TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Yeah I saw gold pass was 90, day ticket is 56 plus I'm assuming 25 for parking, won't split hairs over 10 bucks (assuming processing won't take more than 5 minutes... That's an issue).

Any thoughts on crowds? Don't want to get there just to have the entire state of NJ having school day at the park. No events are showing on their website

Ah jeez yes you are right. Their calendar on the website starting on a Monday threw me way off. I just saw them open on the middle day and assumed it was Wednesday. Dammit.

Thanks for the help anyway. I'd try to rearrange my schedule to go Thursday but I fly home that night. I feel like a moron.

Hershey is still in play I guess but no Skyrush is an absolute bummer.

The other option would be Dorney but I have basically the same park in my back yard. Not sure it's worth it especially since I don't have a CF pass.

Also haven't checked their hours yet either.

Hershey is closed Wednesday too and so is Dorney. Knoebels is open but they close at 6.

I’m not sure when you fly home but if you pick up a car Wednesday night and drop it at the airport after going to Great Adventure on Thursday you only need to pay for one day. I’d say that’s the move. DO NOT try to Uber from Great Adventure when you have a plane to catch. It’s risky enough under normal circumstances.

What day does Wonder Woman actually open to the general public? I have a membership but my friend doesn't. I really want to ride but I don't want to be rude and ditch him. Can anyone also give me an idea of what type of crowds I can expect at the park? We're going Saturday.

I have no idea if that ride is supposed to open this weekend. It was supposed to open last weekend, but it got pushed back to this weekend and now those event details have once again changed to not include ERT on the ride but on Batman and Dark Knight instead. So something is up. Rumor among locals/regulars is the ride isn't opening at all this weekend due to inspection delays or possibly even an issue with the ride itself. But that's all hearsay. Though you can see for yourself the website does not say anything about the ride actually opening.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/special-events/celebration/wonder-woman%E2%84%A2-member-appreciation-event

There is also a Comic Con event happening Saturday and Sunday.

As far as crowds? Its a holiday weekend and as of right now the weather for Saturday looks great, while Sunday and Monday look like a greater chance of potential showers. My prediction? If this forecast doesn't change? Its going to be absolutely mobbed on Saturday. Budget for fast pass.

Personally, I'd go for gold, but its gonna depend on the crowd. Keep an eye on the weather. If its nice, you can be assured it will be busy. Gold gets the job done as long as you reserve your next ride as soon as the scan you into the current ride you're about to board.

Also, I have to hand it to the park for not waiting until like Saturday morning to announce the ride wouldn't be opening. Its actually out of character for them to give a heads-up this far in advance.

The park is still working towards testing and inspection approval. Obviously they aren’t loving the delay but I’m sure it will be done soon. We’ll get to ride this awesome new flat in the very near future! BTW boldikus so agree with your comment about the parks early honesty.

If it's Fright Fest they would open the park in a hurricane. If the park is dead they will close for a light drizzle.

The park closed early (4 pm, I think) on the last day of Fright Fest in 2012. It was the day before Hurricane Sandy hit and was rainy and miserable. A friend who was there said attendance was low.

^ They also closed early for HITP in 2016 due to low attendance and freezing conditions, and because of that, half the rides they said were open on the website for HITP were closed. PLUS, they ended the season early due to cold weather and delayed their 2017 season for the same reason.

I’ve wanted to experience this park for the past 10 years and yesterday I FINALLY got the chance. This park is awesome! Definitely my second favorite behind Cedar Point. Overall the coaster lineup is solid. A few coasters actually surprised me. I had a tough time picking my top five. Operations were also very impressive.

El Toro - AMAZING! Second to last seat was the best. There’s nothing I could say about this coaster that hasn’t been said.

Superman - The pretzel loop has to be the most intense element of any coaster I’ve ever experienced. I expected this ride to be a let down since it just seemed like a bunch of curves. Boy was I wrong! I was obsessed with this thing. It’s so much better than the Vekoma Flying Dutchman.

Kingda Ka - Once I noticed this ride was down 4 hours I expected it to last the entire day, since I constantly hear how bad Six flags operations are. Nope, the ride opened around 8:30 and we managed to get on in under 30 mins. I loved it! I didn’t notice any roughness. I sat in the third row. The OTSR also didn’t make too much of a difference to me. Although there’s no airtime, I did appreciate the small hill following the massive drop. Dragsters theming is the only thing that makes me prefer it over this ride.

Bizarro - Hands down the best floorless coaster. Glad to see the effects were working. I’ve been looking for a floorless coaster to impress me the way Dominator did back when it was Batman at Six Flags Ohio. So many inversions! This coaster was very well paced.

Green Lantern - I loved the layout and transitions on this ride. Everything flows so well. I experienced very little if any headbanging. This was the perfect stand up coaster. I have no complaints at all about this ride.

Joker - Pure fun! Very comfortable, very smooth, leagues better than Green Lantern at Magic Mountain. I wish it would have had one more level of track. Would love to see Cedar Point take a coaster like this to new heights and make it even more intense.

Batman - The compact layout mixed with a bunch of twists, turns, and inversions really works for this ride. Although it is a clone, I enjoyed this one better than SFOT.

