TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Locals have been complaining there is a good and bad side since it opened. It varies depending on who you talk to. I dunno, I haven't done either of them enough in succession to be able to tell the difference. I've done both the Great Adv and SFNE versions and liked SFNE's a bit better as the flips just felt smoother and for lack of being able to explain it better - the flips came at better moments? I really love both of them tho - even if I only get a flip or two the ride is still completely out of control and totally unpredictable every time.

Awesome report, Chris! Looks like a beautiful day and it's always great to see people getting their kids into amusement parks at a young age.

Great report! I found the park's Joker weaker than SFNE's when I rode it back in June. But if it's like the one at SFNE, is there a good and bad side?

In my experience the purple (lake) side of The Joker flips less than the green side. All purple rides have given us 1-3 flips whereas on the green side we always seem to get flipped into oblivion. YMMV, of course.

Hey guys. Anyone live near the park who could advise the likelihood of opening tonight? Nothing saying otherwise on Facebook or the website, but given the strong wind advisories and assumed smaller crowds, I didn't want to drive all way from Westchester county for nothing. No worries either way as we aren't really going for the rides or haunts, just want to soak in the Halloween atmosphere and maybe see a show. Thanks.

Awesome report, Chris! Looks like a beautiful day and it's always great to see people getting their kids into amusement parks at a young age.

Great report! I found the park's Joker weaker than SFNE's when I rode it back in June. But if it's like the one at SFNE, is there a good and bad side?

In my experience the purple (lake) side of The Joker flips less than the green side. All purple rides have given us 1-3 flips whereas on the green side we always seem to get flipped into oblivion. YMMV, of course.

I've been hearing that the green side flips more, in almost all my rides this year between GADV's, GAm's & SFNE's Jokers I rode green side and only ever got two flips max. Then one month ago El Toro Ryan & I rode purple side together and we got 5 flips! Maybe it's more of a balancing act to get the cars to flip more.

I've been hearing that the green side flips more, in almost all my rides this year between GADV's, GAm's & SFNE's Jokers I rode green side and only ever got two flips max. Then one month ago El Toro Ryan & I rode purple side together and we got 5 flips! Maybe it's more of a balancing act to get the cars to flip more.

That's wild Josh, sounds like the ride my mom and I had on green side last summer! It just kept flipping and flipping and flipping. Glad you finally got a good ride in - maybe ET Ryan brought you some extra good luck. I guess the jury's out on why you sometimes get lots of flippage on it and other times not so much. Completely unrelated, are you hoping to work Valravn again next year or something different?

That's wild Josh, sounds like the ride my mom and I had on green side last summer! It just kept flipping and flipping and flipping. Glad you finally got a good ride in - maybe ET Ryan brought you some extra good luck. I guess the jury's out on why you sometimes get lots of flippage on it and other times not so much. Completely unrelated, are you hoping to work Valravn again next year or something different?

The only difference on Ryan & I's ride is we tried to swing our legs together as best we could, and that may have helped! We both got off excited saying to each other "I've never flipped that many times before!"

Also on the side note, I'll be working a different ride next year!

So, are seatbelts on a merry-go-round a normal thing in the US?

Some have them. Some don't. Some of them are required only for kids (and may not fit an adult). I've also ridden one where they're required for adults playing the brass ring game.

For the first time it appears that Bizarro, Runaway Mine Train and Skyway (with both stations) are open after Fright Fest. Awesome news! Generally Frontier Adventures is closed this time of year.

Any news on when the Bull will close for the season? I might hit up the park for thanksgiving weekend, and getting to ride El Toro in November would be amazing.

For the first time it appears that Bizarro, Runaway Mine Train and Skyway (with both stations) are open after Fright Fest. Awesome news! Generally Frontier Adventures is closed this time of year.

Any news on when the Bull will close for the season? I might hit up the park for thanksgiving weekend, and getting to ride El Toro in November would be amazing.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say you'd want to get down there next weekend. Historically they have closed down Toro and Ka the first weekend of Holiday in the Park, and this year it falls on November 18th.

But then again, they've also historically closed Bizarro and RMT the weekend after Fright Fest, and that didn't happen this year, so who knows? They haven't yet released a map for this year's HITP festivities.

52 degrees on Sunday! Since if all goes to plan we'll be landing around 5am in DC and operating on approximately 0 minutes of sleep that day with a drive to New York looming we may stop in on the way home since we're passing it anyway. Maybe a bull ride and a freezing cold Kingda Ka ride will wake my a** up.

Don't count on us for anything that day. We'll be like walking zombies. lol

Assuming we can't sleep on a sh*tty Frontier plane in a seat that doesn't recline (safe assumption) I seriously think the plan might be to take a nap at a rest area (rather than try to find a hotel that allows us to check in at 6 or 7am). Since we have to pass the park anyway and it's the last day for El Toro and Kingda Ka we'll probably stop for an hour or so but I have no clue when we'll actually get there.

Haha that sounds awful. I was only being half serious, but if I can muster up the energy to take the train out there I might run into you guys. If so we can drink a beer cause that's exactly what you'll need.

lol sounds good.

I've always been of the opinion that if on the back end of an awesome trip you end up exhausted at home or at work on a day where you didn't have anything planned anyway I could barely even begin to give a sh*t if it means I had a great vacation but I'm definitely putting that philosophy to the test this time.

That's what I'm hoping, that it was just due to staffing. I was planning on going today cause it seemed like such a random day for the park to be open, but couldn't make it. Happy I didn't since out was a horrible day.

We were planning on going Saturday but that is looking like a no go also since the high will be 42 or something