TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I hear a lot of people saying "this park gets insane crowds" and I know it does at times... but as a local that frequents this park fairly often I honestly can't remember the last time I went to this park and it was absolutely mobbed. Now, I know some people travel and can't change when they visit as easily as someone close by like me, but that's just a risk you have to take. It works both ways - I have to worry about this stuff when visiting other parks. Budget for fast pass and get there bright and early and make a f*cking effort. LOL

This.

Before planning to go to a park, I check EVERYTHING. Events, concerts, weather, what day it is. Everything factors into when a park will be busy or not, so if you have the option to go on a different day when you KNOW it's gonna be packed due to an event, then DO THAT.

Worried about capacity? Go to the park in the spring. Go on those weird off weekends between Fright Fest and HITP. Or just go during HITP.

Just don't go on a really nice day in the summer. Don't go on a BAFF day. Or go in the summer but get there first thing and run right to the ride.

I hear a lot of people saying "this park gets insane crowds" and I know it does at times... but as a local that frequents this park fairly often I honestly can't remember the last time I went to this park and it was absolutely mobbed. Now, I know some people travel and can't change when they visit as easily as someone close by like me, but that's just a risk you have to take. It works both ways - I have to worry about this stuff when visiting other parks. Budget for fast pass and get there bright and early and make a f*cking effort. LOL

The only bad experiences I have at the park are during Fright Fest and in 2018 we decided to take a hike on Saturday in April, it turned out that day was 85 degrees and everyone in the tristate decided to go as well, the food lines were an hour and a half long, the rides averaged at 20-40 minutes.

I'll stick to my Wednesdays in the summer. Without fail no matter the weather, the park is usually dead and everything is walk on to 10 minutes.

FWIW, even as somebody who has to travel from a long ways to go to the park, and has visited a number of different times of the year, I've never thought the crowds were obscene. Now, maybe I got lucky, but from what I'm hearing, you never know about this park, and if you're smart about it (not going weekends in the Summer or FF), you should be fine.

Worried about capacity? Go to the park in the spring. Go on those weird off weekends between Fright Fest and HITP. Or just go during HITP.

Just don't go on a really nice day in the summer. Don't go on a BAFF day. Or go in the summer but get there first thing and run right to the ride.

Being there at park open and going straight to the ride is the best way to get on any ride, ever. We almost always go at park open at any park to get on rides before it gets busy.

^This was my thought as well. I've never had a ride on The Bull that I thought was "butter smooth" throughout the duration of the ride. That turnaround is always a little bit jerky. Not too bad, mind you. But not really smooth, in my opinion. The rest of the coaster definitely is, however!

Got back from Six Flags Great Adventure a few days ago, and I figure that I should put some thoughts down.

I really liked El Toro, and it was my favorite ride in the park. It was a shame that it was only running one train as that did put a damper on my opinion on the ride. If I ignore the operational issues, then El Toro is easily in my top 10 coasters.

I am surprised about how many rides were running three trains. Like, I can’t imagine that Kingda Ka particularly benefited from three trains.

The Safari Ride was pretty great. It must be pretty expensive to staff and maintain, so I’m glad that it is so popular.

Runaway Mine Train and Green Lantern were pretty bad. I generally love Arrow Mine Trains, and I figure that I should try to ride a stand up B+M coaster before all of them are converted to floorless coasters. What a fool I was...

Overall, a pretty decent day, I think.

I have no idea, I just know that our ride yesterday was butter smooth.

Did they fix the spot at the bottom of the Rolling Thunder hill? It was really brutal there back in June.

I've never heard anyone mention the bottom of the RT hill being rough before. Do you mean the bottom of the turnaround hill.

Could we have a little discussion about whether Jersey Devil will have assigned seating, and/or a moving platform loading system like Wonder Woman? I have not been on either of the current Raptor models, so for those who have, please weigh in on this if you could. What are the current seating assignment, or pick your seat systems in place at WW and Railblazer? I know WW has the moving platform, and it appears a single line that feeds the train, so I'm assuming they always assign seats. Is that the case? As for RB, I know they don't have the moving platform, so do they have queues for each row, and you can choose where you sit?

