TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Cool that they posted this on their Instagram stories.

I agree. It's awesome they shared the answers!

Can we take a moment to appreciate that Great Adventure may now have the two best drops in the country?

Can we wait until the coaster opens?

Fair point. If the drop has anymore whip from the longer train than the other two Raptors, I think this will come true.

I almost feel like they are kinda underselling this coaster. That they're just saying "5 elements with 2 inversions" *sounds* a little underwhelming, no?

but THREE WORLD RECORDS

Ten thoughts:

1 Love the name and theme. I've seen more than once person post that they don't like the name because it remind them of the hockey team. The Jersey Devil is local folklore that goes back over a century, as a Philadelphian who has always spent summers at the Jersey shore (and traversed the Jersey Pine Barrens to get there and back) I've been hearing about that little creep in the woods my entire life. Everyone around here is digging the theme, its a long time coming for this park. Here's to hoping there at least some story boards in the queue about the creature/legend.

2 Three birds with one stone. Shuts up the "we need an RMC" whiners, the "we haven't had an original coaster since Toro" whiners, and the "we only get DC themed rides" whiners.

3 The park teased it would be "legendary and monstrous" and the Jersey Devil is both of those things.

4 RIP best bathroom in the park. Even if they keep it (and from the rendering looks like they will), its gonna be mobbed for the foreseeable future. Meh. If there is one negative thing about this addition, that's it.

5 This thing is big. Looks like this goes from almost Skull Mountain all the way down past the rapids. In other words, its huge. I'm wondering how much (or if all) if Safari Kids is going? Or moving?

6 Capacity. The dirty C word. Twelve passenger trains, hopefully continuously-moving loading, and it looks like we have a midcourse. If WWGLC has no midcourse and can run 3 trains, we get 4 trains then?

7 Its safe to assume this will run during HITP. Let me hear the people in the back say hell yeah.

8 This thing looks absolutely sick. I love how the final bunnyhops look like they have a little outerbank to them.

9 Night rides back here, yall. Night rides! Hopefully they'll keep some of the trees around the ride.

10 We're totally getting a new kids area in 2021.

I'm with you on 9 out of 10. I always liked the bathroom but felt creepy using it, like it should only be for kids.

Edited by larrygator

Ten thoughts:

1 Love the name and theme. I've seen more than once person post that they don't like the name because it remind them of the hockey team. The Jersey Devil is local folklore that goes back over a century, as a Philadelphian who has always spent summers at the Jersey shore (and traversed the Jersey Pine Barrens to get there and back) I've been hearing about that little creep in the woods my entire life. Everyone around here is digging the theme, its a long time coming for this park. Here's to hoping there at least some story boards in the queue about the creature/legend.

2 Three birds with one stone. Shuts up the "we need an RMC" whiners, the "we haven't had an original coaster since Toro" whiners, and the "we only get DC themed rides" whiners.

3 The park teased it would be "legendary and monstrous" and the Jersey Devil is both of those things.

7 Its safe to assume this will run during HITP. Let me hear the people in the back say hell yeah.

9 Night rides back here, yall. Night rides! Hopefully they'll keep some of the trees around the ride.

Love all of these points!

I had never heard of the Jersey Devil until someone mentioned it as a possible theme for this ride, and as soon as I looked it up, I thought that absolutely should be the theme. Glad they did it! Also makes sense why El Diablo was taken out.

Your #2 point is on point!

7 & 9 might just tempt me into dragging my a$$ from cold Ohio to cold Jersey during the holidays.

10 We're totally getting a new kids area in 2021.

Are you willing to bet your other foot on that?

I mentioned it before, but I'll just close by mentioning it again: What an excellent, and fun teasing campaign by GAdv this was! Kudos to them and their marketing department for this fantastic lead-up, and reveal! Even though it leaked a little early, they still did a great job of keeping it under wraps, especially in comparison to Candymonium, Pantheon, and Orion, three of the other top 2020 coasters announced. I know it's popular to give SF crap in enthusiast circles, but I think once again they did a great job with all of their additions this year, led by this crown jewel of a coaster!

100% agree! I saw the leak of this last night, but given the fact that literally everyone was confused and intrigued af until the day before the announcement really says something given how badly-kept secrets the other big announcements this year have been. So even though the scramble wasn't "supersecrecy," it really should have been because they did a great job on that front!

I'm glad they posted the answers to the clues on their Instagram! I didn't see them answering what the number "12" was supposed to mean. 13 would make sense (13th child, 13 stories) but unless I missed something, I'm not sure where the 12 comes from.

EDIT: someone on Twitter mentioned maybe 12 for the 12 cars per train? What do you all think?

^ 12 passenger trains!

^^ That bathroom was always clean and always freezing cold in summer or heated in winter. And since basically no one knew it was back there it was almost always empty. I'll miss being able to quickly pop over there during HITP Nitro marathons this year!

Also I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but its actually kind of cool that its 13 stories since 13 is considered a bad or unlucky number. It goes nicely with the theme.

Also I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but its actually kind of cool that its 13 stories since 13 is considered a bad or unlucky number. It goes nicely with the theme.

13 stories for Mrs. Leeds' 13th child.

