TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I've also heard -1.7G over the Rolling Thunder hill, but the strongest negative force I've ever heard of on a roller coaster is Skyrush's second hill (not counting the first drop), where you cross under the first hill. That's supposed to spike at -2G.

2nd pic shows a right turn at the top of the lift hill instead of a left turn, 3rd pic is... a dual loading station? That's all I got.

The dual load station is for Ka and that is there today. The plans show the air gates going in the interior of the two stations however instead of the outsides like they were built. There's also a stairwell in the back of the station which would have taken the Q-line into the center of the station for boarding.

Look at the first picture again, there's a lot of differences with the area.

With the Fiesta Texas announcement being premature thanks to USA Today, who here thinks Raptor or T-Rex for Great Adventure?

It does give me hope, although it does concern me there has been no visible signs of any land clearing, markers or attraction closures yet. I still think it will be a HH or flat ride yer as of now.

With the Fiesta Texas announcement being premature thanks to USA Today, who here thinks Raptor or T-Rex for Great Adventure?

We've had a pretty ridiculous run of awesome new additions the last 5 years or so including a coaster and a really expensive dark ride the last 2 years. I sort of expect a smaller addition this year (yeah, I know... "first of it's kind" but that could really mean anything). I'm just guessing though, given the lack of leaks / teasers or land clearing it could really be anything.

Right hand turn in the second picture and a different plaza in the first. The proposed plaza would have included a relocated ride and rolling thunder entrance (or did Rolling Thunder actually have its entrance moved? I'm not too personally familiar with the ride) and the ride's exit path would have been completely different, going under the course and exiting parallel to the tracks on the lake side of the roller coaster, not parallel to the queue as it is today.

Looks as if the plaza would have included more/less different buildings, and the plans say the entrance would have included several queue buildings, but personally I think they where just referring to the tarps that are over the queue today. Even in that era of Six Flags, I couldn't see them making a ride's queue a series of themed buildings ala Expedition Everest (even at a reduced level of theming).

Edited by RollerManic

Honestly, I want that giant frisbee. Bonus points if it's in the HITP section of the park.

Same. Honestly anything else I think I might be disappointed in. We need a good large thrilling flat. A raptor would be great, but not @ that capacity.

Thanks for posting those images, Ryan! I'm always fascinated by the planning process behind park additions.

Count me in for hoping for a Giant Frisbee, also. Theme it after Wonder Woman, put it right where the Autobahn building is as an extension of Metropolis, and position it to swing out over the pathway. I think that'd be a great addition.

That said, that doesn't really fit into the "world's first" category we've already been told, but hey, a guy can dream.

Edited by michaellynn4

A giant frisbee would help the park's flat ride lineup significantly. Please start adding rides to the Old Country area. That area was so spooky to walkthrough last year at Holiday in the Park, especially when a Six Flags security guard pops up from behind and interrogates you why anyone would want to take a picture of the old observatory from the Chiller ride.

Thanks for posting those images, Ryan! I'm always fascinated by the planning process behind park additions.

Anytime!

Right hand turn in the second picture and a different plaza in the first. The proposed plaza would have included a relocated ride and rolling thunder entrance (or did Rolling Thunder actually have its entrance moved? I'm not too personally familiar with the ride) and the ride's exit path would have been completely different, going under the course and exiting parallel to the tracks on the lake side of the roller coaster, not parallel to the queue as it is today.

Lookslike the plaza would have included more/less different buildings, and the plans say the entrance would have included several queue buildings, but personally I think they where just referring to the tarps that are over the queue today. Even in this era of Six Flags, I couldn't see them making a ride's queue a series of themed buildings ala Expedition Everest (even at a reduced level of theming).

Yup! Plaza Del Carnival would have been pretty different. Idk if those q-line buildings would have been themed buildings like Expedition Everest but they may have been shade structures similar to the one in the old Ka Q-line. You'll also notice that there is no Tango in that plan! lol

And going back to the 2nd picture, it is talked about that Toro was only built to 3/4 the original size conceptualized. Apparently the ride would have been the tallest/fastest wooden coaster. The layout in the 2nd picture may or may not be the original Toro that was first idealized. You'll also notice that the outbound and return run on the out and back section are not parallel and I believe the switch was made later to make them parallel as a cost saving method. This combined the structures of the two sections which saves on material and construction costs.

