TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It's a beautiful and amazing place with many wonderful things accumulated over the many years, not just coasters. It has some rough spots and is definitely overcrowded though.  

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Will be nice to return to this dump of a park (unless it's been spruced up in the 6/7 years since Ive gone) I do miss its few superb coasters. And since it has been so long perhaps I wont have all the bad tastes I used to in the day. Will be nice to have a big single rail RMC so nearby! 

Yeahhh let's just say it's not Fiesta Texas.

It's not just that Nitro has never received a repaint or that Kingda Ka's "scenery" has turned into an overgrown forest. To me, the most embarrassing aspects of the park are the simple things like faded/peeling guide signs and the gift shop "tents" before the outpost section looking half-abandoned despite being on one of the major pathways. Even parks that we consider "neglected" like Darien Lake seem to at least touch up their pathways and signage. Most people dismiss these negatives with the usual "well it's Six Flags, what are you expecting, Cedar Fair?" but still, c'mon...

It's like your favorite dive bar. Yeah it looks like a dump, and is a dump, but the food (or in this case, coasters) is amazing and it's always (mostly) a good time, so yeah, you love that dump. And the Jersey Devil expansion is a beautiful shining beacon amidst everything else...

• Like 2

Well....as the famous saying goes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Beautiful is not a word I would apply to Great Adventure lol Even when I was in HS (mid 2000s btw :( ) we used to joke how cruddy feeling the place was. I also recall when it used to have lots of rides, slowly over time there were less and less (and half the time various ones never were open anyway) but to each their own. Let's just say I agree with wildcattb5: It's that dive bar you love, which I do I LOVE dive bars! I always went because the rides were good, that simple. I've not lived in NJ for 5 years now so I do kinda miss it now in that dive bar type of way. 

But yeah for a bit I stopped going esp when they didn't seem to be adding much/anything of great quality but that's finally ending in a big way. It's pretty cool too they aren't just making a clone/similar version of the other single rails but getting a totally new, big, one it does kinda remind of the old days when OMG there was something fresh and big coming. I remember when there was Medusa, Nitro, Superman (a joke now but that at the time was totally different) KK and of course El Toro, holy s**t now. So that's part of it too, they just kinda flatlined for a loooong time and I felt less urge to put up with it. 

Looks like there is a POV and some off-ride footage available.  Not going to link it here since it's unofficial, but if you search on YouTube and filter on videos uploaded today, you should be able to find it.  

Edit: Disregard, official POV is available

How long before the MCBR critiques start?

17 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

You'll particularly appreciate the "marijuana is prohibited at the park" and "please don't fight" signs every 50 feet.

I saw both of these rules broken during our visit. It was lovely.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:12 PM, boldikus said:

This all sounds really awesome (and like they still have a good bit of work to do). Loving that they're adding hundreds of trees, etc around the ride.

https://www.facebook.com/sixflagsgreatadventure/videos/806171693646555/

Great video. Did they get new leadership? Im glad to see they changed their landscape strategy from from "lets theme everything as a hot concrete wasteland" to "shade is good"

7 hours ago, prozach626 said:

How long before the MCBR critiques start?

I saw both of these rules broken during our visit. It was lovely.

In HS I used to wonder if some people went to Great Adventure just to fight lmao Not surprised about the other either. I recall it was not allowed when I visited Discovery Kingdom, despite it being CA, and yes people were deff breaking it haha

Yeah that looks gnarly. Can't wait for this thing to open. Despite all the grief I gave/give this park...El Toro and Jersey Devil is a helluva top 2. 

Great night at Coaster Power Hrs again, minus  no Ka night rides again at this event.   This was my 3rd time going    And 3rd time not getting any night rides on Ka.   It broke down about 845 or 9.    30 min later   they called it.  Closed for the night.  Other then that   it was great night   Loved  SFNJ ditching the masks rule a day early.   Was stunned they didnt even enforce it  in indoor locations like  main street pub or funnel cake place next door.   we found it only being enforced at skull mtn.  

On 5/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, wildcattb5 said:

Yeahhh let's just say it's not Fiesta Texas.

It's not just that Nitro has never received a repaint or that Kingda Ka's "scenery" has turned into an overgrown forest. To me, the most embarrassing aspects of the park are the simple things like faded/peeling guide signs and the gift shop "tents" before the outpost section looking half-abandoned despite being on one of the major pathways. Even parks that we consider "neglected" like Darien Lake seem to at least touch up their pathways and signage. Most people dismiss these negatives with the usual "well it's Six Flags, what are you expecting, Cedar Fair?" but still, c'mon...

It's like your favorite dive bar. Yeah it looks like a dump, and is a dump, but the food (or in this case, coasters) is amazing and it's always (mostly) a good time, so yeah, you love that dump. And the Jersey Devil expansion is a beautiful shining beacon amidst everything else...

Majority of guests who go to the parks could care less about Nitro getting a paint job, or Ka having a  overgrown forrest..  Or a faded sign.  Give JD a few yrs, that ride will look like worn down too.  They go to ride,  that is all. 

7 hours ago, Lightnin Loops said:

Great night at Coaster Power Hrs again, minus  no Ka night rides again at this event.   This was my 3rd time going    And 3rd time not getting any night rides on Ka.   It broke down about 845 or 9.    30 min later   they called it.  Closed for the night.  Other then that   it was great night   Loved  SFNJ ditching the masks rule a day early.   Was stunned they didnt even enforce it  in indoor locations like  main street pub or funnel cake place next door.   we found it only being enforced at skull mtn.  

I was their yesterday too. They were enforcing it on Justice League (Played an announcement if someone took their mask down) and on Dark Knight their was a security guard in the "Pre Show" room

Great news. They finally got permission from the state to run Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka at the same time. No more staggered operations. Here's a vid that was posted today. I linked directly to the timestamp where you can see it in action.  If it doesn't automatically go to the time it starts at 7:29. This is not my video btw.

• Like 4

It's always so awkward when someone who rarely posts here comes on with some OMFG BrEaKinG NeWs hypefest without bothering to read the last few pages of a thread to see if its been talked about alrea.... oh you're a Youtube'r looking to plug your channel. Got it. Carry on...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for posting, it's good to see decent quality footage and that shows that it seems more often than not they're actually timed to run together. I wasn't even sure in the earlier video whether it had riders on or whether it was just testing.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link to that vid, that has got to be a pretty awesome experience seeing Ka launch, feeling the tower shake, and then getting to "race" it down!

8 minutes ago, KarlaKoaster said:

Thanks for posting, it's good to see decent quality footage and that shows that it seems more often than not they're actually timed to run together. I wasn't even sure in the earlier video whether it had riders on or whether it was just testing.

I wasn't clear on whether or not it was official based on the previous posts either. Someone is a little cranky this Sunday morning.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

^ Why did you think the signs were there? 😆

Man, that POV...This ride looks incredible. Something to look forward to on an (eventual) NYC trip.

I think the signs are new, and installed since weed became legal in NJ.

32 minutes ago, terdferg said:

I think the signs are new, and installed since weed became legal in NJ.

They were there last year too, they've just got about ten times more of them since the legalization LOL.