TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Also, I just realized that I posted this in the TPR Facebook group but not here....

120016266_10221949127191661_6544295251853054018_n.thumb.jpg.251c8567834a29e91f65c0d8791e903a.jpg

So I’m not normally a fan of Six Flags Fright Fest (understatement of the century) so I can’t believe I’m saying this but I actually really liked the “new” Hallowfest at Great Adventure.

Obviously it’s no Holiday in the Park but capacity was limited enough that it wasn’t the brutal hell of a typical Fright Fest day but it was busy enough to have a fun vibe.

If other parks were doing haunts I’d probably be more critical but going through the mazes in such small groups makes it hard to screw them up, and while they’re not amazing and not worth waiting too long for they’re fun if the lines aren’t that awful, and last night they were mostly manageable. They’re fun and I’m happy that there’s a theme park haunt somewhere in the northeast.

I think they’ve got the capacity at just the right spot right now (assuming it was full or mostly full yesterday). We’ll actually be back to do the trails that we missed since they’re included with the pass. Thumbs up from me, which isn’t something I normally say about Great Adventure during Halloween.

Disclaimer: When I refer to comfortable crowd levels, I mean in terms of wait times and not covid concerns for which they have none. Also: Be smart and ride the rides running at reduced capacity early and save the B&Ms and high capacity rides loading all rows (like Nitro) for when it gets busier. If you want to ride Kingda Ka or Wonder Woman for example, get there at open and go straight there. When Kingda Ka breaks while you’re in line because it will... wait it out.

Some common sense is required.

Hey guys, I'm going to be visiting the park this weekend and I have a few questions:

First, how flexible/inflexible is the park staff with regards to reservations? We made two reservations but we're also going to be spending some time in NYC beforehand, so we may get there earlier or later than the time we've reserved depending on traffic heading down there and what we have going on. If you're early, do they make you wait in one particular spot until your time comes? And if you're late, will they deny you entry at some point?

I see a few people have posted about some coasters going back to loading all rows. Does this only apply to the B&Ms or are other coasters doing this as well?

Does anyone have experience to share with the Flash Pass experience? The past few years, I've been getting Gold level, as in my experience *most* of the time the "50% wait or less" is way less than that. For example, last year when we were at Over Texas and Texas Giant had a 60 minute posted wait time, our wait on the Gold Flash Pass was only 7 minutes. But then, Mr. Freeze had a 90 minute line and we had to wait about 30 for it, but things like that still aren't really an issue enough for us to make the jump to Platinum level.

And Bill, if you're in the thread and can let me know what the beer/liquor situation is like, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I feel like they're not super strict with the reservations but I'm not 100% sure. Also, it takes time to park, get through security and the temperature scan and all of that (especially right at opening) so they know nobody is going to time it perfectly.

All B&Ms are loading all rows I think but I don't believe any other coasters are. The only one I'm not sure about is Green Lantern because f*ck that ride but I think they are. This means no guaranteed choice of seat at any ride but they often honor requests if they didn't already put someone in line for that row (so you can probably ask for the back on most coasters and get away with it but getting the front is highly unlikely).

They're a little smarter than Cedar Fair when it comes to the other coasters so on the other coasters they pretty much load each party together now and then put an empty seat between them but if you're a group of 6 they're not going to kill capacity by having that group of 6 have empty rows between them. Wonder Woman's loading process is maddening but still slightly better than it used to be.

I'm not sure about Flash Pass. We have the DE passes so we just use our 3 line skips each day and we're happy with that. I can tell you that if Wonder Woman is a priority you should ride it early even with Flash Pass. Kingda Ka gets long fastpass lines too.

The beer situation is that it's expensive . Still no beer jail but I wear the mask if I'm not actively drinking because I don't want too many people exploiting a loophole and causing them to bring back beer jail. During Hallowfest they cut beer sales off 2 hours before park close since the crowd is a bit on the drunker side. Normally it's one hour.

This is from Saturday exactly 10 seconds before 8:00.

