TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Can any Six Flags park go to the announcement date without anything leaked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not always Six Flags fault. We have the footage too, it was sent to a NUMBER of outlets under embargo (which means you wait to post it until they tell you). It's nice because we can get everything ready this way and not have to freak out tomorrow morning doing a ton of work. But then a few idiots ruin it for everyone when they post early!

I hope Six Flags takes action against the people that post early!

A bit of a general question with announcements, what all do the parks send you with new rides, besides photos and animations?

A bit of a general question with announcements, what all do the parks send you with new rides, besides photos and animations?

Usually a dozen strippers and a bottle of hard tequila.

Seriously, it's just a press release, photos, and animation usually...

Usually a dozen strippers and a bottle of hard tequila.

Seriously, it's just a press release, photos, and animation usually...

Now is it a dozen strippers per park, or does SF just send 12 for the whole chain? Asking for a friend...

Dragster SMOKES Kingda Ka in my opinion. The smoothness of Dragster combined with the lapbars makes it like 30x better. The ONLY thing Ka has is the initial take off feels a bit stronger on Ka than on Dragster, in my opinion.

lol, i rode dragster and ka from the front row 5 times each in the same week.. the difference in experience is so negligible to me. the theming, viewing area, and location in the park are considerably better on dragster. but as far as the actual ride experience? the launch, etc..? the launch on kk was better, there's no difference in "roughness" from the front row.. however the further you go back on kk the difference becomes very noticeable.. but you shouldn't be riding either from anywhere other than first row. and the infamous restraints... maybe if you're a really big person it could make a difference, but the OTSRs on KK don't ever touch my body and i'm 6' tall. so there was no difference there for me, i did not feel more restricted whatsoever.

the differences between these rides has been severely exaggerated, and i'd say claiming TTD is 30x better than KK is the most hyperbolic exaggeration i've yet to come across.

Now is it a dozen strippers per park, or does SF just send 12 for the whole chain? Asking for a friend...

Probably cloned strippers. All dressed like Harley Quinn.

I prefer Dragster over Ka. I felt like the launch on Ka was hesitant and not smooth. Felt like we were going to roll back for sure. Also, the aforementioned lap bars, theming, atmosphere of being in the center of the park

Dragster SMOKES Kingda Ka in my opinion. The smoothness of Dragster combined with the lapbars makes it like 30x better. The ONLY thing Ka has is the initial take off feels a bit stronger on Ka than on Dragster, in my opinion.

lol, i rode dragster and ka from the front row 5 times each in the same week.. the difference in experience is so negligible to me. the theming, viewing area, and location in the park are considerably better on dragster. but as far as the actual ride experience? the launch, etc..? the launch on kk was better, there's no difference in "roughness" from the front row.. however the further you go back on kk the difference becomes very noticeable.. but you shouldn't be riding either from anywhere other than first row. and the infamous restraints... maybe if you're a really big person it could make a difference, but the OTSRs on KK don't ever touch my body and i'm 6' tall. so there was no difference there for me, i did not feel more restricted whatsoever.

the differences between these rides has been severely exaggerated, and i'd say claiming TTD is 30x better than KK is the most hyperbolic exaggeration i've yet to come across.

I'm on Ka almost weekly and got to ride Dragster in July. Dragster was about as smooth as Nitro the whole ride, where as Ka is smooth during the slow parts. Ka has a vibration and shuffle in the front, not as bad as the back, but it's still there especially at the end of the launch track. Ka's trim kills any airtime you'd get, then the shuffling and almost "bounce" going into the 270 degree spiral which leads into a pot hole right before the pull up that feels pretty big.

Ka's launch is 0-128 in 3.5 seconds and Dragster's is 0-120 in 4 seconds. It's not much different after the initial take off, but I def get more a kick in the back from Ka than I did from Dragster.

Again, this is all subjective and can vary from person to person. It's just how I feel about the two. I still enjoy Kingda Ka quite a bit, but it could be way better.

Top Thrill Dragster is great. I do feel like the lapbars make it a little more pleasant, especially since a lot of the appeal is looking around for a second from absurdly high up.

Kingda Ka is great too. It's one of the best rides at Great Adventure, and the view from the top, while not the stunning beauty of Lake Erie, is pretty impressive all the same.

If it is indeed an RMC:

90% - Single Rail clone

10% - Unique Ground up construction

Seems about the likelihood, no?

I saw an interview with Alan Schilke where he stated RMC wanted to sell more raptor clones, but parks were requesting bigger models. And he said in fact the next one would not be a clone. So we'll see I guess..

This means nothing to SFGAdv unless you can prove which one is the next one. The next one might already be sold or planned.

