TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Unfortunate news with El Toro, esp that I finally am not just back in NJ but working. Really pains me to go here without Toro but I assume it'll be down for a while, understandably so, prob gunna just bite the bullet and go sometime. What can ya do? 

Also are there really attempts to say it didn't derail? Yo, the wheels went off the track, it derailed lol I get why Six Flags will try to say not but c'mon man. Not good, just glad no one was hurt. 

The park hasn't released any info about Toro, so anything you hear is just hearsay. I've heard back-up-in-a-month to not-til-next-season. Either way, it most definitely will not be open Friday.

JDC possibly, but I'd temper your expectations and assume it will be closed, that way if it is operating it will be a pleasant surprise.

I was planning to visit the park Thursday while visiting my relatives in New Jersey, and with the Jersey Devil downtime news, pushed my visit back as far as I could, until Monday. So here's hoping, and fingers crossed, that'll it'll be up and running by then! 🙏🤞 Regardless, none of my kids have ever been to the park, so there will still be plenty for them to do there that'll be brand new!

There is a new(er) statement from the park going around, not sure if its cool to share the direct source but w/ some quick sleuthing you should easily find it. No other news that we haven't heard yet is mentioned in the article, and its possible she said this just so people stop asking, but its slightly encouraging?

Kristen Fitzgerald, a spokesperson for Six Flags Great Adventure responded on July 13 to our inquiry regarding when we are likely to see El Toro reopened saying, "The safety of our guests and team members is always our highest priority. The ride is currently closed for a thorough inspection and any necessary modifications. El Toro is one of our signature attractions, and we are working diligently toward reopening the ride this season following testing and a full safety inspection by both internal and external experts."

Anyone who thought that this park wasn't at-least attempting to reopen the ride ASAP this season doesn't know them very well. I feel like every time a ride has a major breakdown at Great Adventure it reopens faster than anyone expects it to.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/07/2-rides-temporarily-shut-down-in-latest-six-flags-incidents.html

After two incidents raised red flags at Six Flags Great Adventure last month, a pair of roller coasters at the popular thrill park were temporarily shut down this week following separate complaints that a young boy was injured Wednesday on The Joker and a safety bar had come unfastened Sunday on Nitro.

Great Adventure confirmed that The Joker had been shut down temporarily on Wednesday following a report that a young boy had suffered a head injury and was taken by the park’s in-house ambulance service to be checked out at a local hospital.

Six Flags said its own personnel and inspectors from the state Department of Community Affairs had done, “full inspections of the ride and found it to be in proper working order,” and that The Joker reopened on Thursday.

“We are unable to speculate as to the cause of the reported injury,” the statement read.

Denise Zeiger, a 53-year-old Six Flags season pass holder, was at the park with her daughter and 7-year-old grandson on Wednesday, when she said she saw the boy, whose head was bandaged, being taken from The Joker and placed into a nearby ambulance.

“This poor mother was distraught,” said Zeiger, who lives in Bristol, Pennsylvania. “My heart broke for her, and I just said, ‘I hope everything’s OK.’ And she just said, ‘I don’t even know yet.’”

The park also confirmed that it temporarily suspended operation of its Nitro roller coaster on Sunday, after a complaint that a restraining bar had unfastened. But as in The Joker’s case, Six Flags said the ride was found to be operating properly.

“On Sunday, the ride was closed following a guest concern about a lap bar on one train,” the park stated. “All three coaster trains were thoroughly inspected by our maintenance team and found to be in proper working order. The ride was reopened with the other two trains. A DCA ride inspector reviewed the final train on Monday and found it to be in proper working order. The ride has been operating as designed with all three trains since Monday.”

This week’s incidents follow two others at the Jackson Township thrill park, including a June 29 partial derailment on the El Toro roller coaster, and a June 13 mishap on the Saw Mill log flume ride. On El Toro, a steel wheel on the sixth and last cart of a train dislodged from its proper position before the train came to a stop at a low-lying dip in the track, according to an incident report obtained by NJ Advance Media from the state Department of Community Affairs, which regulates theme parks. No injuries were reported. Passengers were guided off the train, and no injuries were reported.

The El Toro incident remained under review, or “red tagged,” this week, and has not been permitted to resume operating, according to the Department of Community Affairs.

The log flume incident involved one of the log-shaped boats hanging over perilously after glancing off a broken guide rail while rushing down the narrow, four-story spillway. Two riders were taken to a local hospital for observation. Repairs were made and the log flume was allowed to resume operations, the DCA said.

“Engineers in DCA’s Carnival and Amusement Ride Safety Unit reviewed the ride’s engineering documents and were satisfied with the repairs made to the ride,” the DCA said in a statement. “DCA inspectors conducted an inspection of the repaired ride on July 9 and placed the ride back in operation that day.”

The DCA publishes theme park safety tips on its website, urging guests to make sure their seatbelt, shoulder harness, lap bar or chains are fastened; secure all clothing and personal items; and follow the instructions of ride operators.

57 minutes ago, qpb2004 said:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Kingda Ka’s launch cable snapped.

They just replaced it in September. 🤣 We were there, and it was down the entire day. You could see the new (or old) cable laying next to the launch track from Zumanjaro. 

4 hours ago, tndank said:

Beginning Thursday July 22, Great Adventure will stop Hurricane Harbor ticket sales. Only open to season passholders and members. Don't forget to make a reservation. 

