of a rollercoaster from his ride op experience and engineering background. It is a weird channel. 

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, michaellynn4 said:

15 years later and I'm still annoyed when I think of all the things done to the park by RedZone. They had rides SBNO like Houdini, Tango and kids rides and then over the 2006 - 2007 offseason the removal of Movietown Water Effect, Freefall, the 2nd log flume and I think another ride or two.  Removing the safari included with admission for day tickets and seriously considering a no re-entry policy (it was on their website) but they got so many complaints they decided against it. I was so happy to see them gone.

Did anyone go to the park sponsored event last Saturday 9/4? It used to be "Riding of the Bull" the Saturday after Labor Day sponsored by a local coaster group. Without El Toro out, it had to change. I normally go to this event, but Labor Day weekend, really?? It didn't seem very organized, and not worth my cross country trip. Just curious. ...

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

Did anyone go to the park sponsored event last Saturday 9/4? It used to be "Riding of the Bull" the Saturday after Labor Day sponsored by a local coaster group. Without El Toro out, it had to change. I normally go to this event, but Labor Day weekend, really?? It didn't seem very organized, and not worth my cross country trip. Just curious. ...

I personally wasn’t able to go but have seen several people comment on Facebook that the Thrill-A-Thon event went well and that it was a lot of fun. This was the first time that the park ran the event and I’m sure they will continue to improve it moving forward.  I’m glad the park is expanding the event to include more groups similar to Coastermania and other park operated events. 

• Like 1

anyone else in pain on Jersey devil? 

I’m tall, I’m fatter, but fit on every other coaster model just fine. Rode Jersey devil yesterday for the first time, and the way you have to sit, chicken legged or whatever with your feet 4 feet apart and your knees bending in put so much pressure on the joint / ligaments below my knees it was the worst pain ever and swear something was going to snap in my leg

I tried sitting various ways and thought I figured it out until the ops make you put feet flat on the black section of the car and not the red angled part of the car that goes over the track 

So my question is: anyone else with this knee pain?  Will losing weight did this (always working on it), or is this due to just being taller at 6’3? Or do I just have weak knee/leg ligaments and joints?

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/09/woman-injured-on-tube-slide-at-six-flags-hurricane-harbor-water-park.html

Woman injured on tube slide at Six Flags’ Hurricane Harbor water park

A patron of the Hurricane Harbor water park that’s part of the Six Flags Great Adventure complex in Jackson was injured on a water slide Monday afternoon thanks to another rider’s mischief, a park spokesperson said.

The patron, described only as “an adult guest,” complained of pain following a ride on one of the park’s tube slides, when “the guest’s tube overturned as a result of another guest jumping out of the tube, which is a violation of the park’s safety policies,” Kristin Fitzgerald, a spokesperson for the park, said in an email.

Fitzgerald said the injured patron was taken to a local hospital by the park’s own ambulance service, though police assigned to the park responded to the incident.

Capt. Steve Laskiewicz, a Jackson Police spokesman, said the department was not involved. Fitzgerald declined to offer additional details of the patron’s injury or condition, citing confidentiality rules under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA. “The safety of our guests and team members is our top priority,” Fitzgerald said in the email. The Asbury Park Press reported that the woman had been on the 75-foot-high Tornado slide. The Tornado sends patrons down a long tunnel at about 25 miles an hour, before they enter into a broad funnel.

The Great Adventure theme park adjacent to Hurricane Harbor has been beset by more than a dozen incidents this summer, some of them involving in injuries, while a partial derailment of a car on El Toro shut down the steep wooden roller coaster on June 29.

I haven't been on Jersey Devil, but rode Wonder Woman Golden Lasso a bunch of times in one day at SFFT.  At 6' 2"  225 lbs, I didn't have any knee pain even though my knees aren't in the best shape due to excessive wear and tear when I was younger.  However, I'm pretty sure I remember reading at least one review of WWGL where the person found the straddle position was very uncomfortable.  My only issue was sore and bruised shoulders from the shoulder straps.  The forces on WWGL are surprisingly strong, and I started feeling the soreness after about six rides during the first half of the day.  Another six rides throughout the rest of the day and I was left with visible shoulder strap bruises that lasted for 2-3 days.  Perhaps shorter people don't have that problem?