TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm headed to the park tomorrow for a bit on the way to a party. I'm going to guess it'll be very crowded, but I don't how Fridays stack up here. Any advice?

1.) Pray

2.) Get there for opening and go immediately (Unless you plan on riding Kingda Ka then go there first) to El Toro for a ride or two.

3.) Ride Bizzarro then take the sky ride over to Nitro, Batman and Joker.

That's what Hertz said when I made it from Disneyland to Six Flags Magic Mountain in 90 minutes...and this was me leaving at 8:30 am on a Wednesday. I didn't question it.

I got from my Anaheim hotel to SFMM in 1:15, and that was when I left at about 8:30-9ish on a cloudy Sunday.

Back to the real park, though, turnpike traffic didn't seem bad when I went down. Boston is hell, though, on busy days.

Well, the times I've driven up there . . . I just take 295 when I get over the Delaware Memorial Bridge . . . so it's a few miles more than taking the turnpike, but I'm saving some $ on tolls.

Oh. I'm from MA so I took 90 to 84 to the turnpike via GW Bridge. Hit no traffic actually, ~4.5hr drive

Thank you for answering my questions thus far, I guess i wonder how loose is loose... I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

A few days late to this discussion but fanny packs are OK on everything except El Toro and Joker. I've been able to wear mine on Ka before with no issues but with the latest no-loose-articles-even-wallets policies in place on Toro and Joker, they will probably make you put it in a lo cker for Ka. Sunglasses with straps are allowed on all rides and I wear mine on everything including Joker (against the advice of the ops.) My straps are pushed far onto the arms of the glasses and I make the back drawstring straps very snug just before getting on the ride. I've ridden everything under the sun at many different parks this way (Tomb Raider at KD, X2 at Magic Mountain, etc.) and never had them move an inch. You should be fine to bring an umbrella in though especially if it's a collapsable one. Have fun and report back!

Now what about my small camera case that attaches to my belt on all other rides? Are we allowed to take pictures on the Parachute tower? That's one of the rides I really want to do.

I stopped in for a quick 2 hour visit yesterday just cause I was going past the park anyway and had some time to kill.

We checked out the sea lion show for the first time this year, it's really good and only about 10 minutes. A major improvement over last year's show that was about the animal Olympics. They only use the sea lion for this one unlike last year when they used the pig and some other animals but it's definitely worth checking out.

I really don't find myself to be much of a complainer when I go to parks but 2 things happened yesterday that annoyed me. I'm for the new loose articles policy that the park is using and that's because I've experienced way too many selfish morons who take their cell phones out on coasters in the past year and it seems like it keeps getting worse.

So I saw them tell a few people to leave the station when they saw people had phones out or in their pockets. I get in the second to last row, immediately going up the lift hill there's some woman in the 4th or 5th row with their cell phone out already and she kept it out the entire time all the way back into the station.

The staff didn't notice nor care so I said something to one of them as I got off but didn't stick around to see if they did anything. If they are going to try to stick to this policy they need to pay more attention and make examples of these people. I'm just sick of these selfish morons with complete disregard for the people behind them.

They were also handing out the boarding tickets to keep track of the line on El Toro and nitro (the only 2 I went on) but the problem was there were no lines so why bother doing this? The staff wasn't checking them anyway and there was no reason to. Just pointless.

I don't complain often about the park but this stuff just annoyed me today. The seal show was great and Nitro and El Toro were awesome as usual. I was just annoyed that instead of enjoying one of the best coasters in the world I was paying more attention to the selfish moron to see if her phone was going to come flying at my face.

I really don't find myself to be much of a complainer when I go to parks but 2 things happened yesterday that annoyed me. I'm for the new loose articles policy that the park is using and that's because I've experienced way too many selfish morons who take their cell phones out on coasters in the past year and it seems like it keeps getting worse.
Everything about our cell phone culture drives me nuts. I resisted them myself for years until it was practically a requirement to have one.

At SFDK last month at least half the people were either just sitting down or walking aimlessly with a cell phone stuck to their face. It made me wonder why are they even here...you can do that at home.

As far as cell phones and coasters go, if one ever hits me on a ride and it doesn't knock me out cold(or worse), I pity the fool when we get back to the station. I also support these policies and wish they'd get even more strict. I don't see the need to do this. You can go on youtube any time and watch professional vids filmed by people like Robb.

A few years back I was praying the obsession was just a fad. Its not. Its here to stay.

