TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Holy crap, you went halfway across the country to Great Adventure and you didn't bother to find out about their locker policy or which seats to sit in? Please tell me you at least rode Ka in the front.

Great Adventure's locker policy is way better than Cedar Point's, where they charge per ride or if you want all day ones, they're way in the front of the park. Great Adventure gives you floating lockers for $6, so you can always have your stuff nearby while you ride. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring a wallet in a zipped pocket, but that's how they roll, so just budget your $6 and stow your stuff. Not hard.

As for Lightning Rod, it's Topper Track, and El Toro is straight up wood. Not going to be the same, and you shoudn't expect it to. Research and proper expectations are essential to good travelling, especially if you're going hundreds of miles from home to a place you're only going once or at most once every few years.

I have no issues with their locker policy but I'm so tired of hearing people bitching about it when it's the easiest thing to avoid if you want to avoid it. I bring in just my season pass, credit card, id and just my car key and phone and leave it in a zippered pocket. Haven't had one person question me on it because it doesn't look obvious and I don't take my phone out in line cause I can survive without it & actually have a conversation with the people I'm with.

I get people like comparing and what not but El Toro and Lighting Rod are just such different rides to me plus El Toro is almost 12 years old now, of course it's not going to be as smooth as a ride that's not even been up for 2 years. I enjoyed the hell out of Lightning Rod and I feel very lucky to have El Toro in my home park, it's an absolutely amazing ride that never fails to be a fun, wild ride.

As for Lightning Rod, it's Topper Track, and El Toro is straight up wood. Not going to be the same, and you shoudn't expect it to. Research and proper expectations are essential to good travelling, especially if you're going hundreds of miles from home to a place you're only going once or at most once every few years.

Not to mention Toro turns 12 this year, Lightning Rod is barely 2 and hardly ever runs anyway, of course its going to be smoother.

I can't speak for how it is riding this year, but last year there were definitely a few "potholes" when riding in the last row of each car. Most notably during the turnaround, the small hill that goes through the structure of the camelbacks, and the twister section. However, the middle rows of each car were still very smooth. And the rough spots didn't kill the experience, but definitely jarring when not expecting them.

I remember a "pot hole" at the base of the turnaround 2 years ago, but you could only feel it in the very back row. In any other row, I couldn't feel it. Even with that "pot hole", the ride was still smoother than 95% of coasters out there and not enough to deter me from reriding.

Last year, I remember that spot being smoothed out.

Whenever people claim El Toro is rough I just have to wonder if they've actually have ridden a rough ride. It may not be GLASS smooth like it was in 06' but it's not DRASTICALLY different. It has some wear & tear here and there around certain sections but other than that, it's DAMN smooth for a 12 year old WOODEN coaster.

On Sunday the park was dead. Everything (that was open... I'll get to that later...) was a walk on.

I didn't think the park was dead Sunday. It was more crowded than I expected it to be. The first sign of that were the lines waiting to get in.

All that's missing is the graffiti and hookers... Then again, all the advertisements are basically graffiti, and some of the girls waiting in line were dressed in outfits that hookers in the 90's wore, so maybe it was deja vu...

I wonder if you're talking about that group of girls walking around in what I hope wasn't their Sunday best.

I sat in the 3rd row.

Amateur...

Batman is the one with the queue made of tin foil right?

You'll have to be more specific, you just described half of the queue lines in the park.

The one with the freaking batmobile in front of it...

Holy crap, you went halfway across the country to Great Adventure and you didn't bother to find out about their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy or which seats to sit in? Please tell me you at least rode Ka in the front.

I did ride in the front and I knew about the policy. I didn't expect them to be watching like vultures though and patting everyone down.

Great Adventure's fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy is way better than Cedar Point's, where they charge per ride or if you want all day ones, they're way in the front of the park. Great Adventure gives you floating fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $6, so you can always have your stuff nearby while you ride. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring a wallet in a zipped pocket, but that's how they roll, so just budget your $6 and stow your stuff. Not hard.

Maybe it is better, I've never bought one at any park. And I know it's not hard, but I'm not someone that will bend over and grab my ankles if I think something is ridiculous.

