TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Just a fact check:

This is abc rides, correct? Do any other manufacturers make a version of this?

I haven't seen it OFFICIAL anywhere, but everyone is assuming. I would hope Six Flags wouldn't build a Chinese Knockoff version of this!

Just a fact check:

I made that assumption when I listed it on the first page of the thread, I have not heard of any other companies with a similar ride. I did check ABC's website this morning (5AM EST) and didn't see any announcement/recognition of the installation at this.

However, I think one of the press releases mentioned the ride as a Tourbillon, which is ABC's model name for this ride. However, now I've just seen that Robb updated LaRonde announcement to show LaRonde's "Tourbillon" is actually a scrambler.

Edited by larrygator

I think one of my favorite aspects of the new addition is its placement. Many of us assumed the new addition would replace the Autobahn building. However, based on the rendering, the ride will replace that closed food stand, right by the Garden of Eatin' entrance. This will allow for future expansion in the Autobahn spot in the future (maybe Giant Discovery in 2019?). It does mean we'll lose a few more trees, though, but it's a small price to pay.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c19246164d2028bdb6ff7233f2a94845.jpg

I wasn't expecting that, this is neat to see this ride in the west! (of the world, the only one at the moment being in Hong Kong)

I'd wish to see this ride with a more grounded and elegent design, tho. I really dig the concept, but so far the design of these machines is just... weird and squarish.

I'm curious to see the new vest restraints, tho!

I still think we are 1 or 2 rides away from the Old Country path being re-opened.

Me too. I don't see them opening it up full time until something is in Autobahn's spot as well as Enterprise's old one.

It's been open on and off this year, a few times I went I've been able to walk through it, they would then shut it later at night.

I'm referring to (and I think Larry is as well) reopening the pathway full time, including removing the fencing.

Edited by michaellynn4

I like the addition. The park has slowly built up their non-coaster lineup over the past 6 years after Snyder ripped out a bunch of rides and simply left concrete slabs. Adventure Alley, Safari, Zumanjaro, El Diablo, JL and now Cyborg are all fantastic additions to boost the lineup. I also really liked them revitalizing the Lakefront with Joker, and now Old Country is one step closer to being complete. The only major, vacant eyesore left will be the old simulator building.

I am hoping to finally get an RMC next year, though. With SFOG getting Twisted Cyclone, we are the last major SF park to not have one. With all of the problems they have had this year, I have a gut feeling either RMT or Log Flume's days are numbered. It would suck to lose either ride, but both rides are deteriorating and sitting on prime real estate. Other potential locations I could see are the old Freefall/Batman Stunt Show plot of land, the simulator building/go-karts plot, or somewhere to the right of Zumanjaro's queue/behind Toro.

I still think we are 1 or 2 rides away from the Old Country path being re-opened.

It's been open on and off this year, a few times I went I've been able to walk through it, they would then shut it later at night.

They always have it open when there are groups in the park using the picnic grove. That's likely why its been open when you've seen that.

The only major, vacant eyesore left will be the old simulator building.

Its used a a FF trail and for game prize storage. Not vacant.

Will definitely be interested to hear opinions on this one once it opens. Certain spinning rides do me in, but usually the kind that spin on a single axis to the point where your vision is blurred (kind of like spinning on an office chair). This looks like it'll be more about a strange sense of movement than anything too pukey, and I have a suspicion that it'll look far more intense than it actually rides, but we shall see.

Yes, I experienced it once, but no one seems to know for sure the common thread or logical pattern to the days when the path is open, but i think Boldikus is right about large group events in the picnic area. Most people that found it open said it was before 3PM, pre-lunch

Edited by larrygator

Just a fact check:

I haven't seen it OFFICIAL anywhere, but everyone is assuming. I would hope Six Flags wouldn't build a Chinese Knockoff version of this!

Don't give them any ideas.

I like the addition. The park has slowly built up their non-coaster lineup over the past 6 years after Snyder ripped out a bunch of rides and simply left concrete slabs. Adventure Alley, Safari, Zumanjaro, El Diablo, JL and now Cyborg are all fantastic additions to boost the lineup. I also really liked them revitalizing the Lakefront with Joker, and now Old Country is one step closer to being complete. The only major, vacant eyesore left will be the old simulator building.

I am hoping to finally get an RMC next year, though. With SFOG getting Twisted Cyclone, we are the last major SF park to not have one. With all of the problems they have had this year, I have a gut feeling either RMT or Log Flume's days are numbered. It would suck to lose either ride, but both rides are deteriorating and sitting on prime real estate. Other potential locations I could see are the old Freefall/Batman Stunt Show plot of land, the simulator building/go-karts plot, or somewhere to the right of Zumanjaro's queue/behind Toro.

What's been the issues with Runaway Mine Train and Log Flume this year?

And yeah . . . . they're both original park opening rides, but if they're in bad shape, maybe they'll be taken out (if so, which is more likely to bite the dust?)

Its used a a FF trail and for game prize storage. Not vacant.

Ok, vacant from the public for about 8 of the 10 operating months of the season...

Really though, for how many years the simulator operated, I highly doubt the fact that it is currently used as prize storage or a FF trail will be a make-or-break reason for it either re-opening full-time or being demolished for something new. I would honestly prefer for it to be re-opened with upgraded technology, but my gut tells me that ship has sailed. I think we will see something done with that spot in the next 5 years. Management seems commited to taking down relatively old or unused structures, even if they are still somewhat in use (like Fort Independance).

What's been the issues with Runaway Mine Train and Log Flume this year?

And yeah . . . . they're both original park opening rides, but if they're in bad shape, maybe they'll be taken out (if so, which is more likely to bite the dust?)

RMT has had issues with the lift and a warped section of track, while from my understanding the Flume was down most of the summer.

RMT had a piece of track replaced on the bunnyhop over the lake. I didn't hear of any issues with the lift other than the usual stoppages for phones, etc, unless I just missed that.

The flume had issues with the lift and was down for maybe 3 weeks, not all summer.

Really though, for how many years the simulator operated, I highly doubt the fact that it is currently used as prize storage or a FF trail will be a make-or-break reason for it either re-opening full-time or being demolished for something new. I would honestly prefer for it to be re-opened with upgraded technology, but my gut tells me that ship has sailed. I think we will see something done with that spot in the next 5 years. Management seems committed to taking down relatively old or unused structures, even if they are still somewhat in use (like Fort Independance).

But they have other rarely used structures that can still be removed such as the theater across from the Justice League and the Batman Stunt Show Arena. Also a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle. I'd still like one more indoor ride/attraction to help the park in inclement weather.

^^ The picnic area runs alongside the parking lot and is further back than where the rendering suggests the ride is going. As I said in my post earlier it seems like they'll have to maybe reroute the entrance to the picnic area? But where the ride is going is across from Justice League, the picnic area should not be affected, save for the path to get in there... maybe.

picnic.jpg.57e926996e6f35d679f26a24ab207f18.jpg

new ride = red, picnic area = green

Also a few years ago there were rumors that Skull Mountain (sorry Cult of Skull Mountain members) might be at the end of it life cycle.

You shut your filthy mouth.

Looks like a great addition and I echo others that have stated the park needs more thrilling flats.

I am not sure if I could do this one or not - it might be one of those rides where I just grab a beer and watch a few cycles. Although as others have mentioned, I will stay far enough away from the projectile vomit zone.