TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Wow - and four years old! I thought he did great!

I don't remember what was thrown at me, back then, LOL!

Good for him and good for you for the support.

You're a great uncle!

Great pics, I especially enjoy that they aren't in a blue hue haha. Nice job getting the nephew on the mine train! Too bad he freaked out about Skull and TDK but with all the Halloween decorations as well that may have been too much for him. I bet next year he'll get on them!

LOL I'll never live that Wildwood TR down, will I?

And yes - I'm not sure why I forgot to mention that but he was pointing out the Fright Fest decorations at times during the day ("Why is that scary guy there like that?") and was terrified of the blood fountain the few times we passed it. Wouldn't walk near it lol.

Wow - and four years old! I thought he did great!

I don't remember what was thrown at me, back then, LOL!

Good for him and good for you for the support.

You're a great uncle!

Thanks! I try. I probably hang out with him more than most of his other aunts/uncles, and its usually the "fun" stuff since I don't have kids lol. He definitely associates me with rides - I've bought him kids books about coasters, a kiddie backyard coaster, and I'm usually around when we take him on rides @ Moreys (we'd also taken him to Great Adv before - but he was playing some "I've never been here before" nonsense lol - tho it was over a year ago). My sister has told me how he has casually mentioned to her that he wants to come visit me where I live "where the rides are", as if I live in a park. LOL!

Awesome! It's always great when a kid hits a height milestone, especially a kid who's already emotionally ready for bigger rides and is just waiting to grow that last inch.

Definitely don't want to push him, I want him to go on what he wants. Runaway Mine Train was one of my first, so I was really excited to get him on it, and I hyped him up while boarding telling him about how his Grandmom took me on it when I was his age. He was really into it when boarding, and loved the first half but got off kinda like "that was crazy!!" (not in a good way). But like I said, he mentioned in the car on the way home that it was his favorite. We'll definitely take him back over for HITP and maybe I can get him on Dark Knight/Harley Quinn/Justice League then. I may or may not be counting his credits. Ha!

I was determined to get him on at least one of those (my sister was horrified at the idea of him riding Skyscreamer - spoiler alert, he had a meltdown just looking at it). He's also big enough for JLBFM!

May have inadvertently seen this. Was right behind queing up seeing as a boy was flipping out at the height check. Didn't recognize you or would've said hi.

Great report! Too bad we missed you guys yesterday.

Great Adventure crowds during October do not mirror other parks. The park fills up no matter the weather and it gets more crowded each week until Halloween.

This. We waited THREE HOURS for Nitro on a Fright Fest Saturday about 24 hours before Hurricane Sandy (the second costliest Hurricane in US history) made landfall just a few miles southeast of the park. Nothing can stop a Fright Fest Saturday from being an unbearable sea of humanity.

^ Yea, during Fright Fest, it's common to see the line for Nitro extend out of the queue and wrapped around Batman. El Toro's line will also extend out of the queue and wrapped around about halfway towards the bridge to Bizarro. If you must go, go early like Boldikus did and get your rides in. Otherwise...good luck.

That's particularly scary since Nitro usually pumps trains out quickly.

Nitro is the single worst line in the park at night on a Fright Fest Saturday (other than MAYBE Ka) because of the absurd amount of exit passes. The Flash Pass line is always all the way down the stairs, the queue is generally spilling out the entrance and a large portion of every train is filled with people using exit passes (and the exit pass line also creates a bottleneck that makes it hard to exit the train and slows down dispatches).

It's miserable.

^ Yea, during Fright Fest, it's common to see the line for Nitro extend out of the queue and wrapped around Batman. El Toro's line will also extend out of the queue and wrapped around about halfway towards the bridge to Bizarro. If you must go, go early like Boldikus did and get your rides in. Otherwise...good luck.

Basically. I went two weeks ago on the first Saturday of Fright Fest and had a similar experience as yesterday - nice short lines all morning, building as the day went on, and we bounced right before 6. But yeah I've seen both Nitro and Toros line extend out of the queue with Toros wrapped around and going across the bridge to Bizarro (that was a Fright Fest Saturday) and Nitros queue wrapped around Batmans drop (also Fright Fest). Its best to just avoid the park the rest of this month unless you can absolutely get there at opening and get it all in while you can. That, or budget for a Flash Pass. Otherwise, prepare yourself for disappointment.

Keep in mind the "bonus" November weekends where all but Frontier will be open, so unless you are dying to ride RMT and Bizarro, just wait til then. Those days have been dead the last two years. I think they closed @ 8, but Plaza Del Carnival and Golden Kingdom have been open.

