TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Magic Mountain sent Great Adventure Riddler's Revenge third train so Green Lantern could run 3 trains. Great Adventure sent it back to Magic Mountain after a few years since it wasn't really needed and I think so Riddler's Revenge wouldn't be forced to run 1 train while the other train was being refurbished each year.

^Bingo.

I think Six Flags realized that Magic Mountain, being a year-round park, probably benefited more from having a third train to cycle through maintenance than Great Adventure did. It is also interesting to note that Green Lantern has 7 cars per train and Riddler has 8, so I wonder if somewhere in the process they kept off the last car at either park during the transfer.

Some good news - non-essential construction can resume in New Jersey this Monday at 6:00AM! Looks like even with a forced government shutdown, Jersey Devil will finish earlier than West Coast Racers did!

That is the best news I've heard out of that park since El Toro. I'm curious how it will work through since they completely destroyed the natural flow for cars into the Safari.

Edit: Nevermind the second part. Looking at a map I see they could just loop cars through the waterpark entrance road, then have people exit through the service road between the old Safari Hospitality Lot and the main parking lot.

Honestly, pretty excited for this to make a return. I have good childhood memories from the prior incarnation of the safari, and I hate to say it, but I've never spent the time doing SORA since they opened that. Given the way everything is going right now, I wouldn't mind packing my family in the car and making the drive down so my wife and kids can experience this!

Makes perfect sense really, it eliminates the need to run those trucks at a limited capacity as well as eliminates the need for the tour guide and driver.

The lines to get into this might be crazy long though with people wanting something to do while still staying away from others. Hopefully people behave and don't screw this up for others.

If only they could really go old school and unfence the monkeys.

But this is awesome news!

I highly doubt they will just to avoid the liability claims, but the road through the monkey exhibit still exists per Google Maps, even if it has seen better days. Theoretically, they could allow cars through there.

Red = Road through monkey exhibit where they can jump on your cars.

Green = Bypass road around monkey exhibit (separated by a fence).

monkey.thumb.jpg.826c12423b9567fa9c52046685c6f252.jpg

This was heavily, heavily rumored from a few people I know who are connected to the park, but super happy to see it actually happening. That said, it'll be interesting to see how people weigh having something to do outdoors vs how much they give a sh*t about their car.

it'll be interesting to see how people weigh having something to do outdoors vs how much they give a sh*t about their car.

This is so cool. Wish I had a crap car where I didn’t have to worry about damage. So awesome to see Great Adventure doing this!

You two are seriously overestimating what this is. I have personally gone through the safari dozens of times growing up, either with my family, friends, or otherwise. I've gone through in rusted-out Chevy Novas, I've gone through in just-waxed BMWs. There is absolutely nothing at all, animal or environmental, in the safari that will do damage to your vehicle as long as you stay on the road. The dangerous animals (lions, tigers) are behind cages, the other animals are shy or want to lick you (or the bread you have). The only wild card was the monkeys. We usually took the bypass road for the monkeys, but I've been through the main road more than once and the worst thing that happened was the little bastard took a shit on the sunroof.

The only wild card was the monkeys. We usually took the bypass road for the monkeys, but I've been through the main road more than once and the worst thing that happened was the little bastard took a shit on the sunroof.

Hopefully it wasn't a Chicago Sunroof!

(A little Better Call Saul reference there!)

This is exciting news for GAdv! Assuming the park opens again this year, I'll be there, as I have relatives in the area, and I'll be sure to check this out for the first time!

it'll be interesting to see how people weigh having something to do outdoors vs how much they give a sh*t about their car.

This is so cool. Wish I had a crap car where I didn’t have to worry about damage. So awesome to see Great Adventure doing this!

You two are seriously overestimating what this is. I have personally gone through the safari dozens of times growing up, either with my family, friends, or otherwise. I've gone through in rusted-out Chevy Novas, I've gone through in just-waxed BMWs. There is absolutely nothing at all, animal or environmental, in the safari that will do damage to your vehicle as long as you stay on the road. The dangerous animals (lions, tigers) are behind cages, the other animals are shy or want to lick you (or the bread you have). The only wild card was the monkeys. We usually took the bypass road for the monkeys, but I've been through the main road more than once and the worst thing that happened was the little bastard took a shit on the sunroof.

Whoops, my bad. I must have just imagined the half dozen times my dad drove us through this very safari as a kid, monkeys scratching up his paint job and ripping off his antenna among other things. You're clearly more qualified to talk about this than us. My apologies.

That said, it'll be interesting to see how people weigh having something to do outdoors vs how much they give a sh*t about their car.

Yeah, I'm one of those people who does, so I won't be taking my car through one of those any time soon.

That being said, I hope Six Flags has a policy of not allowing rental vehicles through there, otherwise people will probably be on the hook for a lot of damage.

Seriously, all of you from outside the region that never experienced this can probably hold back their commentary.

KBrylczyk and Boldikus are both correct: 99% of the drive-through safari will cause absolutely 0 damage to your car. The monkey/baboon section, if they allow you to go through it (and not use the bypass road that has almost always been available), will almost certainly cause some sort of damage to your car (scratched paint, pulled away trim, removed wipers or antennae, rips in vinyl, etc.). That's all there is to it.

People with rental cars shouldn't be prohibited from going through it. They should probably avoid the monkey section, but if they choose not to, that's their choice to accept the possibility of damage to their rental.

Source: Having been through it dozens of times as a kid and working at the park for 5 years in the department that initially received most complaints about damage to cars.