Sorry if this has been posted but it looks like it could potentially have 4 train op. The rendering POV (I always take with a grain of salt) shows the transfer shed with 4 tracks.

Well seeing that the media release said there is 4 trains I’m sure they plan to use them all when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 stories for Mrs. Leeds' 13th child.

Exactly. And also 12 passengers with the front of the train as the devil/13th child.

This ride is so awesome. I really love the theme.

Anyone wanna take bets on how long/often they'll actually use all four trains before downgrading?

I would at another Six Flags park but SFGadv is pretty good about using all the trains. Nitro always runs three, Bizarro usually runs three in the summer, Ka only runs two or three of four because of the way they use the single station now.

Hello everyone! I went to the park on August 28th. Here's my PTR:

This particular visit to the park for me was special because I haven't actually BEEN to Great Adventure since December of 2017. Since I went to college in Connecticut in 2016, it became nigh-impossible to find time to visit the NJ park (although I did make plenty of visits to Six Flags New England in the last 3 years.) Fortunately, I graduated this past May and got myself a new Membership card for Great Adventure a few weeks ago. I'm also aware that I was visiting the park the day before the big 2020 announcement, but it was the only day this week that I had off from work, so it was a coincidence.

My party (Me, my mother, her friend and her two children) arrived at 11 AM and immediately went on the Safari Off Road Adventure, which barely had a line. Due to the muggy weather yesterday, it didn't stop at Camp Adventura and (according to the app) actually closed altogether later on; we lucked out big time. Next up we rode Runaway Train, then the Skyride so that we could get lunch on the other side of the park. Then we able to all ride SkyScreamer twice in a row since the lines were so short (which ended up being a common occurrence thanks to the on-and-off rain that day). Next up for me was Wonder Woman & Cyborg, (while our 3 friends rode Dark Knight) and now that I've finally ridden both of them, I now know to NOT ride them back to back. The number of times I felt my stomach drop between both rides was almost too much for me.

After a brief break, we all rode Justice League together, which accumulated a 20-minute wait since it was raining at the time. Also, keep in mind that the younger of the 2 children in my party is too short to ride the attractions that have a 54" height limit, so he wasn't able to ride everything. The elder of the two young'n's tried to ride Nitro with me, but it broke down right as we were about to board (it would have been a walk on!) After that we were able to ride Congo Rapids twice in a row. I usually don't go on the water rides, but before the actual 2020 announcement, the rumor was that Congo Rapids would be replaced by the new ride, so it was now or never for us.

Next up was Joker, which also broke down was we were about to ride it, but we eventually got to ride it after a quick ride on Swashbuckler and back to back rides on Skull Mountain. Next, was the Parachutes, which we were able to ride 3 times in a row. While we were up there, we finally saw Kingda Ka running, so that was next for myself, my mother and the the elder of the children. She was worn out after one ride (which was her first on KK), but I got to ride it a 2nd consecutive time, which is practically unheard of! Then was Zumanjaro for my mother, the younger child, and I, and he loved it so much that he & my mother rode it three times in a row (I only did it twice). After that it the rain became the worst it was all day, and by that point it was 8:45 PM so we called it a day after a quick trip to the Main Street gift shop.

My FInal Ride-count :

Parachutes 3x

Kingda Ka 2

SkyScreamer 2x

Skull Mountain 2x

Zumanjaro 2x

Congo Rapids 2x

Wonder Woman 1x

Cyborg 1x

Joker 1x

Justice League 1x

Swashbuckler 1x

Runaway Train 1x

Skyride 1x

Safari 1x

My camera actually broke in the middle of the day, so I wasn't able to get as many pics as I wanted, but I still took plenty of photos. Here they are:

https://imgur.com/gallery/xFdXEut

Anyone wanna take bets on how long/often they'll actually use all four trains before downgrading?

I would at another Six Flags park but SFGadv is pretty good about using all the trains. Nitro always runs three, Bizarro usually runs three in the summer, Ka only runs two or three of four because of the way they use the single station now.

Bizarro was running three when I went during Easter break.

That day wasn’t exactly packed, but there were a decent number of people, and Ka held like a 40 min line since they could only launch 1 train per Zumanjaro cycle. One person said they had a maintenance issue with the train they would normally use as the 2nd train, but they have two other trains, so I’m still confused why it happpened.

It's fair to say, though, that one-train operations like that are by far an anomaly at this park and nowhere near the norm.

It's hard to forecast what operations on Jersey Devil will be like since we've never seen a single-rail coaster of this length and with a midcourse brake, but I'm confident that operations will remain smooth.

Worried about capacity? Go to the park in the spring. Go on those weird off weekends between Fright Fest and HITP. Or just go during HITP.

Just don't go on a really nice day in the summer. Don't go on a BAFF day. Or go in the summer but get there first thing and run right to the ride.

I hear a lot of people saying "this park gets insane crowds" and I know it does at times... but as a local that frequents this park fairly often I honestly can't remember the last time I went to this park and it was absolutely mobbed. Now, I know some people travel and can't change when they visit as easily as someone close by like me, but that's just a risk you have to take. It works both ways - I have to worry about this stuff when visiting other parks. Budget for fast pass and get there bright and early and make a f*cking effort. LOL

Edited by boldikus