TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Yeah for 2 people for Platinum Flash Pass (single day) is $270.00 for Friday July 16th...Seems pricey. 

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass just so I feel like we can get multiple rides on certain coasters. Interested in how operations are here too?  Any info helps! 

I definitely want to ride Kingda Ka (multiple times), Batman, Jersey Devil Coaster (multiple times), El Toro (multiple times), Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Nitro (multiple times), Dark Knight Coaster, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Vekoma Madhouse, Joker, Skull Mountain, Wonder Woman, and the mine train, and maybe a few more.  Not really interested in Green Lantern bc I rode it last time I was there, and it was more painful than anything. Also not interested in Superman bc I have ridden it a million times at Six Flags over Georgia, and Cyborg just looks vomit inducing to me. 

I'm not a seasoned veteran like a lot of people on these boards, but the advice I was given was to rope drop Wonder Woman since its wait can be lengthy even with Flash Pass, and also to knock out Kingda Ka before it inevitably breaks down.

^^I wouldn't recommend buying Flash Pass online. Unless it's like a freakishly busy day, I have never even heard of Six Flags running out of Flash Pass. I had looked two days before our trip and the online prices were nuts. In-park purchasing was much cheaper.

Operations at this park were great the other day. Kingda Ka was running two stations and I can't remember them doing that in a long time. It went down two or three times for a matter of minutes but otherwise we saw it running all day up to and past closing time. El Toro was running both trains, Nitro 3 trains, Batman 2, Bizarro 3 etc. Occasional random all-train stacking because it's Six Flags and they'll temporarily lose their focus if there's a wheelchair guest, too-large guest, or someone asks them to solve too complicated a math problem, but otherwise they were cranking them out and when they did stack they recovered from it quickly.

I don't really feel like I've ever needed a game plan for Great Adventure the way you do for some parks. Sometimes we start at Nitro, sometimes Kingda Ka, sometimes El Toro, last year I even went with a friend who was a bit cautious so I marathoned Batman with her for a while before getting her to go on Nitro. Still didn't have a problem getting as many rides in on everything we wanted.

1 hour ago, chschris1 said:

Yeah for 2 people for Platinum Flash Pass (single day) is $270.00 for Friday July 16th...Seems pricey. 

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass just so I feel like we can get multiple rides on certain coasters. Interested in how operations are here too?  Any info helps! 

I definitely want to ride Kingda Ka (multiple times), Batman, Jersey Devil Coaster (multiple times), El Toro (multiple times), Zumanjaro, Bizarro, Nitro (multiple times), Dark Knight Coaster, Justice League, Skyscreamer, Vekoma Madhouse, Joker, Skull Mountain, Wonder Woman, and the mine train, and maybe a few more.  Not really interested in Green Lantern bc I rode it last time I was there, and it was more painful than anything. Also not interested in Superman bc I have ridden it a million times at Six Flags over Georgia, and Cyborg just looks vomit inducing to me. 

So it sounds like you want to pretty much ride everything save for a couple exceptions. If you see Ka operating, I'd go there first and foremost. Lately it's been operating better-than-average and no longer having to wait for Zumanjaro is a big plus that has immensely helped operations. But it's still a strata-coaster that can break down at any time and not reopen, so if getting on it is important to you, do it first. After that and Zumanjaro, cut over to El Toro, then Bizarro and the mine train while you're over there, then hit up Joker and/or Houdini and/or Skyscreamer on the way to the other side of the park. Jersey Devil being brand-new makes it temperamental, still lots of teething issues but they will do everything in their power to keep it running being that it's the new star attraction, so definitely get on it if you see it operating. Then it's up to you how to hit up Nitro/Batman/Skull Mountain/WW/Dark Knight/Justice League, obviously having the platinum pass will give you considerable flexibility compared to waiting in regular queues. Then once you get your fill in that side of the park, you can return back to Golden Kingdom or Plaza Carnival for more El Toro or Ka fun. If you have no interest in Superman or Green Lantern then no need to hang out in the Boardwalk area other than to just pass through.  

Like others have said, there's no right/wrong way to plan out the visit, you can totally do this backwards and still have a good time, biggest thing to remember is that your best/feature rides are on complete opposite sides of the park between Ka/Toro and JD/Nitro/WW. So it's best to plan on spending blocks of time in certain park clusters versus constantly zig-zagging back and forth.

