TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ Right. Just like in MO we passed the $12/hr minimun wage and right now it's $10.30 but a lot of businesses are just hiring at $12 anyway. Businesses will pay whatever they need to in order to attract employees. Paying $15 may help that one employee make the decision to work for Six Flags instead of their local McDonald's.

• 2 weeks later...

The drive thru safari reservations just opened up today, fyi. Going to do the drive thru at 9am on Easter before the park opens at 10.

Has anyone done the drive thru safari last year with a non Great Adventure season pass for free (not a membership)? I can't remember where I read that only Great Adventure passes would work. I was able to make the reservation with the SFA pass but I wanted to make sure they weren't going to try and charge me when I get there.

Edit: found in the FAQ. Anyone have a different experience?

a38e069d7b848643d54131424b714ec7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! Was planning to swing up to the park from DC this week (either Tuesday or Friday) for the first time. Does anyone have a sense of how busy the park will be or how good early season ride operations are at the park?

It's spring break during the week so its a crap shoot, you just have to take your chances. Tuesday is probably a better chance of lower crowds, and while the weather can and will change by then, Tuesday is a high of 62 while Friday is only a high of 47 so your chances of rides being cranky/too cold is worse on Friday. I'd try to go Tuesday if I were you.

You can expect most coasters to be open (obviously not Jersey Devil) but be warned many of the food stands will be closed so expect long lines for any type of food and drink. But go in with low expectations and you should have an OK time. They're generally pretty good about having the big dogs up and running for opening weekend/week but you shouldn't be surprised if rides are cranky because two of them are Intamins. They'll try to run them no matter what - they'll run Nitro when its 19 degrees so they don't give AF about that, but Toro does not like the cold.

11 hours ago, YoshiFan said:

There is a large group at the park Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I went to the park the same day they were there years ago and it was one of the most crowded I have ever seen the park except Fright Fest on a Saturday.

http://www.ncsygreatadventure.com

Thanks all for your help! We're going to avoid this group and head up to the park on Friday.

JDC update on the parks socials today.

https://twitter.com/SFGrAdventure/status/1375511548622368771

Might just be the angle but wild how close to the station both of those tracks seem to be.

image.thumb.png.8d5ef19e02f75147a874adc7dbc6bd03.png

image.thumb.png.c20d876145c994b3a3cbc6d4f33ddcd9.png

image.thumb.png.b9ef711cd87b017e2ca9a0fc85e44fe9.png

image.thumb.png.8e589c5ea2e028abf25d587beba05c13.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tndank said:

Nope. But why not buy a season pass? Only doing 1 day at Six Flags this year?

I would purchase a season pass, but I don't think it's wise for me to do so until reservation availability is confirmed for the specific date I'm looking at in June.

It was gorgeous on Saturday therefore the park was (apparently) mobbed. It poured on and off yesterday so no clue how things turned out.

Notable things re: Saturday: El Toro never opened, most food places were closed and ones that were opened had very long lines, the park had the audacity to change Nitro's station music, people are still smoking weed on the sky ride. I think that about covers it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, coasternut said:

Wasn't Great Adventure open this weekend? Where are all the trip reports??? I've heard from a friend living in N.J. that Covid is surging in the state again

Cases are rising like they are across the country. You can determine what a "surge" is since it's a made-up arbitrary term that the news likes because it sounds scary...

Aside from that we were at the park on opening day. There's not a ton to report. We had a great time but we went in knowing they would be understaffed, that lines would be huge (but we didn't expect to ride much) and that El Toro would be closed. We used our four line skips (Nitro, Kingda Ka twice and Wonder Woman) and otherwise just rode a few rides early (Batman, Nitro stand-by and Justice League) with short waits, Skyway mid-day from the fort side where lines are always shorter and Wonder Woman right at park close. Otherwise we just hung out and enjoyed seeing some friends and enjoying the unseasonably warm weather.