Nitro - Very underwhelming, this was a surprise. I’ve always looked forward to trying a B&M hyper because I love how open the seats appeared. The ride felt entirely too controlled. I have Phantom’s revenge at my home park. Magnum is also next door. So I’m used to the out of control, “HOLY CRAP” experience on hypers. I may have set my expectations too high. Never thought I’d put a stand up coaster over a hyper.

Dark knight - Horrible! I actually enjoy wild mouse coasters but this coaster has practically no drops. One of the things I love about the wild mouse, are the sudden drops that appear out of nowhere. With this ride being indoors, they had every opportunity to take advantage of that and they didn’t.

I agree with most of the others that this park just needs a giga or multi-launch and it would feel complete. Just one more large scale coaster. I’d give this park an 8 out of 10. Loved it!!

^ Your opinion on B&M Hypers is shared by many of us. If you ever get a chance to visit Carowinds the ability to compare Intrimidator and Fury side by side is pretty eye-opening. For some reason the hyper-class rides are just clamped down hard, always (w/ exceptions of Diamondback and Goliath).

^^If you didn't ride Skull Mountain in the back row you never even went to Great Adventure. Also, Zumanjaro? Mine Train?

^ Your opinion on B&M Hypers is shared by many of us.

Speak for yourself. Many of us think B&M hypers are super fun and awesome. In fact, you've just about guaranteed this thread is gonna turn into a B&M hyper love fest now that you've said this.

B&M hypers really do it for me. Diamondback is king in my book and I even like Intimidator. The only one I could never really get behind was Apollo, BUT we usually have Quick Queue that makes you sit in the middle.

That said, did you ride Nitro in the front and/or the back seat? I haven't ridden Nitro yet, but that makes a drastic difference on B&M hypers. Front seats give you a superior feeling of freedom and the back seats are where you can usually feel the most forces.

Glad you enjoyed the park. I'm looking forward to my first visit in 20 years this summer.

^^If you didn't ride Skull Mountain in the back row you never even went to Great Adventure.

Noted.

Nitro - Very underwhelming, this was a surprise. I’ve always looked forward to trying a B&M hyper because I love how open the seats appeared. The ride felt entirely too controlled. I have Phantom’s revenge at my home park. Magnum is also next door. So I’m used to the out of control, “HOLY CRAP” experience on hypers. I may have set my expectations too high. Never thought I’d put a stand up coaster over a hyper.

Fair enough. But its for that reason why, if going by how well rides complement each other, Nitro paired with El Toro to me is like the best one-two punch ever. Their the ultimate yin and yang if you will. I feel this will be similiar to how I view Skyrush and Candymonium come next year.

But anyways, glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for sharing! I need to get back to this place some time...

P.S. (I never thought I'd see someone put Green Lantern over Nitro either )

Gambled with the holiday weekend and good weather yesterday and headed up from MD to take advantage of our Flash Sale with free upgrade to gold season pass with dining pass with free upgrade to deluxe with unlimited soft drinks cup and free regular parking at any park status. (Not as flashy as DIAMOND LEVEL ELITE MEMBERSHIP)

Zero traffic. Arrived earlyish through security and in the "season pass" line at 1015. Our last trip was for HITP and the youngest had finally hit the magic height, so she got rides on Nitro but no KIngda and the line for Metropolis was too long. We headed to Metropolis and there was a comic book thing going on with cosplay people and vendors which was cool. Two quick rides on that and walk on to cyborg and then to Kingda Ka. Adding Woman Woman to that section creates a whole "land".

Fluffy fluffy and about a 15 minute wait. Couple of people walking through Flash Pass without bracelets in front of us at the hold point? Kicking myself for not buying the on-ride picture of the soon to be 11 year-old. Zumanjaro and back to KIngda Ka but it was down didn't see it running again. Pork roll sandwich for me, chicken strips and a burger for them. Food runner brought us an extra meal but didn't have enough English to understand us trying to tell her.

I hadn't been on the safari in over 20 years and the oldest had never been since we usually just hit coasters. Hour wait but a good ride. It is good as the northeast's answer to the animal kingdom ride in Disney. Bizarro, which the big kid likes. Then to Toro.

I still want to love Toro, but don't. Fluffy Fluffy bunnies can't have a bag with cups but cups are OK, defended the fluffy bunnies to a GP in line for the medicine and goo while securing three cups one phone and two keys. About a 35 minute wait there. The coaster is great in overall design but the lap bar clamps into me right under my ribcage and hurts, the oldest has it grab at the hips and we both bruise. I might be done with it, I'm not getting taller.

Ice cream fixes everything but then the crowds became evident, we had enough time to our snack during the brief skyway wait. The Skyway speed is like the bumper car speed at Knoebels. Explained again Skull Island is no more to the little one. (But it looks so cool how can it not be a ride?) Fluffy Fluffy onto Nitro. Angry people in line over the wait. 15 minutes later we were off on one of my favorite coasters, just flying. Ignore all of the bottles and bags and cell phones not in fluffy fluffy fluffy.

Food service did us in, Johnny Rockets had a roulette window thing going on with many angry people. I've come to the conclusion that, thank god, they don't let the food service staff run the rides.

Zero traffic coming back and showering up by 9. Full day with some good rides and a lot of choice.