I started going back to the park from a 9 year hiatus back in 2015 from 2007 but I heard they got backlash for teasing the hell out of El Diablo and it just being a Larson Loop. If that's true, I'm not sure they'd want to take that risk again, but who knows.

That's only part of it, they had the nerve to tell the masses it was a roller coaster also.

Edited by larrygator

If it is indeed an RMC:

90% - Single Rail clone

I saw an interview with Alan Schilke where he stated RMC wanted to sell more raptor clones, but parks were requesting bigger models. And he said in fact the next one would not be a clone. So we'll see I guess..

This means nothing to SFGAdv unless you can prove which one is the next one. The next one might already be sold or planned.

I mean, why speculate at all then? If we cant use random tid bits here and there to come up with a hypothesis.

Wow! So much has happened since I woke up 8 hours ago! After the official announcement, I'm looking forward to discussing this "monstrous" and "legendary" addition that is coming to GAdv much more!

As for the TTD vs. KK debate, I've ridden TTD a ton including right after it opened and it still had all the theming on the trains, and I've ridden KK about 4 times, all in the front row. KK is a little better than TTD in my opinion, and my dad and sister, who were my fellow riders on my rides felt the same as well! Now, I understand that anywhere else on KK is rougher, and not anywhere near as good, so I'm speaking only of front seat rides here. However, the effect of the OTS was completely unnoticeable to me, and the speed, and height both felt more powerful, not to mention the nice hill after the drop. And don't even get me started on the light-years better color scheme of KK! While I do enjoy TTD (on the random occasions these days when its actually running when I am there), it's not in my Top 5 at CP, and not in my Top 50 overall. Even KK doesn't crack my Top 40. So I guess you could say I'm just not as big of a fan of that type of coaster as many are. They're great coasters, both of them, and honestly, they're not that different (at least considering KK in the front.) But if I could choose to have only one in my back yard, it would definitely be KK!

Let me just say that GAdv really knocked it out of the park in regard to their teaser campaign this year! Unlike some other other prominent teaser campaigns I've seen, they stayed on point, interacted in an intellectually honest manner with all the different kinds of people reading the teasers, and kept things fun, and everybody guessing! I'm sure the locals and regulars will be ecstatic over whatever's coming their way, and even though there will likely be some enthusiasts complaining afterward about one thing or the other, I think most will be pretty excited as well. This has honestly been my most anticipated announcement this year, since the other three prominent ones all leaked WAY in advance, leaving little to find out. Props to SFGAdv for managing to keep things secret so long as well!

And I'll just go on record as saying I have no interest in seeing Boldy eat his foot, so let's give him a reprieve on that statement, and maybe he can just buy those of us who were believers a beer (do they even have craft beer at GAdv though?) if he ever meets up with us at the park!

And I'll just go on record as saying I have no interest in seeing Boldy eat his foot, so let's give him a reprieve on that statement, and maybe he can just buy those of us who were believers a beer (do they even have craft beer at GAdv though?) if he ever meets up with us at the park!

Pfft, says you. Eat that foot! Eat that foot! Eat that foot!

If it is indeed an RMC:

90% - Single Rail clone

I mean, why speculate at all then? If we cant use random tid bits here and there to come up with a hypothesis.

The following is speculation: SFGAdv is one of the premier SF parks. The have not receive a custom coaster installation in years so I think the coaster will be custom. Also, a Wonder Woman/Railblazer clone is probably to low in capacity for SFGAdv.

I'm not saying it is not OK to speculate, if you knew SFGAdv was the "next" RMC that would be speculation, I'm just pointing out that only Alan Schilke (and those working with him) knows what is next since the time he made the comment.

Yes, SFGAdv has craft beer, but if Boldy eats his foot he gets ADA benefits to cut every line.

Edited by larrygator

Jersey Devil Coaster Will Shatter Three World Records in 2020 at Six Flags Great Adventure

JACKSON, N.J. ─ August 29, 2019 ─ On the edge of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, today announced that a menacing coaster of legendary proportions—the tallest, fastest and longest single rail coaster—Jersey Devil Coaster, will make its world debut in 2020. Towering 13 stories, at speeds up to 58 mph, riders will soar single file through the dark and foreboding woods over 3,000 feet of track. Inspired by infamous New Jersey mythology, the cutting-edge coaster will feature five intense elements including two dramatic inversions.

Legend says the Jersey Devil has haunted the Pine Barrens for centuries, soaring stealthily through the woods in the dark of night before attacking its prey. Modern-day folklore even places this beast near the theme park’s Great Lake, with its menacing, curled horns manifesting under a full moon.

