TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Polar Coaster Challenge was amazing. I was first in line, first train, front row. Not sure I've ever felt cold like that before in my life, but going 80mph with the 37 degree weather made the wind chill 17 degrees. By the end of the ride my arms and legs were burning and hitting the brakes actually made you feel rather warm and toasty for a bit.

IMG-4682.jpg

IMG-4683.jpg

IMG-4684.jpg

The complete 2020 calendar is out.

Obviously this is subject to change because it's Six Flags.

Opening Day is April 4th.

Right now the calendar actually implies no gap between Labor Day and Fright Fest on 9/11 but that seems like it could change because it's weird. I'm not saying it will, but it might.

Grape Adventure would (I guess) be November 7th and 8th which is the only non-HITP or FF weekend.

Holiday in the Park would start on 11/21 and end on 1/1 which is stupid since that's a Friday and they might as well run it until 1/3. I'd be surprised if they don't change that.

Edited by coasterbill

• 2 weeks later...
Pro tip: You need this in your life.

I can’t believe I’m raving about Six Flags food but OMG

I also agree. These were fantastic. They were the perfect thing to eat before a Nitro marathon.

Speaking of Nitro, my buddy and I got a (fro)zen ride on it and I've never seen Nitro move so slowly. This led to the mid-course brake not grabbing us and the return run had way stronger airtime than I've ever gotten on Nitro.

Speaking of Nitro, my buddy and I got a (fro)zen ride on it and I've never seen Nitro move so slowly. This led to the mid-course brake not grabbing us and the return run had way stronger airtime than I've ever gotten on Nitro.

Yeah it's fun when that happens. We got stuck on the lift for about 15 minutes the other night (25 degrees, lol). The brakes wouldn't release the other train so they kept starting and stopping us further and further up until it moved like 10 air horns later. The midcourse didn't touch us on that one, but to be fair there were only 4 people on the train since it was the last train of the night.

It was hilarious. One of our favorite Nitro rides ever. Holiday in the Park is a magical time where the sounds of jingle bells and airhorns fill the air and our hearts.

Edited by coasterbill

That perfectly sums up Great Adventure's willingness to push the limits of their rides.

I don't recall seeing anything go down yesterday (even briefly), but the lowest temperature was 35-36 degrees. I've gone on days where the high doesn't even reach that, so the rides are used to far worse.

Oh, unrelated but (speaking of seeing rides go down) we rode Cyborg on Sunday and I used to be an apologist for that ride but the ride cycle is so bad that we all thought it broke. No.. that was just really the full cycle. It's a great looking ride but what a piece of junk.

Edited by coasterbill

I thought Cyborg was running better for me this year than when I rode it last year. It kept flipping start to finish for me on both my rides yesterday.

Was it fully loaded or empty? I noticed last year I got non-stop flipping if it was mostly empty, but if it was fully loaded it spent most of the time rocking.

^ Aw man, Canobie, you were in town yesterday? Shame I missed you, would have loved to meet up.

The kiddo and I rode Cyborg yesterday once the sun went down, and honestly, the light package on it is what makes the ride. During the daytime, it's meh, but once it gets dark and those lights kick in, it's completely disorienting. We ended up riding two in a row and yeah that was a mistake. A fun mistake, but a mistake to be sure.

I know I've been doing this for the past few years now but it never fails to amaze me just how well Batman runs in cold weather. That ride consistently kicks my ass and with the freezing air whipping my face it's even better.

Looking forward to heading back on New Year's Day and getting in the annual Nitro marathon. The kiddo's looking forward to joining for his first time this year as well.