Worst is concerts and I hear its even worse than the last time I went to a show. I'm one of the only people in the crowd not standing there aiming a phone at the stage. Didn't even pull my phone out when I was really close to the stage at the M.I.A. show and Buckethead show. What's the point? To get a like on FB or Twitter? No thanks. I'll just enjoy the show.

Another reason for my dislike of this stuff is I was in a car wreck back in March 2016 in front of my house. I was turning into my driveway and the car behind the car behind me tried passing us both as I was pulling in. He overcorrected, hit me, and his car landed upside down. A miracle we weren't killed. I walked over there to make sure he was alive. He was....and he was also talking. Told me he was texting his girlfriend on the way to Starbucks. He then asked me if he could use my phone(his flew out during the wreck). That enraged me and only two things saved this guy from his cruising for a bruising....

He was in distress

My ex girlfriend was there

When the cops arrived the first thing I said was the needless and idiotic reason for this crash.

Sorry for the rant straying off topic. Cell phones just irritate me(except when they're being used in theme park TRs ).

^ At least at a concert it can't go flying back at 70 mph.

I remember SFNE's old 5 year ban policy if you had your phone out being more effective. Lately I've seen more and more people with their phones out on the rides. What's the worst thing if they catch you now? They just kick you out of the station? I think the penalty needs to be harsher to deter people.

A couple of pictures from the sea lion show and the animals behind the stadium, I know we all love to talk about coasters but this area of the park is really awesome.

20170805_170839.thumb.jpg.5346e94453dc060dbdac88673b14c262.jpg

Swimming with the trainer

20170805_170849.thumb.jpg.b197a631fd0787b6fe8ca89517f53b97.jpg

She likes to dance too

20170805_171219.thumb.jpg.e53f4e4bea3edaab4139585bb22a3020.jpg

Up close after the show

20170805_171218.thumb.jpg.d9975a024cf86c92dafd805af41cb405.jpg

Waving goodbye

20170805_171349.thumb.jpg.4f413332611774a54a1a94fad0c0fbc7.jpg

Flamingo area in the safari discoveries section behind the sea lion stadium, first time I've ever seen them there before.

20170805_171357.thumb.jpg.0e08130a0aa18291fbee11573645c839.jpg

Also some kangaroos where the baby giraffe was earlier this year

Everything about our cell phone culture drives me nuts. I resisted them myself for years until it was practically a requirement to have one.

At SFDK last month at least half the people were either just sitting down or walking aimlessly with a cell phone stuck to their face. It made me wonder why are they even here...you can do that at home.

As far as cell phones and coasters go, if one ever hits me on a ride and it doesn't knock me out cold(or worse), I pity the fool when we get back to the station. I also support these policies and wish they'd get even more strict. I don't see the need to do this. You can go on youtube any time and watch professional vids filmed by people like Robb.

A few years back I was praying the obsession was just a fad. Its not. Its here to stay.

Worst is concerts and I hear its even worse than the last time I went to a show. I'm one of the only people in the crowd not standing there aiming a phone at the stage. Didn't even pull my phone out when I was really close to the stage at the M.I.A. show and Buckethead show. What's the point? To get a like on FB or Twitter? No thanks. I'll just enjoy the show.

Another reason for my dislike of this stuff is I was in a car wreck back in March 2016 in front of my house. I was turning into my driveway and the car behind the car behind me tried passing us both as I was pulling in. He overcorrected, hit me, and his car landed upside down. A miracle we weren't killed. I walked over there to make sure he was alive. He was....and he was also talking. Told me he was texting his girlfriend on the way to Starbucks. He then asked me if he could use my phone(his flew out during the wreck). That enraged me and only two things saved this guy from his cruising for a bruising....

He was in distress

My ex girlfriend was there

When the cops arrived the first thing I said was the needless and idiotic reason for this crash.

Sorry for the rant straying off topic. Cell phones just irritate me(except when they're being used in theme park TRs ).

Geez, glad you were alright at least. Theme parks I usually only use my phone to take photos of animal exhibits or just to grab some photos in front of some rides or entrances. Other then that I don't have my phone out whatsoever unless I'm checking the time. Concerts have gotten worse with phones as well but like Canobie Coaster said at least those can't hurt you. I have no problems with people taking some photos and quick videos of a song, I've definitely done the same, it's the people who record the entire show on their phones that I don't understand.

With the amount of phones I've been seeing out on coasters lately it won't surprise me if every coaster has a metal detector at some point.