“Six Flags Great Adventure is home to the best and most innovative roller coasters on the planet, and we are thrilled to expand our unrivaled collection with the Jersey Devil Coaster,” said Park President John Winkler. “Jersey Devil folklore has been a source of fear and intrigue here in the Pine Barrens for more than 200 years, and this iconic piece of New Jersey history inspired the design for this monstrous scream machine.”

Key features of the Jersey Devil Coaster include:

· Four sleek trains of 12 passengers each sitting low and inline style (one rider per row) with their legs straddling either side of the monorail track;

· 3,000 feet of soaring, single-rail, I-beam track;

· Tension-building ascent up a towering, 130-foot lift hill;

· Flying at speeds up to 58 mph;

· Three intense elements including a steep 87-degree first drop, raven dive and overbank cutback; and

· Two dramatic inversions including a 180-degree stall and zero-gravity roll.

Riders must meet the 48-inch height requirement. Jersey Devil Coaster will debut in the summer of 2020. It will be located along the lakefront near Safari Kids and Congo Rapids.

For more information about Jersey Devil Coaster and next season at Six Flags Great Adventure, visit http://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/attractions/newfor2020

Edited by robbalvey

Ten thoughts:

1 Love the name and theme. I've seen more than once person post that they don't like the name because it remind them of the hockey team. The Jersey Devil is local folklore that goes back over a century, as a Philadelphian who has always spent summers at the Jersey shore (and traversed the Jersey Pine Barrens to get there and back) I've been hearing about that little creep in the woods my entire life. Everyone around here is digging the theme, its a long time coming for this park. Here's to hoping there at least some story boards in the queue about the creature/legend.

2 Three birds with one stone. Shuts up the "we need an RMC" whiners, the "we haven't had an original coaster since Toro" whiners, and the "we only get DC themed rides" whiners.

3 The park teased it would be "legendary and monstrous" and the Jersey Devil is both of those things.

4 RIP best bathroom in the park. Even if they keep it (and from the rendering looks like they will), its gonna be mobbed for the foreseeable future. Meh. If there is one negative thing about this addition, that's it.

5 This thing is big. Looks like this goes from almost Skull Mountain all the way down past the rapids. In other words, its huge. I'm wondering how much (or if all) if Safari Kids is going? Or moving?

6 Capacity. The dirty C word. Twelve passenger trains, hopefully continuously-moving loading, and it looks like we have a midcourse. If WWGLC has no midcourse and can run 3 trains, we get 4 trains then?

7 Its safe to assume this will run during HITP. Let me hear the people in the back say hell yeah.

8 This thing looks absolutely sick. I love how the final bunnyhops look like they have a little outerbank to them.

9 Night rides back here, yall. Night rides! Hopefully they'll keep some of the trees around the ride.

10 We're totally getting a new kids area in 2021.

I knew SFGAdv would be getting a coaster soon, and really felt 2020 was the year, and they sure did get one! It's even better than what I was thinking it would likely be (WCR clone or S&S like Maxx Force), and instantly becomes one of the best new coasters coming in 2020 in my opinion! This will absolutely get me out to NJ with my kids next year to "visit my relatives" that live nearby, and I can't wait to finally get on my first Raptor!

If there's anything that's surprising about this to me, it's that SF isn't marketing that Raven Dive as an inversion, as it certainly appears to invert to me. Regardless though, all these elements are amazing looking, and yes, from the POV on the site it's clear that a couple of those airtime hills on the way back to the station at the end are off axis, first one way, then the other, before a standard airtime hill, and then pop onto the brake run. This whole thing is going to be so amazing!

I'm glad that Congo Rapids is staying, even though it's not something I'll probably ever go on. It's a classic and historic part of the park, and the more rides and attractions they can keep, the better! It also appears, according to the announcement post Robb made, that Safari Kids is staying. So that pretty much gives us our footprint for the coaster. And as Boldikus mentioned, night rides are going to be fantastic on this thing! Such a perfect location, and theme, for this particular coaster, and an absolute home run of an addition for GAdv!

I wonder whether the "Summer" opening for this means SF's typical Memorial Day opening, or if it's implying it may be a little later in the year than normal? I'm going to be making a bit of a coaster trip with my kids in the weeks following Memorial Day, so I'm curious as to whether this might be open by then. I definitely want to try and get on it before kids are out of school during the week, if possible, because this is absolutely going to draw massive lines, regardless of the capacity!

I mentioned it before, but I'll just close by mentioning it again: What an excellent, and fun teasing campaign by GAdv this was! Kudos to them and their marketing department for this fantastic lead-up, and reveal! Even though it leaked a little early, they still did a great job of keeping it under wraps, especially in comparison to Candymonium, Pantheon, and Orion, three of the other top 2020 coasters announced. I know it's popular to give SF crap in enthusiast circles, but I think once again they did a great job with all of their additions this year, led by this crown jewel of a coaster!