Turning to Jersey Devil, I am really hoping for the ability to choose your seat on this coaster! I know that having a single line feed the train and no assigned seating would boost capacity, but especially on a coaster like this, where the back should offer a pronounced ride enhancement, it'd be nice to have the option to choose. Could they possibly have a moving platform, and individual row queues? Again, I've never actually been on WW, so I don't know if they have those or not, but from the videos I've seen, it doesn't appear to.

Thoughts? Predictions? What do you all want the seating system to be, and what do you predict it will end up being? This is going to be an awesome coaster, regardless of which setup they use, and it has me eagerly anticipating my next visit to SFGAdv next year!

If the rendering is correct and this thing has 4 trains, I think they'll need to have the moving platform.

Wonder Woman had a staging area where they'd group 8 riders. When your train arrives, you enter the station single file filling the train front to back. Fiesta Texas allowed you to request and wait for a row when I rode it opening weekend.

Wonder Woman has a really cool system. There are three sets of numbers painted on the floor, 1-8. The grouper thus has three trains to work with in getting all the seats filled. Eliminates the need for a group of 2 or a single rider to push past anyone. Then once the front set of numbers is filled, the grouper will ask that train to go into a short side queue that leads to the back of the station. The trains never stop, so loading when the train is in the back gives a lot of time to load. It's wonderfully efficient and the clockwork of it is fun to watch.

Yea, this is one of those rare situations where it sounds as if Six Flags has a much better operations strategy. Railblazer is equipped with the standard gates for each row, with an employee at the station entrance directing people to each row. However, they only fill up enough for one train at a time, and the trains come to a full stop in the station. Even with the attendants moving at a steady pace, it was difficult for them to get a train dispatched without the other train sitting behind it for several seconds, so I can imagine three-train operations involves a lot of stacking.

Hopefully Six Flags ports over their operations procedure from Fiesta Texas.

Considering they ordered a longer train one would assume they are considering capacity. Hopefully they're also going with the continuously moving train/loading. This park hates (paying for) groupers so if they do staff this ride with one I'd fully anticipate it being gone after the first season.

Speaking of groupers, after spending the weekend at CP I'd forgotten how awesome it is to NOT have to maneuver through a packed and unorganized station trying to figure out which row we should go for (and since the staff at CP is generally awesome, we never had a problem getting the row we wanted after asking nicely).

Speaking of Jersey Devil, all entrances to Looney Toons Seaport have been blocked off.

Gadv1.thumb.jpg.65910dae671964b451f048ea1ed4b0f6.jpg

Gadv2.jpg.7c5b39304d1e741f8b71ed12b3939d37.jpg

Gadv3.jpg.4f83e7d7d435b6c8fae17589840ec1f4.jpg

Photos by Kyle in the Great Adv Conn FB group

A part of me has confidence that sanity will prevail and by Holiday in the Park they'll move those fences back or relocate a few kiddy rides so they don't go into a family Christmas event with like 6 kiddy rides tops but it's also Six Flags, so I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Edited by coasterbill

I believe next visit I'm going to attempt to bring my camera to the park. Hopefully they'll let me in, I'm not quite sure about their DSLR policy, I remember it being strict but all traces of it are gone from the website now. Hopefully that means they've relaxed because I would love to get shots of the park and my lenses should help getting super tight to some of the trains.

Yeah this park is a bit odd with photography. Earlier this year, they looked long and hard at my point and shoot camera since it had a zoom lens, but they did allow it into the park. And a few years ago I took a picture of the observatory from a

main pathway and a security guard told me I had to delete the photo since the observatory was behind a fence.

Im looking at the Fright Fest page and they havent listed a show for the main theater. I hope that changes.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/special-events/fright-fest

Anyone know what weekend is the one where they open all the mazes? The first 1-3 weeks they only open 75% of them, but I never know when the right time to go is.

In before "there is never a right time to go to fright fest"