TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Ryan that video was awesome! I loved the various shots under the station or beneath the track. The part towards the end with the dummies and the split screen of how it's supposed to look vs. slow AF is hilarious. Thanks for taking the time to make it and share with us!

Glad everyone enjoyed the video!

Very cool stuff. What's up with the super slow runs?

Also that shot from below the first drop as the train passed over was awesome!

The super slow runs are very common for Toro during the spring season and sometimes the fall season. There are a lot of reasons why Toro can run slowly. One is the grease used in the bearings of each wheel. The grease does not like cold weather and results in a slow running wheel which reduces the speed of the train heavily. During the first few test runs of the day on a cold morning, speeds are generally pretty slow compared to normal because the grease isn't warmed up yet. However once you get the grease nice and warm, the ride can hit the brake run as fast as 30+ mph. Another reason are the wheels themselves. The wheels are a very soft polyurethane which are better suited for warmer weather. These two factors are more so an issue at the beginning of the year when all the wheels/grease are new and not broken in. Additionally, the underside of 2nd generation Intamin prefab trains have a lot of empty space... so as soon as it gets extremely windy the bottom of the trains are essentially sails in the wind. (Toro and T Express use the 2nd gen) Depending on the direction of wind, certain hills on the ride will see a dramatically extra amount of speed worn off. Once the train clears the rolling thunder hill, the next highest hill is the hill into the brake run so if the train bleeds off too much speed during the S-turns.... get yourself a crane and get ready to tug.

Ryan, that video is awesome! I especially loved the last couple of minutes of it with the added comments!

Question for you - any chance you have any information on what the park plans to do with the remaining piece of Rolling Thunder? I remember when the coaster was newly demolished talk was that they left that portion up as a bit of a tribute and planned to permanently adhere the old trains to the section. Was that at one point in the works, only to be cancelled by constraints (budget, logistics, etc), or something still in the works, just on the back burner?

The super slow runs are very common for Toro during the spring season and sometimes the fall season. There are a lot of reasons why Toro can run slowly. One is the grease used in the bearings of each wheel. The grease does not like cold weather and results in a slow running wheel which reduces the speed of the train heavily. During the first few test runs of the day on a cold morning, speeds are generally pretty slow compared to normal because the grease isn't warmed up yet. However once you get the grease nice and warm, the ride can hit the brake run as fast as 30+ mph. Another reason are the wheels themselves. The wheels are a very soft polyurethane which are better suited for warmer weather. These two factors are more so an issue at the beginning of the year when all the wheels/grease are new and not broken in. Additionally, the underside of 2nd generation Intamin prefab trains have a lot of empty space... so as soon as it gets extremely windy the bottom of the trains are essentially sails in the wind. (Toro and T Express use the 2nd gen) Depending on the direction of wind, certain hills on the ride will see a dramatically extra amount of speed worn off. Once the train clears the rolling thunder hill, the next highest hill is the hill into the brake run so if the train bleeds off too much speed during the S-turns.... get yourself a crane and get ready to tug.

Thanks for going into the reasons why El Toro may be sluggish on cooler days. I was stunned to hear that ride could possibly valley simply because of how fast it runs, but I've always been on a hot summer day.

I've definitely had some slow AF rides on Toro on chilly spring/fall mornings. Its always really noticeable when you get to the RT hill and everything after. Those #boosted rides though. Sweet jesus.

I've definitely had some slow AF rides on Toro on chilly spring/fall mornings. Its always really noticeable when you get to the RT hill and everything after. Those #boosted rides though. Sweet jesus.

I hope to get a boosted ride some day! After so many laps on Toro you'd think I'd have one by now haha. Maybe the stars will align and Ryan can help grant me a special wish next year

Forgot to chime in on Bill's frozen TR. I got a good laugh out of the multiple layers helping with head banging on Green Lantern and barely being able to identify Brit in half the photos!

I hope to get a boosted ride some day! After so many laps on Toro you'd think I'd have one by now haha. Maybe the stars will align and Ryan can help grant me a special wish next year

You have to know the secret handshake.