The only things of note that Joe didn't cover are that the Flash Pass line is back for Kingda Ka which makes waits shorter in theory (in reality a line behind 25 people to ride Kingda Ka is a 90 minute wait while you watch them cycle brakes, roll trains out, roll trains back, launch test trains, load trains, tell them to unload and everyone to take 2 steps back... all that good stuff. We don't know how long this delay will last and we recommend you check out great rides like Nitro and Superman blah blah blah.

Whatever though, we rode it and they let people wait for the front again so it was our first Kingda Ka front seat ride since 2019. We waited 2 hours with a skip-the-line pass. It was worth it.

A few shots from opening day:

9BE325C2-C4AA-4EAE-8ED4-3CA9B4B5F412.thumb.jpeg.3ca0466188977ef2c7e195ff1b0caf87.jpeg

It’s great to be back!

D4B055C4-5F43-4176-9B06-7B43ABEFA70C.thumb.jpeg.c300aa108e547a570aa1ce631da7716e.jpeg

Nitro’s line was overflowing. Most coasters were in the same boat.

166417971_3030608847167594_8282624550315379512_n.jpg

Social Distancing, Great Adventure style!

60119A64-5C9B-417A-A30F-DE4D147AB209.thumb.jpeg.fb27dd46c6deca80a3df3d2014b9521a.jpeg

Pour one out for Georgia

6212EC9E-D691-4BE4-BA9F-E426AE6AD473.thumb.png.0671c82340a73281440b1517dec43f8e.png

El Toro was down, but Nitro was picking up the slack

23273DDE-CD0D-45DB-9C06-FE99A0BA6751.thumb.jpeg.e0f6333c87834c86b01114ef08b92c00.jpeg

Seeing a loaded Ka train being launched on Saturday was like seeing an endangered species in the wild

02DE3AD0-EACE-4FBE-83CF-C43C4F829C9C.thumb.jpeg.f95b0151cf3d264b7c8d4f8de48a4a76.jpeg

Wild opening day sunset...

PS: I didn't walk over to take Jersey Devil pictures because I figured a bunch of nerds had already done that but it looks great.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, boldikus said:

It was gorgeous on Saturday therefore the park was (apparently) mobbed. It poured on and off yesterday so no clue how things turned out.

Notable things re: Saturday: El Toro never opened, most food places were closed and ones that were opened had very long lines, the park had the audacity to change Nitro's station music, people are still smoking weed on the sky ride. I think that about covers it.

I just checked the website and they have El Toro listed as temporarily closed. Is it normally closed earlier in the season because of colder weather or do we think it's a maintenance/staffing issue?

El Toro is never closed outside of Holiday in the Park. It's a maintenance issue. I've heard a lot of rumors but I'm not going to repeat them because they're all over the place. I wouldn't worry too much though unless you're planning on a trip in the next week or two.

16 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

We used our four line skips (Nitro, Kingda Ka twice and Wonder Woman) 

Probably a dumb question, but doesn't Diamond Elite get just 2 skips each visit?  Or can each individual person bring someone else for their two passes?

9 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

El Toro is never closed outside of Holiday in the Park. It's a maintenance issue. I've heard a lot of rumors but I'm not going to repeat them because they're all over the place. I wouldn't worry too much though unless you're planning on a trip in the next week or two.

Thanks! Was looking at visiting this Friday - we'll play it by ear but I've never been and it's a bit of a hike for me, so I might wait until it's confirmed to be open for the year.

11 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

Probably a dumb question, but doesn't Diamond Elite get just 2 skips each visit?  Or can each individual person bring someone else for their two passes?

If you didn't pause your Diamond Elite membership they upgraded you to a new tier called Diamond Elite VIP where you get four. I don't believe it's actually offered for sale though. Also: From my understanding this benefit is good forever.

Oh good to know about the El Toro thing! I was thinking of going this week, will hold off on that. This is why I love this site, the info is always o great! If I just rolled into Great Adventure for the first time in like 6 years and Toro was closed I'd have been so mad.