OH yeah . . . . I'll be doing one of the November bonus weekends. And I already got 3 Bizarro rides and two RMT's when I went in June, so they're not a priority for me.

What more could you want? Cooler weather + little crowds = a marathon on El Toro (or KK, Zumanjaro, etc)

I think they closed @ 8, but Plaza Del Carnival and Golden Kingdom have been open.

I could have sworn it was 7:00 on Sunday last year, have they actually increased the hours this year?!? I kind of liked 7 because I did this as a day trip; it was plenty dead by the close I know that. Note that DST ends 11/5 in the AM so it gets pretty dark even by 7. Anyway it's on my plans, although I did think about Columbus Day this Monday -- anyone try it before? But the other thing about November is what else is there to do?

I am almost positive it was 8pm last year. A quick check of the website says 8pm close for those weekends, 9pm close for the 18th, which will be the start of HITP.

But the other thing about November is what else is there to do?

What do you mean?

That's particularly scary since Nitro usually pumps trains out quickly.

Nitro is the single worst line in the park at night on a Fright Fest Saturday (other than MAYBE Ka) because of the absurd amount of exit passes. The Flash Pass line is always all the way down the stairs, the queue is generally spilling out the entrance and a large portion of every train is filled with people using exit passes (and the exit pass line also creates a bottleneck that makes it hard to exit the train and slows down dispatches).

It's miserable.

The park actually changed the policy with several types of exit passes so that they now go up the flash pass line. This way there is less bottlenecking. But don't worry, with the crazy Fright Fest crowds GADV gets, there will still be plenty of bottlenecking! #trainstackinggalore

I am almost positive it was 8pm last year. A quick check of the website says 8pm close for those weekends, 9pm close for the 18th, which will be the start of HITP.

But the other thing about November is what else is there to do?

What do you mean?

I'm sure it was 7:00 last year, so apparently they think this Novemberridefest or whatever is going to get more popular. At close I was walking away from Toro and by 8:30 I was eating freshly prepared pizza, finally cool enough to eat, and watching Son of Zorn (1.5 hours seems slow but .5 hours would be impossible). To quote your trip report, "At this point it was almost 7pm and I wanted to get a few more Bull rides in and we wanted to stop and get waffles so we headed there first but like most of the food places at this point, they were closed!" http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54313&start=16110

As to November, they're the only park open within a semi-reasonable distance. I actually do have non-coaster plans the weekend before and after those 2 weekends, oddly.

LOL but that report also says we got there at 1 and were there for 7 hours. That would be an 8pm closing. Also if it was "almost 7" and I had time to walk from Grannys, look for waffles, walk across the park and still ride El Toro five times its safe to say that was an 8pm close.

edit: my Uber receipt from the park that night. 8pm closing. Booyah.

Uber.thumb.png.9f7c6f2f5cfbf585f81ab5bd2166504b.png

I know with absolute certainty we did not wait an hour for that car, maybe 10 minutes tops.

Also, this if you need further proof.

Unfortunately, I have to go to the park on Saturday to process my 2018 pass. Trying to get there as early as I possibly can and don't plan on riding anything but I'm still expecting the absolute worst.

Kicking myself for not reading the fine print during the flash sale. I certainly would have sacrificed the extra money for season parking if it meant not having to deal with Fright Fest crowds.

I went last Saturday and it was busy as hell, but Batman had no line despite the app saying 20 minutes. Skull Mountain's line filled the cave all the way up and the employee at the entrance said 45 minutes, it was literally a 10 minute wait. The line didn't stop moving and they were dispatching trains before the next one even stopped at the block. Nitro's line was to the switchbacks and it was a 15 minute wait, they weren't stacking a train at all, the ride ops kept making comments that everyone had 45 seconds to be in their seats and ready. The ops checking the lapbars were FLYING down the trains.

Didn't really get on much else because we were with kids so we mainly stayed within Safari Kids but it was crowded people wise but the lines were moving.

In fact the longest line we waited in was to get our Purple cup for the dining plan, I never knew that getting a free cup with 5 people ahead of you could take 45 minutes.

This year's Nitro crew is the best I've ever seen. They were amazing again the other night, often dispatching as soon as a train dropped off the lift.

The Toro crew on the other hand was horrific. Colder weather generally does mean worse dispatch times on Toro since more layers of clothing means less lap bars that verify right away and more walks of shame but they were still awful. Ryan goes to Canada and everything goes to sh*t for the weekend. I guess I should have expected that.