Ryan, that video is awesome! I especially loved the last couple of minutes of it with the added comments!

Question for you - any chance you have any information on what the park plans to do with the remaining piece of Rolling Thunder? I remember when the coaster was newly demolished talk was that they left that portion up as a bit of a tribute and planned to permanently adhere the old trains to the section. Was that at one point in the works, only to be cancelled by constraints (budget, logistics, etc), or something still in the works, just on the back burner?

I think the original plan was to make that remaining piece of Rolling Thunder a memorial. I heard PTC even repainted the red and green trains to place them on the track. Idk why it never came to life but the two Rolling Thunder trains have been sitting around since 2014 waiting for any potential action.

You have to know the secret handshake.

either that or a $10 bill should do nicely! Jk, but unfortunately I don't think I will be returning to work at the park next year.

Here's an off-ride video of Toro I put together. It has a lot of nerdy behind the scenes shots including super slow test runs, boosted test runs, and angles you don't really get to see as a guest.

That was an awesome video! I love the famous "Intamin fart sound" it makes going over those hills.

The video also reminded me that this summer it will be 10 years since I rode this beast!

Sorry for the double post, but the park has announced a new president

www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/newsroom/january-8-2018

John Winkler Named New President of Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor

John Winkler has been named park president of Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor. He succeeds Neal Thurman who has taken over as park president of Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor outside Los Angeles, Calif. The announcement is a homecoming for Winkler as he spent seven years at Six Flags Great Adventure beginning in 2001 as director of in-park revenue and later co-general manager.

“John’s vision and leadership coupled with his in-depth knowledge of the property and its veteran management team make him perfectly suited to take Six Flags Great Adventure to the next level,” said Six Flags Senior Vice President of U.S. Park Operations Tom Iven.

Winkler most recently served as park president of Six Flags New England in Agawam, Mass. for six years. “I am thrilled to rejoin this world-class park, the largest in our portfolio, and the second largest in the world,” Winkler said. “Being at Great Adventure is a homecoming, and I am eager to work toward a bright future with this experienced and passionate team.”

Winkler’s career with Six Flags spans more than three decades. He began as a front-line team member at Six Flags Astroworld in 1983, and rose to the position of manager of games and retail. In 1998, Winkler joined Six Flags Great America outside Chicago, Ill. as games manager, and advanced to director and co-general manager during his seven years at Six Flags Great Adventure. From 2009 to 2011, Winker served as park president of Six Flags America outside Washington, D.C. prior to joining Six Flags New England.

Winkler studied aerospace engineering and biochemistry, and holds a degree in biochemistry and biophysical science from the University of Houston. Winker comes to Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor with a focus on team member development and a passion for incorporating technology into delivering outstanding guest service.

I know some people really obsess over these types of things but I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way. I love what Six Flags New England has been doing the last few years. Obviously the biggest improvements have been major new rides from corporate that likely have nothing to do with John Winkler, but they've done a lot of great things in terms of operations and small general improvements that he likely had a hand in. I'm sure he'll do a fine job at Great Adventure.

I just think the March hours haven't been posted yet unless they changed opening day. From the newsletter sent on December 26th:

"Holiday in the Park is Open Daily Through January 1

The holidays aren't over yet -- the lights are still twinkling, the cocoa is still piping hot, and the coasters are still racing! Holiday in the Park is open every day through January​ 1, including New Year's Eve until 9 p.​m. and New Year's Day.

Celebrate the last week of 2017 with a funnel cake and kick off 2018 with a plunge down Nitro. We'll then temporarily close until March​ 24 to prepare for an amazing 2018 season. "

Is this later than normal? Do they usually open mid to end March for the college spring breaks or is my memory wrong?

The earliest opening day has been is around March 20th to 23rd. It depends when Easter is, in 2014 the park didn't open until April 12th.

The park generally opens the week of NY and NJ public school spring break, NYC schools are closed week of April 2nd.

Could Saturday, March 31st be a park buyout that is just not listed on the calendar? Pfizer has done park buyouts very early in the season in previous years.