TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I plan on making a trip up there Easter Sunday.

In the past, does it usually get crowded on Easter? If it's not too terribly crowded, I'm not going to waste my $ on Flash Pass.

I will be there on Easter as well and I read on TripAdvisor that on someone's Easter trip the park was dead.

Well that is your hesitation?

They are cheap as sh*t, especially if you consider its basically a pass to face the intensity and ride the best coaster on the planet whenever you want (as well as El Toro, 5 B&Ms, Kingda Ka, a safari, Justice League, etc etc etc).

Should I spend the money and a membership for the park? I'm really on the fence about it.

Depends how often you're going. If you're going more than 2x a year, absolutely. Especially with the park being almost open all year round now its well worth it to me.

Should I spend the money and a membership for the park? I'm really on the fence about it.

Yes. Go during the regular season and go back for Holiday in the Park because it's the sh*t.

I've never been to their holiday in the park, so maybe that will be the selling point.

Yes. Go during the regular season and go back for Holiday in the Park because it's the sh*t.

I've never been to their holiday in the park, so maybe that will be the selling point.

Dude.... Nitro and Batman on 20 degree winter nights. There's nothing better. We probably go more during Holiday in the Park than the rest of the year combined

That said, we did make it out to opening day today and we had a great time. The threat of rain kept crowds away and while rain did occasionally interrupt our day (though the rides all kept running with the exception of Ka), lines were nonexistent the rest of the time. We had a blast.

29597331_10214618583292645_6647296110146267381_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a11da8c189858936a42261111bfe58f3&oe=5B67DEAA

Happy Opening Day!

I won't write a long trip report since it's our home park but a few things of note...

- While some smaller rides aren't quite ready for the season, all major rides are up and running including all of the coasters except for El Diablo. El Diablo's train wasn't even in the station... I assume it's in the transfer shed.

29570309_10214618492770382_6587019654265867104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=413455494d2a5967f668d51ac2a6bbe8&oe=5B2C3519

- The Log Flume's final drop has been removed so it looks like another offseason of major log flume renovations. I applaud them for the insane amount of work they've done on that thing.

29570890_10214618534891435_943300336425733468_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=98a2abe06bf4cfd680d593a7c6b133ab&oe=5B754EFD

Is this park trying to give me a heart attack? It's all good though. Just maintenance... lol

- Lines were nonexistant on every ride. Even Safari Off Road Adventure was a walk on despite the fact that they couldn't have been running more than 5 or 6 trucks. We did end up waiting an hour for Kingda Ka but that's because it was running one train with 30 minute dispatches since they had to call maintenance after every single cycle to cycle the brakes, launch a train empty, inevitably have it roll back, cycle the brakes again, launch a train that cleared the tower, send a full train and then have the ride go down again. Whatever... we rode it in the front. I'm happy.

For whatever reason I woke up this morning more excited to ride that dumb thing than anything else in the park. I can't help myself, I love the sh*t out of Kingda Ka.

- The coasters are all running great. El Toro is flying and running really smooth and Nitro was awesome as always (and it had all 3 trains running which was sort of weird). Batman was killing it today. I assume it still has it's fast wheels on. OMFG that thing...

- Brit sucks at Justice League Battle for Metropolis. She cheated when she scored over 100k. Don't believe her lies.

We left a little early since it was raining pretty steadily near the end of the night but we got a ton of rides in.

Final ride count:

Kingda Ka x1

El Toro x1

Safari x1

Bizarro x1

Skyway x1

Nitro x2

Batman x1

Justice League x2

Joker x1 (just me... Brit's terrified of this thing, lol)

Sounds like a great day to me! Fireball, the loop coaster in St. Louis, also had its train in the transfer shed last weekend. I can only assume that the Loop Coaster Union is striking until a member of Six Flags Management gives them a raise for the undue hardship of enthusiasts not recognizing their coasterness.

I'm impressed at their dedication to Kingda Ka and the log flume. Six Flags is doing way better at stuff like this than they used to. In years past they would have said "f*ck it, Ka's closed." Now they're actually trying, all across the chain, to keep their rides in good condition. I said the opposite 10 years ago, but they've turned it around. It's like Six Flags gives a f*ck. One f*ck, they're not going overboard or anything.