Jim Reid Anderson stated on the conference call that he expects this (assuming it ever actually opens which is a BIG ASSUMPTION) to have no impact whatsoever on attendance. He states that:

“I will address head-on what I think is the source of your question, which is there was a recently announced news that came out about some park opening in the Meadowlands. And the reality is that this project is in essence, a mall that happens to have a ski slope, a small kids’ park, and is absolutely not in competition with anything that we do at any of our parks including Great Adventure. Very small in scale, indoors, not comparable”

(pulled right from the article you linked to)

Honestly, he's right.

Seeking Alpha then goes on to label that claim as dismissive since they need to to justify their stupid study of 2000 people (about 10% of which don't even know where the mall is) but Jim Reid Anderson is totally right. This is a small scale project, the Nickelodeon IP will target families with kids which is a completely different market than what Six Flags targets (though they're improving in that area) and I highly doubt that they'll even attempt to compete with a park that has the world's tallest coaster, tons of massive thrill rides and a 350 acre safari with 1200 animals.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike). They'll also likely have a higher price point than Six Flags. I really don't see them being a threat. That 25% number is hilarious. I'm really interested to hear how they phrased the question that they presented to these 2,000 people. I highly doubt that they're aware of the Nickelodeon branding and small scale of the park.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike).

I've never once hit traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I guess I just have a golden horseshoe wedged in the hood of my Jetta.

I can't see Six Flags's primary audience picking a smaller family park over a major thrill park. I still think Hershey or Dorney are bigger competitors to their business.

This place is 70 miles from Great Adventure or an hour and 15 minute drive (with no traffic which is a rarity on the northern portion of the Jersey Turnpike).

I've never once hit traffic on the NJ Turnpike. I guess I just have a golden horseshoe wedged in the hood of my Jetta.

Yeah, you do.

The Jersey Turnpike used to have a reputation as one of the most congested highways in America but it's generally much better now that the merge is gone (that was it's name... you could just say "the merge" to anyone in the tri-state area and everyone knew what merge you were talking about because it was so terrible). Up where it splits into the eastern and western spurs it's still a complete sh*tshow though.

I've been to LA, Atlanta, New York/NJ, Chicago and a much of metro areas where everyone says traffic is a disaster.

Outside of Boston, the only spot worse for traffic I've encountered is DC. Even at midnight, it's bumper to bumper.

I've been to LA, Atlanta, New York/NJ, Chicago and a much of metro areas where everyone says traffic is a disaster.

Outside of Boston, the only spot worse for traffic I've encountered is DC. Even at midnight, it's bumper to bumper.

While I agree that DC is a disaster and probably the worst area for congestion in America outside of MAYBE Los Angeles and Long Island, the fact that you didn't hit traffic in LA proves that you have a golden horseshoe up your a**.

Thank you for answering my questions thus far, I guess i wonder how loose is loose... I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

A few days late to this discussion but fanny packs are OK on everything except El Toro and Joker. I've been able to wear mine on Ka before with no issues but with the latest no-loose-articles-even-wallets policies in place on Toro and Joker, they will probably make you put it in a lo cker for Ka. Sunglasses with straps are allowed on all rides and I wear mine on everything including Joker (against the advice of the ops.) My straps are pushed far onto the arms of the glasses and I make the back drawstring straps very snug just before getting on the ride. I've ridden everything under the sun at many different parks this way (Tomb Raider at KD, X2 at Magic Mountain, etc.) and never had them move an inch. You should be fine to bring an umbrella in though especially if it's a collapsable one. Have fun and report back!

Yeah, you do.

The Jersey Turnpike used to have a reputation as one of the most congested highways in America but it's generally much better now that the merge is gone (that was it's name... you could just say "the merge" to anyone in the tri-state area and everyone knew what merge you were talking about because it was so terrible). Up where it splits into the eastern and western spurs it's still a complete sh*tshow though.

The merge isn't actually gone. It's just been relocated. It's now a little bit south of where the PA Turnpike Extension branches off.