TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Holy crap everything at this park is spread out as far as it possibly can be from everything else. I don't exactly know why the park is laid out this way, but getting from one thing to another felt like it was a lot more inconvenient than it needed to be, even with rides that look like they're right next to each other on the map.

I've always thought it was because of the park constantly changing hands in it's early days. The original ownership focused on the western side with the Boardwalk/Frontier Adventures, then the Time Warner ownership focused on the East with Movietown, then Premier kinda went overboard throwing rides wherever there was grass, after that Shapiro ripped them all out, and now the park is an amalgamation of 5 different visions for what it should've been.

I know the answer why is 'Six Flags', but it's really kind of depressing to see a ride that was designed with 4 stations and at least 4 trains (for some reason I was thinking 6, but I'm not sure) operate w/ one station & 2 trains. I get the staffing/cost thing & that they can't keep throughput high enough to really need the 2nd side, but I feel like they could at least run w/ 3 trains and use the rear station as an unload platform. That way, they'd always be unloading one train, loading another, and sending a third around the track.

This park can barely staff all the food locations at the park, I can't imagine them wasting another team of operators to slightly reduce load times. Also, I've heard around here that the single station is written into the ride's operating program so using the double station would require them to change how the systems work.

So I know it's been gone for a while now, but what was the reason Six Flags got rid of Rolling Thunder? And why did they not demolish the part that's under El Toro?

Rolling Thunder was left to rot to the point that it would need major structure work on top of retracking. It was so bad RMC basically said they'd have tor replace most of the structure to convert it. The bottom of the first drop was left there so it's trains could be placed on the track as a memorial to it, but that never happened so now it looks like something out of Six Flags New Orleans.

There's so much land to work with behind El Toro it's not even funny. They could easily add another 1-2 entire lands to the park, including flats and coasters, without bulldozing anything other than a bit of Zumanjaro's queue. Althought, that path would be the only way to reach that area and would add yet another long dead end.

There's so much land to work with behind El Toro it's not even funny. They could easily add another 1-2 entire lands to the park, including flats and coasters, without bulldozing anything other than a bit of Zumanjaro's queue. Althought, that path would be the only way to reach that area and would add yet another long dead end.

I feel like they could definitely wrap it around somehow and attach it to Bizarro's dead end and then wooo, a big loop something like this, even including the path from Plaza Del Carnival into Zumanjaro's area and then loop it around to Bizarro.

pn4qcwm.jpg

Where would they run it? The only spot it'd fit without going over El Toro is in the old Rolling Thunder spot, or over the river. The Rolling Thunder spot would cut off the service road that loops around that area, and the river spot would piss off the environmentalist that jump at every move the park makes.

Edit: The extra skyride, I mean.

but I feel like they could at least run w/ 3 trains and use the rear station as an unload platform. That way, they'd always be unloading one train, loading another, and sending a third around the track.

They do run three trains FYI. Depending on the cycle either two in the station and one on the track or two on the track and one in the station. (In fact when I was there last they had two waiting to launch.

With how it is setup with Zumanjaro, you cap out at three trains as seen above. (Though rumor has it this will be change.) That is the true capacity issue along with slow ops. The day I was there the three train ops with fastness was probably just as good as four.

I know the answer why is 'Six Flags', but it's really kind of depressing to see a ride that was designed with 4 stations and at least 4 trains (for some reason I was thinking 6, but I'm not sure) operate w/ one station & 2 trains. I get the staffing/cost thing & that they can't keep throughput high enough to really need the 2nd side, but I feel like they could at least run w/ 3 trains and use the rear station as an unload platform. That way, they'd always be unloading one train, loading another, and sending a third around the track.

I honestly think its because they don't need to use the 4 stations anymore. I haven't seen the line get much longer then about 1.5 hours but then again I only get up there about 1-2 times a year. When it first opened and the line was 3+ hours long they did use all four. Its the same thing with Batwing at SFA. It has two stations but both are barely used anymore. The line just doesn't get long enough to justify hiring the extra staff.

Robb doesn't like this kind of thing being posted before the official announcements have been made. I believe he's stated that numerous times.

First of all, this isn't an "announcement" of any kind.

Secondly, why don't you let us moderate the forum? That's not your job. Thanks.

Edited by robbalvey

Yes, GAdv needs flats, 2 thrilling flats back to back years.

I think GAdv is past "needing" flats at this point. We have more than some of SF's most well-rounded parks, such as SFGAm, SFOT and SFFT. We got a dozen more than SFMM. We got more than major CF parks like KI, and about the same amount as Carowinds.

SF has done an awesome job the last few years of filling GAdv with much-needed non-coaster attractions. 2012 we got a flat package, 2013 SORA, 2014 Zumanjaro, 2015 El Diablo, 2017 Justice League and 2018 Cyborg. This is why I'd really like to see a coaster in the next year or 2. Considering the coaster removals and their replacements in the last 11 years, I really feel like our collection is worse now than it was in 2007.

With that said, a Giant Discovery will look awesome in Freefall's spot and finally complete what was a dead area for so many years.

A Zamperla Giant Discovery definitely is on my list of "things I really want at SFGAdv." So if this leak is accurate that is really exciting. Now since I am relocating to Houston, from Virginia next year I will be hoping one goes up at SFFT as well. Granted SFOT already has one.

Good addition, if thats what it is.

It would be in the part of the park thats open until January right?

It is sort of funny that great adventure keeps getting magic mountain rides 1-2 years later.

Maybe we get the Yolocoaster next year, but with the missing half added

It is sort of funny that great adventure keeps getting magic mountain rides 1-2 years later.

Maybe we get the Yolocoaster next year, but with the missing half added

Your timelines are about 5 years off-kilter.