As for Lightning Rod, it's Topper Track, and El Toro is straight up wood. Not going to be the same, and you shoudn't expect it to.

I didn't expect them to be the same, but I expected them to be comparable, and IMO they aren't.

Research and proper expectations are essential to good travelling, especially if you're going hundreds of miles from home to a place you're only going once or at most once every few years.

Who's to say what proper expectations are? If a lot of people say El Toro is the best wood coaster on the planet, you're saying it's not "proper" to expect that it could be?

Yup, and El Toro is much, much smoother than Kentucky Rumbler which is the same age as Toro and runs far less. I don't understand roughness complaints on El Toro. Just makes no sense.

I don't know if this is directed at me or not, but I never said it was rough.

Holy crap, you went halfway across the country to Great Adventure and you didn't bother to find out about their fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy or which seats to sit in? Please tell me you at least rode Ka in the front.

I did ride in the front and I knew about the policy. I didn't expect them to be watching like vultures though and patting everyone down.

So you knew they don't allow any loose articles in the line and intentionally brought loose articles in the line, then are upset because they effectively enforced their rule?

Great Adventure's fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo policy is way better than Cedar Point's, where they charge per ride or if you want all day ones, they're way in the front of the park. Great Adventure gives you floating fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $6, so you can always have your stuff nearby while you ride. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to bring a wallet in a zipped pocket, but that's how they roll, so just budget your $6 and stow your stuff. Not hard.

Maybe it is better, I've never bought one at any park. And I know it's not hard, but I'm not someone that will bend over and grab my ankles if I think something is ridiculous.

Whatever, man. I'm one to comply with park rules even if I think they're ridiculous. It's their park, they get to do what they want. I went there, bought the floating fluffy bunny, then when I wrote up my trip report, reamed them for a dumb policy. I still followed it while I was there.

Seems rather arrogant to expect you can just choose not to follow their rules on their rides at their park, and they won't do anything about it. Don't like the rules? Go somewhere else. No one's forcing you to go to Great Adventure.

I hated the locker rule at first but now it's opened my eyes and made me realize how much easier life is. I still will use my zipper pockets on rides that don't require a locker but whenever I go I'll be getting the $8 all day, moveable locker because I'm always with a girl with a bag. It makes it way easier to just drop my phone, wallet and more in the locker and not worrying about if my pockets are zipped or anything flying out.

The only thing I have to worry about is leaving my wallet in the locker like I did twice last year. Once I got it back the same day in 2 hours and the other time it took them 2 weeks to find it and for me to get it

Kingda Ka's new startup temperature is 34 degrees. Tell your friends.

Hopefully it blasted some snow off of the tracks on it's first test run.

I love that Great Adventure does not give a f**k and will run rides like this!

Went to the park yesterday. The weather was on and off rain the entire day with overcast. It seemed to me Six Flags wanted no part of this day since it seemed to me they were still understaffed and a lot of the rides were closed. We got two spins each on Joker, Nitro and Bizarro (which was running amazing) as well as a ride on Batman (Best ride Ive ever had on it). El Toro was closed but it was still a fun day. Its good to be back.

Was at the park yesterday with JCoaster, and like he said, it seemed like the park just wasn't ready. I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt because it's early, but when the arcades are closed on a rainy day, it's obvious they don't have enough staff.

Besides that, my only other quibble is that El Toro was unfortunately closed. Thankfully, this was only a quick trip to get the beak wet. Here's to a great 2018.

Hey guys, can anyone give me a heads up of what the local weather forecasts look like for Saturday? Coming down from Boston (so I know how fickle this early spring storms are) with a bunch of friends for my bachelor party and wanted to spend the day at the park. The weather has looked pretty grim this week and I was hoping for a change and from all I can tell its gotten worse. Thinking about just driving straight to the park Friday and trying to get at least a half day out of it. But with my luck I'll do that and it will fizzle and be nothing.

No El Toro? Damn that's a bummer. Any word on what's up with it?

I heard from the Dip-N-Dots guy that the coaster was too intense and ripping itself apart, and that they have closed it for re-tracking.