119953099_10221943515971384_9057378272211580439_n.thumb.jpg.f5ffb25d290363928927431f156812ab.jpg

Edited by coasterbill

I was there on Sunday. The attendant on El Toro wasn't happy about it but she begrudgingly let us choose the magic next-to-last row. For the most part though, they're assigning rows and aren't giving much leeway. The crowd was horrible. I've never seen so many disorderly people in my life. I thought a Sunday wouldn't be too bad since most people would leave early for work or school the next day but that didn't seem to be the case. An entire group of people literally shoved their way up the El Toro line and employees said nothing. Teenagers were running around the park with no regard for anyone else. I heard of a couple fights over near Nitro but I never saw anything myself. Security seemed to be doing a decent job but they were just overwhelmed and understaffed. These factors definitely made for a Six Flags day but luckily rides on El Toro and Nitro can make even the most frustrating day worthwhile.

The crowd was horrible. I've never seen so many disorderly people in my life.

I remember my first Fright Fest...

I remember my first (and last) Fright Fest...

Great Adventure during Fright Fest is the worst experience I've ever had at an amusement park. I refuse to ever go back during Fright Fest.

Also, I just realized that I posted this in the TPR Facebook group but not here....

[attachment=0]120016266_10221949127191661_6544295251853054018_n.jpg[/attachment]

So I’m not normally a fan of Six Flags Fright Fest (understatement of the century) so I can’t believe I’m saying this but I actually really liked the “new” Hallowfest at Great Adventure.

Obviously it’s no Holiday in the Park but capacity was limited enough that it wasn’t the brutal hell of a typical Fright Fest day but it was busy enough to have a fun vibe.

If other parks were doing haunts I’d probably be more critical but going through the mazes in such small groups makes it hard to screw them up, and while they’re not amazing and not worth waiting too long for they’re fun if the lines aren’t that awful, and last night they were mostly manageable. They’re fun and I’m happy that there’s a theme park haunt somewhere in the northeast.

I think they’ve got the capacity at just the right spot right now (assuming it was full or mostly full yesterday). We’ll actually be back to do the trails that we missed since they’re included with the pass. Thumbs up from me, which isn’t something I normally say about Great Adventure during Halloween.

Disclaimer: When I refer to comfortable crowd levels, I mean in terms of wait times and not covid concerns for which they have none. Also: Be smart and ride the rides running at reduced capacity early and save the B&Ms and high capacity rides loading all rows (like Nitro) for when it gets busier. If you want to ride Kingda Ka or Wonder Woman for example, get there at open and go straight there. When Kingda Ka breaks while you’re in line because it will... wait it out.

Some common sense is required.

Did they still have The Awakening show in the Arena?

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to Six Flags Great Adventure yesterday and Saturday. Park was packed! Lines for most coasters were 2 hours+. Not sure what restrictions they are operating under.

Here's some footage of Jersey Devil construction from yesterday, not much movement -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYROHelpZys

I was planning on going to Hallowfest as a passholder this sunday with friends who would need to buy daily tickets. I reserved with my pass for a group of 4 for opening at 1, but when I looked to buy daily tickets for my 3 friends it only showed availability from 4:45 on. Is there any way my friends could arrive sooner, or is this not possible? Another alternative would be possibly purchasing tickets without reservations, if possible. 

9 minutes ago, tndank said:

If you have a reservation for 4 people, what does it matter what reservations they make?  You've got them covered.  

Yes but I haven’t purchased their tickets yet and it makes you create another reservation.

20 minutes ago, tndank said:

Pick whatever you want.  Sounds like they'll be using the ones you made. 

Reservations are not tied to a specific ticket or pass.  You just need one or the other to make them.

Ok, thanks for the response.

So...I'm highly considering taking advantage of the $60 Season Pass offer that's going on right now (mostly in prep of a road trip next summer when, hopefully, more parks are open) and heading to the park this coming Sunday.  I'll admit I haven't really been following what's opened or closed at this park.  Really I'm just concerned with Ka, El Toro, Batman, and Skull Mountain.  I figure I'm safe in assuming these are all running?