They just told me at Sky Snacks that I can walk around with my beer. No more beer prison!!

Got four straight rerides on Toro earlier too. Really nice day at the park.

I really hope this is true but I also sort of chalk everything up to the fact that you could probably ask 2 different employees and get 2 different answers, especially this early in the year. There are still signs up about beer jail everywhere. They're all over the place right now.

When I was in Nitro's station yesterday morning, I noticed the operator telling people that if they had bags they could just leave them on the exit side of the platform. Last season they were telling people with bags they had to put them in a bunny and go back to the end of the line.

I just got to visit this park for the first time on Saturday (3-31), and Sunday (4-1) and I had an awesome time!

I got there around 1 PM on Saturday and headed straight for El Toro and even though the park seemed to be really busy the El Toro line was just a station wait. So I rode El Toro 2 times. Then hit Bizarro, Kingda Ka, and Nitro. By then it was 5:30 and I wanted to watch the final 4.

On Sunday the park was dead. Everything (that was open... I'll get to that later...) was a walk on. But because some major attractions were not open by 1:30 PM I decided to leave and head to Six Flags America because I hit everything I missed on Saturday and re-rode everything that I wanted a few times.

So, my thought's on the rides and the park overall:

El Toro is an excellent, fantastic, awesome ride but it didn't live up to the tremendous hype. The air time and intensity (which is what I like most about coasters) is there, no doubt about it. But I was also expecting a very smooth ride, and it wasn't. It wasn't rough either, I mean for a wooden coaster it was very smooth, but others have said it is as smooth as a B&M hyper, and that wasn't the case. So I was expecting it to challenge my top 3 (Lightning Rod, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge) and it fell well short of that. El Toro was one of the rides that was closed on Sunday. I'm not sure if and when it opened. Also, the operations was terrible. I timed several trains at over 4 minutes before leaving the station. On my 2 rides one was in the very back, and the other was in the middle. Maybe it's smoother in the front, but I don't know. But based on my experience, El Toro is definitely a ride that is well above average, but not elite.

Bizarro was as I expected. It was a fun, smooth, intense ride with the elements all one after another. The operations on this coaster were fantastic. Most of the trains left the station in about a minute. Rode this 6 times between the 2 days and while I usually prefer the back row on most coasters, I thought this was best in the front. Definitely an above average coaster, and probably better than the only other floorless coaster I've ridden, Rougarou.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kingda Ka. First, what I love is the launch, it's noticeably more intense than Top Thrill Dragsters. What I hate, the freaking restraints! They dug into my shoulders like Arrow loopers... So that makes TTD easily the better ride. Also what I hate is the policy about not letting people keep phones and/or keys in a zipped pocket and how they watch you like vultures. I put my phone, key, and wallet in my 3 zipped pockets on my jacket hoping they wouldn't notice it, and at the final check before the station the guy noticed I had something in a pocket and asked what it was, it was my phone but I told him it was my wallet and he said that was OK and let me go. So you can have a wallet in a zipped pocket but not a phone, or keys... yeah makes sense... The operations were also incredibly slow, but that was to be expected because they can't launch when the drop tower is working.

I did a complete 180 on Nitro. It was the last thing I rode on Saturday and the back row ride was absolutely terrible. It was smooth, but there was no air time, and it was not intense. I wasn't stapled in or anything, so I have no idea why that ride was so bad. So Sunday I rode it in the front and it was great. Then rode in the back again and it was even better. The air time is plentiful, the helix is very forceful, and it was just a very fun ride. It was what I expected. Certainly an above average ride. Better than Diamondback, but not Phantom's Revenge. The operations were pretty slow both days. 3+ minutes to get the trains out on multiple occasions.

This was my first time ever riding a Batman clone, and it was pretty underwhelming. I absolutely love the other 2 invert's I have ridden, Raptor, and Banshee, but Batman certainly is not as good as those. Based on the POVs I expected it to be a lot more intense, and it just wasn't. IMO it's an average coaster at best. Again, operations on this were very slow too.