They were also handing out the boarding tickets to keep track of the line on El Toro and nitro (the only 2 I went on) but the problem was there were no lines so why bother doing this? The staff wasn't checking them anyway and there was no reason to. Just pointless.

People have been complaining for years about line cutting at GAdv. It has always been one of the biggest gripes I've heard from people. Even if it was dead I am glad they are still making an effort to deter line cutters. During my last visit that ticket helped prevent one kid from cutting about 10 people through El Toro's switchbacks. It was also a walkon that day, but the point is it did its job.

People have been complaining for years about line cutting at GAdv. It has always been one of the biggest gripes I've heard from people. Even if it was dead I am glad they are still making an effort to deter line cutters. During my last visit that ticket helped prevent one kid from cutting about 10 people through El Toro's switchbacks. It was also a walkon that day, but the point is it did its job.

The worker at El Toro wasn't checking any of them even though there was a very small line and Nitro I walked straight into the station, it really just seems like a waste unless there's actually a line, especially when they aren't bothering to check.

I'd honestly rather see them stick a security guard at rides where this is actually a problem and have them take care of it instead of this system. Are there any other parks out there that do the paper system?

The worker at El Toro wasn't checking any of them even though there was a very small line and Nitro I walked straight into the station, it really just seems like a waste unless there's actually a line, especially when they aren't bothering to check.

I'd honestly rather see them stick a security guard at rides where this is actually a problem and have them take care of it instead of this system. Are there any other parks out there that do the paper system?

Just giving out the tickets cuts out a good number of line cutters. Also, on busier days I have seen them check the numbers, so I'm sure they are doing it on slow days just to keep it as the standard (even if they aren't keeping an eye on the order these days).

With El Toro there are places for people exiting the ride to cut the line and get right back on line without walking back to the entrance. If you do not have a ticket because you entered in the wrong place you don't have a ticket to even hand the ticket taker. So you do prevent this abuse of the system.

Yesterday I had a fantastic day at the park! Not only was the weather very nice, but to my surprise, it was also Season Pass Appreciation weekend! They had a bunch of stuff going on such as ERT for certain coasters each day (but I got o the park after that happened) as well as discounts for pass holders. My mother and I ended up getting 2 t-shirts and a cap for only $18.50 at the end of the day.

Before all that, we entered the park not too long after it opened and went straight to the Safari. I got plenty of decent pictures of all the animals which I'll show of later. After that, we squeezed in two consecutive rides on Bizarro, which were both walk-ons because three trains were running. Also, all of the effects EXCEPT the flamethrowers were working when we rode it. Then we took the Skyride over to the other side of the park to get lunch. We went to the Primo's/Johnny Rockets near Nitro and it ended up taking us about 45 minutes just to get our food. I think that they must have been severely understaffed in there. Anyway, after that we went on Batman: The Ride twice in a row and got to see a snippet of our ride video; I have no idea how ling they're going to keep that up, but it's a very interesting concept.

After that, my mother went back to the car to rest while I stayed and went on the Joker by myself (thank goodness for the single riders line). Then I went on Nitro, which was a 15 minute wait, and tried to go by Justice League, but the wait was too long for me. I decided to go on Houdini for the heck of it and I ended up finishing the day with Kingda Ka for the first, and probably only, time this season. I reunited with my mother, who had since re-entered the park and rode Zumanjaro (which she keeps referring to as "Freefall" ) twice in a row.

It was a very nice day at the park for both of us, except for the fact that I lost my season pass card after we first entered the park, but I just got myself a new one at guest relations, so it was no big deal. The woman there even waived the replacement fee for the card, which was nice. Overall, 5 out of 6 Flags!

I'll post my pictures momentarily...

Pictures:

No more Golden Kingdom? Possible re-naming in the future?

A dazzle and a crash

I saw the little one in the front trying to escape!

So majestic!

Obligatory nature shot (behind Best Of the West).

Modern art masterpiece.

Loving the new blue paint!

They give these out now for all the major rides.

THIS is why you can't bring things on Ka anymore, people!

New painted Paralax!

Thanks for reading!

Hopefully they'll put it right next to Looping Diablo.

Well SF might not be done with superloops. There has been rumors of a La Ronde superloop and now today a SFGAm custom largest ever superloop. That would be hilarious if one of their teased records/firsts is the tallest superloop. Why not put the 9th and 10th superloops in the chain along with the 11th skyscreamer, and 2 more 4D's for good measure. Of course start the cloning of Skywarps b/c if they actually bought one, they will end up at many parks like superloops.