TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

He's referring to the building by the tent structures:

[attachment=0]Paintball.jpg[/attachment]

Honestly, though, I don't feel that area will ever open up. It's always been blocked off, either by landscaping or rides, all the way back to the 1970s, as shown by archived satellite shots at Historic Aerials. Odds are it's purposefully constructed this way in order to divert traffic through the Boardwalk (games + food = $$$) or the Blue Tent Arcade (games = $$$).

I recall that the path was open before the paintball building was built. Now, I have some research to do.

If memory serves me correctly, the constantly broken Jumpin Jack Flash was in that spot before the paintball building. I got my first season pass in its opening year of 1999, and only ever managed one ride on it. That ride broke down and we were stuck for over 20min.

That timeline makes sense, Larry, that's around when the park was in that growth spurt after switching entrances. I'm with you, I've never been bothered by cutting through the arcade. I'd much rather the park work to reopen the Old Country section and Golden Kingdom path.

Why is it called the paintball building? Was that offered for awhile as an upcharge?

They use it now for the clown Halloween maze right?

Also, where is the simulator and why dont they use it? Isnt that kind of ride super cheap to operate?

I don't know what they use it for but the clown maze is in the red tent building and the simulator building is also used for Halloween mazes / storage.

Why is it called the paintball building? Was that offered for awhile as an upcharge?

They use it now for the clown Halloween maze right?

Also, where is the simulator and why dont they use it? Isnt that kind of ride super cheap to operate?

1) Simple - when first built (after Jumpin' Jack Flash was removed in the early 2000s), it was used as a paintball gallery. After a while it closed and has been boarded up ever since.

2) "Big Top Terror" is in the red tent next to the building.

3) The former simulator building is on the Boardwalk, right next to the go-karts. It hasn't run as a ride since 2010, but it houses two of the park's Fright Fest mazes each year with the remaining portions of the building used as bulk prize storage for the nearby games. I can't speak to how cheap or expensive those rides are, but since so many other parks have removed their respective versions as well, we can infer that the company clearly sees no value in those types of rides anymore.

3) The former simulator building is on the Boardwalk, right next to the go-karts. It hasn't run as a ride since 2010, but it houses two of the park's Fright Fest mazes each year with the remaining portions of the building used as bulk prize storage for the nearby games. I can't speak to how cheap or expensive those rides are, but since so many other parks have removed their respective versions as well, we can infer that the company clearly sees no value in those types of rides anymore.

Is that the building where one of the mazes is 100% in the dark?

From having gone in there during the maze, I guess all the seats and such are gone and it's just a shell now with maze stuff.

I disagree with the statement that these types of rides have no value. Six Flags management is also known for removing trees and adding concrete, which is idiotic, and removing flumes, which is criminal. They also dont see the value in adding shelter to line rides.

Thanks for the great info. Is there a map of buildings showing which ones arent being used? That would be cool to see.

Is that the building where one of the mazes is 100% in the dark?

Yes.

Is there a map of buildings showing which ones aren't being used? That would be cool to see.

Too many to count. However, credit must be given when credit is due: the last couple of years have seen the revival of a bunch of stands and buildings throughout the park that were previously shuttered (Villian's Cafe, Sky Bar, Metro Grill, Munchopolis, the Macho Nacho makeover, etc). There's still plenty of work that needs to be done, but the park is clearly making efforts. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I just got back to my AirBNB from the Iowa State Fair and I can say my new favorite flat ride ever is the Mondial Top Scan and GAdv needs one immediately. What a fun ride that creates crazy, weird, forces and hang time/air time that makes Toro's airtime feel like floater.

I just got back to my AirBNB from the Iowa State Fair and I can say my new favorite flat ride ever is the Mondial Top Scan and GAdv needs one immediately. What a fun ride that creates crazy, weird, forces and hang time/air time that makes Toro's airtime feel like floater.

They are really fun! Cedar Fair has them at some of their parks.

Great Adventure probably edges out Hershey for top of the bucket list. I've been researching ways to get to the park without renting a car, but it looks like renting a car is the way to go.

I keep forgetting how many coasters this park has! And ontop of that the flat collection + whole animal part. Kinda reminds me a bit of the old Kings Island that had an 'Animal Kingdom' esque section with monorail and all.

Would Trenton be the closest airport to the park?

^ Trenton, Newark or Philly. You can easily get a cab/Uber in Trenton to take you to the park. With no traffic its 20 minutes (about 20 dollars). Getting back is iffy as I've been able to get Ubers out there back to Trenton but not always. Was almost stuck once late last year during HITP, luckily a friend came to rescue me. Forget about cabs out there. Its kinda in the middle of nowhere.

Yup, but I think the only options with that airport are Allegiant and Frontier. Allegiant only seems to fly to Trenton from Florida and occasionally Myrtle Beach but you might find some more options with Frontier.

If you can get a flight through Frontier, they aren't bad. I've only had good experiences with them, but airlines are always a mixed bag. Fares can be dirt cheap, but they charge for everything. Treat it like a flying bus. Otherwise PHL and EWR will get you there.

Appreciate it everyone! With Chicago having two airports there's an option to fly virtually anywhere. So all mentioned airports are possible. If Labor Day doesn't workout, another weekend will given the park's extended hours going into the fall months.

The biggest question is wether or not to take advantage of being in the area and hit up Hershey as well. This will all come together soon..

The biggest question is wether or not to take advantage of being in the area and hit up Hershey as well.

You spelled Knoebels wrong.

Sorry, I've been in the city for too long. Let me get my backpacking gear ready and I'll follow the woodland creatures to the land of wooden coasters and peirogis.

It's 3 hours vs 2 hours. I'll get there eventually! It looks like a great 3 day break from the city life honestly.

So I got a ride on El Toro tonight with the boost feature on and HOLY F**KING SHIT. The drop goes from already insane to just completely absurd. I'll have a report up tomorrow. Heading back up to Mass now and I'm too lazy to just type it in the car.