The Dark Knight was a fun ride. I'm usually not one who really cares for theming, but I love Batman and I enjoyed the story in the queue. As for the ride itself, it's just a wild mouse in the dark with some stuff popping out at you. Not too intense which is why I say it's a below average coaster and I wouldn't wait very long for it.

Skull Mountain is another below average coaster IMO. It's a kiddie coaster in the dark. Didn't really do anything for me.

I'm not really into flying coasters, but had to ride Superman Ultimate Flight as it was the first B&M flying coaster I've ever been on, and while it's better than the flying dutchman, it's not better by much. Operations are a lot quicker though. There was one intense moment, but other than that it's not an intense ride. Average at best.

And finally, Green Lantern. Longest freaking line in the park for the worst ride in the park. It refreshed my memory as to why I hate stand up coasters. I mean, raise your hand if you like getting your nuts smashed against the seat...

I did not get on Zumanjaro. It was closed on Sunday. I'm really pissed about that because I love drop towers, and this looked like it could be the best one out there.

I also did not get on the Joker as it broke down right as I got in line.

I think that's it for the rides, as for some other thoughts about the park as a whole: some parts are just plain ugly. Did Six Flags plunder Chernobyl for the materials to build the Batman and Nitro stations and queues? My gosh, waiting in that Nitro queue brought back memories of walking to school through the alleys of southwest Detroit. All that's missing is the graffiti and hookers... Then again, all the advertisements are basically graffiti, and some of the girls waiting in line were dressed in outfits that hookers in the 90's wore, so maybe it was deja vu...

I already mentioned the very slow operations. Hopefully it's just because it's early in the season.

Anyway, had a great time!

I put my phone, key, and wallet in my 3 zipped pockets on my jacket hoping they wouldn't notice it, and at the final check before the station the guy noticed I had something in a pocket and asked what it was, it was my phone but I told him it was my wallet and he said that was OK and let me go. So you can have a wallet in a zipped pocket but not a phone, or keys... yeah makes sense... The operations were also incredibly slow, but that was to be expected because they can't launch when the drop tower is working.

No, you can't have a wallet per the giant, giant sign at the queue entrance. The guy was doing you a favor. Generally they would send you out of the line to get a locker and you'd have to return to the end of the line. I can't believe you snuck a phone into the line, lied to the ride op, he did you a favor and now you're complaining.

Look... the policy is dumb as sh*t but it's not that dude's fault. Just suck it up and follow the rules, and if you don't and a guy gives you a break because he probably knew you were probably lying but also knew the rule was stupid then certainly don't complain about it.

Personally we just get the locker. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

Glad to hear it, even though your complaints far outweigh anything you enjoyed.

some parts are just plain ugly. Did Six Flags plunder Chernobyl for the materials to build the Batman and Nitro stations and queues?
And finally, Green Lantern.

Definitely a first timer.

El Toro is an excellent, fantastic, awesome ride but it didn't live up to the tremendous hype. The air time and intensity (which is what I like most about coasters) is there, no doubt about it. But I was also expecting a very smooth ride, and it wasn't. It wasn't rough either, I mean for a wooden coaster it was very smooth, but others have said it is as smooth as a B&M hyper, and that wasn't the case. So I was expecting it to challenge my top 3 (Lightning Rod, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge) and it fell well short of that. El Toro was one of the rides that was closed on Sunday. I'm not sure if and when it opened. Also, the operations was terrible. I timed several trains at over 4 minutes before leaving the station. On my 2 rides one was in the very back, and the other was in the middle. Maybe it's smoother in the front, but I don't know. But based on my experience, El Toro is definitely a ride that is well above average, but not elite.

Well, of course El Toro didn't live up to the hype. It's a wood coaster, it doesn't run as smooth as a B&M hyper. That's pure coaster boy hyperbole. You rode it on a chilly weekend in March when the park just opened for the season. It always runs slower on the shoulder season. Even then, Toro is only barely rough only on the turnaround. Did you sit in the magic seat or on wheel seat? Sounds like a wheel seat.

Skull Mountain is another below average coaster IMO. It's a kiddie coaster in the dark. Didn't really do anything for me.