Still not worth going.   DreamWorks,  kalahari, qnd mountain creek  are all way better.  

20 minutes ago, Lightnin Loops said:

Still not worth going.   DreamWorks,  kalahari, qnd mountain creek  are all way better.  

Meh, HH is not a terrible water park.  I'd definitely put it ahead of DreamWorks and Kalahari in value, and ahead of all of them for not being 2+ hours away if you're coming from the south or west of Hurricane Harbor.  Their lazy river is also on point, and Mountain Creek doesn't even have an adult-sized one.

I'm never one to defend anything Six Flags, but be realistic here.  There's a reason they have to stop selling daily tickets.

16 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Meh, HH is not a terrible water park.  I'd definitely put it ahead of DreamWorks and Kalahari in value, and ahead of all of them for not being 2+ hours away if you're coming from the south or west of Hurricane Harbor.  Their lazy river is also on point, and Mountain Creek doesn't even have an adult-sized one.

I'm never one to defend anything Six Flags, but be realistic here.  There's a reason they have to stop selling daily tickets.

DW is worth every $$$$      ive been 2x.  And rode  over 40 slides  each visit.   You arent doing that at HH.   And hh slides are terrible compared  to DW.  DW has the way better  wave pool.  Has a water coaster.  Better lazy river.  Has 4 capsule slides.   Plus has  a toilet flush body slide.   Way better funnel tube slides.  Plus some reg tube slides and a few more body slides.    HH management  should  visit to see what a real water park has for slides.  Plus DW doesnt shut the wavepool fown for 15 min , every hr.   If you love lines, go to hh.  If you want to ride awesome  slides, spend the $$$$$ and go to DW. 

As for MC,  MC is billed as a thrill slide water park.  no lazy river needed.  MC is all about the Colorado river, zero g, cliff jumping , and the single and double tubes, plus rougue river body slide.   

Got back a little bit ago from going to GAdv with my kids for their first time to the park, and we all had a great day, on a manageable day crowd-wise! (The same could not be said for Hurricane Harbor, apparently, based on them reaching capacity again, having a security incident that briefly closed the park, and then making the decision to go pass-holders only the rest of the season!) Even my 7 year old rode everything he could, including Zumanjaro, and Jersey Devil!

Jersey Devil was my first RMC Single rail coaster, and our first two rides in the morning underwhelmed me, at least based on my expectations for it. I rode first in the front seat, then the back seat, and while the back was definitely better than the front for air, it wasn't as wild as I was expecting. At the end of the day, after dark, and presumably, after the coaster had sufficiently warmed up throughout the day, it was a different story! I rode in the 4th seat from the front, and 3rd from the back (on the last train of the night!), and both were awesome rides, wild, and full of airtime, just like I was anticipating! So clearly this is another coaster that gets better as the day goes on! Waits were manageable all day, with none ever topping a half hour for JD (I hate the "Coaster" part of the name, so I just ignore it, FYI), so that gives an idea of the crowd levels of the day. It broke down a couple of times, just that I saw, but never seemed to stay down long. All in all, it was a great coaster, and a great addition to the park! I love the area around it, and I'd say it settles in nicely as the second best coaster at the park, behind The Bull!

I'm not sure what our longest wait of the day was for, but it felt like it was for the parachutes ride! lol Only two chutes were operating, which turned what seemed like a reasonable line, into one that pretty much matched the wait time for Superman nearby (I went on Parachutes with my 7 year old while the older three kids went on Superman, and there wasn't much time difference between our experiences!) The longest wait of the day may have been either Kingda Ka (with a breakdown included), or Green Lantern (for obvious reasons), but even those topped out around 40-45 minutes. Not bad for a Summertime day at GAdv, and we were able to pretty much do the whole park that we wanted to do! We skipped Joker because we're not crazy about it in general, and we preferred to get more rides on JD. I attempted to get on Wonder Woman, which would have been my first Giant Discovery, but as it had been doing all day, it broke down as soon as I entered the line, and it was near the end of the day, so I didn't bother staying in line. I don't think it opened again. It also was pulling a large wait, it appeared. The longest wait time of the day on the app was stunningly Nitro, which was listed as 70 minutes! I couldn't believe it, as B&M Hypers are usually people eaters. We rode it early in the day and it was a walk-on, but we skipped a second ride at night due to the wait.

All in all, a great day at GAdv, and I have to say this is definitely my favorite SF park for rides, and thrills! My kids also loved it, and my 7 year old looks forward to coming back when he's over 54", so he can ride everything he missed this time around! I have a few other thoughts about the day, and the park, but I'll have to post them at a later time, as I have to crash right now, as we're hitting the road to make the 12 hour trip back home in about 8 hours.

• Like 2

Fright Fest will start in early August this year… well, maybe not all of Fright Fest but it seems like the park is readying at least one trail to open within the next few weeks, possibly as some sort of preview? 

Awhile ago I heard Great Adventure was very jealous of other Six Flags parks that run trails at other times during the year so maybe this is them trying to play catch up and extend the Fright Fest season, or part of it, just a little bit 

The post above was right. 

Big Top Terror indoor FF house will be open July 31 - Sept 8. I would assume it will also be open for the actual FF.  Love this. 

Fiesta had a couple houses open this summer for an event and it was great. They also did one in the spring. More parks should get with this trend. Love haunted houses and walk throughs any time of the year.