10 hours ago, chschris1 said:

Curious if anyone has any good information how I should start the day there? I have no recollection of the park's layout bc I have only been here one time. What's a good game plan to go with at this park?  I am going to splurge and get the Platinum Flash Pass

OK so if you're going for Platinum FP on a Friday, you can basically do whatever the f**k you want.

Maybe start with Wonder Woman as the line does move slowly, and get JDC out of the way since its new and will be busy, but as long as you go for platinum you should be able to get on everything else without much wait, unless you're also waiting for the front on everything (psst - the only rides you need to ride in the front are Ka, Batman and Bizarro).

The park is a giant circle so if you start over by Wonder Woman/JDC just hit up Nitro/Batman/JLBFM/Skull Mountain while you're there and then work your way around the circle and hit things as you come to them (Joker/Skyscreamer/Houdini, then El Toro/Bizarro/Mine Train, Ka/Zum, and so on). Just make sure to reserve your next ride once you pass the FP attendant at the ride you're currently going on and you'll have absolutely no wait at the next ride. Once you complete the circle, go back for re-rides.

The most unreliable rides in the park (that matter... I didn't forget you, Cyborg) are Kingda Ka and Jersey Devil Coaster. Conveniently they're as far from each-other as humanly possible but I'd start at one of those since the only real strategy you need with Platinum Flash Pass is to make sure you ride those before they break.

Park can't catch a break. At least it didn't happen earlier in the ride, this could have been way worse.

And at least we know it'll be one of the safest rides in the park now. 🤣

Selfish post is selfish but hope they sort this quickly/fingers crossed the train isn't too damaged as I was planning on popping over soon to finally ride JDC. lol

27 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

Strange, I was told the back car was the best place to ride... :lolr:

*Glad to hear that everyone was okay*

"Best" and "Safest" don't go hand-in-hand.  The Titanic was the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, i305isdaddy said:

From discussions / photos over on Reddit it looks like the back car was dragged through a good portion of the layout while derailed. This is going to be an expensive and long fix. 

Yep.  That's what I've been seeing.  Can't imagine what that felt like or sounded like on the ride.  Amazing no one hurt, thankfully.

Also glad no one was hurt. It would be utterly terrifying to experience one of the most insane roller coasters in the world in a partially derailed car.

But yeah. This is my favorite coaster and I’m visiting for the first time in 5 years at the beginning of August and I’m really really hoping the park realizes the value in this ride and does everything they can to fix it quickly. I can’t think of any similar incidents on a coaster of this scale, though. I have a sickening feeling it will be down for a long, long time.

• Like 1

Right because if its on reddit (of all places) its likely true, right? 🙄 There are folks on there saying it derailed at the beginning of the ride and fishtailed down the first drop and through the course. Y'all actually believe that it made it through the entire course if that was what happened? And if so have you all actually ridden El Toro?

Anyway, there is a conflicting report from an "apparent employee" that it did not in fact derail but that the front left road wheel blew out early in the ride, which if true would explain the smoke and the fact that it managed to make it through most of the course without catastrophic failure/killing people.

My point is none of us know what happened or how bad this was, in spite of the fact that the social media park maintenance experts are out in full force on this one.

Because I'm sure some internet sleuth will come across it in the coming days and try and link it together, Asia's Intamin Pre-fab woodie T Express is closed next week but it's scheduled maintenance that was announced weeks ago and not related to El Toro.

2 hours ago, boldikus said:

^ Gross.

They should have went with Dunkin.

Dude you're really just choosing the smartest kid on the short bus.

As for El Toro, they already nerfed the lift hill after like the first month.  This might make them nerf the ride, or at least the finale.  Let's all get in a circle and pray to the dark lord, LucIntaminfer, that "The Drop" remains untouched.

2 hours ago, AngusW said:

Expect Starbucks in the park soon. Not a franchised store, but real, Starbucks-branded beverages served on Main Street.

This has the potential to be really cool but probably won't be because lines will be 50 people deep and moving at the pace of Wonder Woman's line in the height of covid.

4 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

Dude you're really just choosing the smartest kid on the short bus.

I never said Dunkin was amazing, I just implied it was better than the overpriced mud-brew that Starbucks peddles.

• Like 2

Choosing Starbucks not a park level decision. Coming to most parks in the chain in some capacity…eventually. Also, expect to see more places from the FAT Brands company come to the parks over the next several years as they try to retool some of their food offerings