You didn't sit in the back, did you? Have you learned nothing from this board? The Mountain rejects you.

This was my first time ever riding a Batman clone, and it was pretty underwhelming. I absolutely love the other 2 invert's I have ridden, Raptor, and Banshee, but Batman certainly is not as good as those. Based on the POVs I expected it to be a lot more intense, and it just wasn't. IMO it's an average coaster at best.

I don't understand how any of this is possible and I'm pretty sure you think you rode Batman but we're actually just on Harley Quinn or something. #fakenews

Again, operations on this were very slow too.
The operations were pretty slow both days.
I already mentioned the very slow operations. Hopefully it's just because it's early in the season.

Ok so you went to a Six Flags park on opening weekend and expected the operations to be in mid-season form? Let me know where you got that good stuff, bud.

I also never understand when people note how dead a park is and then complain about operations - especially on an opening weekend. If the park is dead, who cares how fast they're getting trains out? Of course operations are bad at any opening weekend at any park - even a park like Cedar Point which is known for its incredible throughput - go in that thread after opening weekend and watch the onslaught of whining go on for the following two weeks. Expecting a Six Flags parks - especially Great Adventure - to be running at full tilt in March is hilarious.

I put my phone, key, and wallet in my 3 zipped pockets on my jacket hoping they wouldn't notice it, and at the final check before the station the guy noticed I had something in a pocket and asked what it was, it was my phone but I told him it was my wallet and he said that was OK and let me go. So you can have a wallet in a zipped pocket but not a phone, or keys... yeah makes sense... The operations were also incredibly slow, but that was to be expected because they can't launch when the drop tower is working.

No, you can't have a wallet per the giant, giant sign at the queue entrance. The guy was doing you a favor. Generally they would send you out of the line to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and you'd have to return to the end of the line. I can't believe you snuck a phone into the line, lied to the ride op, he did you a favor and now you're complaining.

Look... the policy is dumb as sh*t but it's not that dude's fault. Just suck it up and follow the rules, and if you don't and a guy gives you a break because he probably knew you were probably lying but also knew the rule was stupid then certainly don't complain about it.

Personally we just get the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. It's annoying, but it is what it is.

I know it's not the employee's fault, and I'm not complaining that he was doing his job. I was complaining about the policy which we agree is dumb...

Glad to hear it, even though your complaints far outweigh anything you enjoyed.

Sorry if it sounded that way.

Well, of course El Toro didn't live up to the hype. It's a wood coaster, it doesn't run as smooth as a B&M hyper. That's pure coaster boy hyperbole. You rode it on a chilly weekend in March when the park just opened for the season. It always runs slower on the shoulder season. Even then, Toro is only barely rough only on the turnaround. Did you sit in the magic seat or on wheel seat? Sounds like a wheel seat.

Well, Lightning Rod lived up to the hype, and it's a wood coaster that is glossy smooth... Some people, credible people IMO, say El Toro was better, and I can see where they are coming from. Smoothness is just one of my preferences.... No I made sure not to sit on a wheel seat the second time. I don't know what the magic seat is...

You didn't sit in the back, did you? Have you learned nothing from this board? The Mountain rejects you.

I sat in the 3rd row.

I don't understand how any of this is possible and I'm pretty sure you think you rode Batman but we're actually just on Harley Quinn or something. #fakenews

Batman is the one with the queue made of tin foil right?

Ok so you went to a Six Flags park on opening weekend and expected the operations to be in mid-season form? Let me know where you got that good stuff, bud.

No, didn't expect it to be mid-season form, but expected it to be a lot better.

I also never understand when people note how dead a park is and then complain about operations - especially on an opening weekend. If the park is dead, who cares how fast they're getting trains out? Of course operations are bad at any opening weekend at any park - even a park like Cedar Point which is known for its incredible throughput - go in that thread after opening weekend and watch the onslaught of whining go on for the following two weeks. Expecting a Six Flags parks - especially Great Adventure - to be running at full tilt in March is hilarious.

Again, never expected full tilt. But I go to Cedar Point every opening weekend and Kings Island early on too, and they have never been THAT bad that consistently.