TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I do like how they never can make up their mind on this. A few years ago it was "Bring in a bunch of chains / franchises" then it was "Get rid of all of them and make it all our own shit so that we can put it on the dining plan and handle it all ourselves" and now it's "Bring in brands again".

It's a cluster...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, boldikus said:

Anyway, there is a conflicting report from an "apparent employee" that it did not in fact derail but that the front left road wheel blew out early in the ride, which if true would explain the smoke and the fact that it managed to make it through most of the course without catastrophic failure/killing people.

I’ve seen a road wheel on Superman @ SFNE go bad during a cycle and it pretty much did exactly what Toro did, just it made it to the end of the ride. It slowly lumbered thru the final bunny hops and slowly made it to the brakes. They just transferred the train off, swapped the wheels out and had the ride up and running soon after.

I would assume if it in fact was just a road wheel that went bad it shouldn’t be down for too long as long as it didn’t do any major damage to the track and train. 

19 minutes ago, Chasehat said:

I’ve seen a road wheel on Superman @ SFNE go bad during a cycle and it pretty much did exactly what Toro did, just it made it to the end of the ride. It slowly lumbered thru the final bunny hops and slowly made it to the brakes. They just transferred the train off, swapped the wheels out and had the ride up and running soon after.

I would assume if it in fact was just a road wheel that went bad it shouldn’t be down for too long as long as it didn’t do any major damage to the track and train. 

Superman has two road wheels per side per axle, like most Intamins.  El Toro has only one.  If a wheel blew out, the train was scraping along the track the entire way.  And that picture is undeniable.

^ Loving all the new videos, Robb!

Unrelated...

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/emergencies/2021/06/30/state-shut-roller-coaster-el-toro-nj-six-flags-after-derailment/

JACKSON - The state Department of Community Affairs has brought the El Toro roller coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure to a halt as it investigates what it is calling the partial derailment of the wooden coaster.

No one was injured when the 15-year-old ride stopped during a run about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

A video posted on social media purportedly shows the train stationary on the tracks and the rear wheels of the rear car elevated.

Kristin Fitzgerald, spokeswoman for Six Flags Great Adventure, said there was no derailment. “The train’s safety systems worked as designed and the train remained on the track,” she said in an email. But the Department of Community Affairs has "red tagged" the ride, meaning it has removed it from operation and placed it under an engineering review.

"The rear up-stop wheel, which prevents the train from lifting, came up on top of the rail," DCA spokeswoman Lisa Ryan said. "El Toro will not reopen until the DCA is provided with a report by the ride manufacturer indicating what caused the derailment as well as how to mitigate the issue,"

Ryan added that an inspector from then DCA’s Carnival-Amusement Ride Safety Unit was on site Wednesday and has not yet found the cause.

16 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Is it bad that the fact that the upstop wheel in the back car just absolutely couldn’t deal any more after 2 days of 100 degree rides makes me love El Toro more in a way? 😂 

The way that ride was running last week, combined with the temps this week...yeah, this wasn't entirely surprising right!?!?!

Got on Jersey Devil today & loved it! It was my 333rd credit! Unfortunately the day got cut short due to a rain storm. It was a bad one. Also we got an update on El Toro by a games attendant. He said expect the ride to be closed for 2 to 3 weeks…

E5015A26-82CB-4CB1-953E-765CF90904AA.jpeg

07B89653-6176-45CA-B67F-E160A80415D9.jpeg

31913D53-D251-4AC2-AA2E-3044ABE1911B.jpeg

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

Well if a games attendant said 2-3 weeks then I suggest we all book flights and hotels for July 22nd.

Just trying to be helpful since I was at the park today. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. An employee is an employee & they’ll know more than the GP for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mtavenger55 said:

Just trying to be helpful since I was at the park today. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about. An employee is an employee & they’ll know more than the GP for sure. 

Having worked at the park myself for 6 summers, this is absolutely false.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well I guess we’ll gave to wait & see. Hopefully sooner rather than later. It’s a shame because today I got on Kingda Ka twice in a row without getting off. It would’ve been nice to do that on El Toro. Not sure if I’ll get back to the park this year or not. 

Hi longtime lurker first time poster, was thinking of going to the park tomorrow, haven’t been in maybe 10 years or so and I know it’s Fourth of July weekend. Stupid idea? It’s supposed to be rainy all day so idk if that would help with crowds 

9 minutes ago, Basicbatch said:

Hi longtime lurker first time poster, was thinking of going to the park tomorrow, haven’t been in maybe 10 years or so and I know it’s Fourth of July weekend. Stupid idea? It’s supposed to be rainy all day so idk if that would help with crowds 

Are you going to invest in a Flash Pass? If yes go, if not don't. The rain forecast is typical summer scattered storms, and that won't deter the crowd unless the day is a clear persistent washout.

16 minutes ago, wildcattb5 said:

Are you going to invest in a Flash Pass? If yes go, if not don't. The rain forecast is typical summer scattered storms, and that won't deter the crowd unless the day is a clear persistent washout.

I don’t have a problem springing for a flash pass, as long as the rides are mostly open and don’t close easily because of the rain. How does it work? Like I said it’s been a while and when we went to universal it was all on our phones. I googled pics and the six flags ones look like tamagatchis from the 90’s lol

The park won't close rides (except Kingda Ka) due to rain. Only if there is low attendance and it is raining.
I haven't gotten Flash Pass at this park in years so can't comment.

1 hour ago, Basicbatch said:

I don’t have a problem springing for a flash pass, as long as the rides are mostly open and don’t close easily because of the rain. How does it work? Like I said it’s been a while and when we went to universal it was all on our phones. I googled pics and the six flags ones look like tamagatchis from the 90’s lol

Does the FP website not work here?  And if it does, what do they do at El Toro, etc that don't allow phones?

https://ga.sfflashpass.com/#