TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

"

EDIT: Why does "F u l l - T h r o t t l e" auto correct to "YOLOcoaster" ?

Six Fkags used YOLO extensively as their marketing push for that ride.

The auto correct is amusing.

Unlike the auto correct pain in the ass that turns l.o c. k e. r, s into lockers

Six Flags should buy Dueling Dragons from Universal.

Worlds first transfer of roller coaster from Universal to Six Flags.

Just a friendly reminder...When someone is obviously a troll or someone that we have banned before, please just report them and we will take care of it. Responding and egging them on just creates more work for site moderators.

Thanks!

"World's first" does not mean "Completely new ride no one's seen"

While true, I don't think the park would be using "world's first" in their marketing if they didn't mean they're adding something that no one has seen before.

I don't think you know Six Flags as well as you think you do

On another note, I don't think we'll get a coaster for at least 8 years, I mean,

we did just get a fantastic coaster that is El Diablo

Just a friendly reminder...When someone is obviously a troll or someone that we have banned before, please just report them and we will take care of it. Responding and egging them on just creates more work for site moderators.

Thanks!

Thank you and I apologize if I added to it. I had no idea what was going on, or I never would have responded at all (I was beginning to see it though lol).

Was there tonight from 2:30-around 10:40. I went with my best friend and her daughter, so I was frequently splitting up from them since her daughter is only 4. Toro and Nitro were a lot smoother today than last time I was there. The video thing on Batman is really funny, my last ride I stared directly in to the camera the whole ride with a creepy evil grin on my face and didn't blink the whole ride on purpose. Was quite mad when I went down and saw the booth was closed.

Got on the essentials that REALLY matter to me.

El Toro: 2

Batman: 4

Nitro: 2

Then just did a few kiddie rides with them and Deja Vu 3 times with them because it was her favorite.

Went to the arcade by Batman and kept draining the Wheel Of Fortune machine dry because I kept spinning the wheel, at one point it stopped spitting tickets and it still owed me 486.

PS: I get that it may not be crazy busy but to close Macho Nacho in Movietown before 8pm on a Friday is annoying as hell. I wanted that for dinner and it seems whenever I'm craving a certain place for dinner, it's either closed all day, or closes way too early.

IMG_0629.thumb.JPG.dd3c20058c2938ac7d996006e93eecae.JPG

If you can read it, the game says "486"

So, I was thinking about season passes... is there an option (historically) where you buy a pass for next season and you can use it THIS season at any of the parks?

My thought was, since I have limited vacation, to buy a 2018 pass when the promos start in the early fall this year and use it for part of this year, too at different six flags... like maybe I buy it at great adventure and do six flags America on the same trip, but in the spring, make it out to St Louis.

Yes if you buy a pass during the Labor Day sale you can use it for the rest of this year and next. You do have to go to the park that you got the pass from first. Then you can use it at any of the SF parks.

Okay, we are getting closer to planning some vacation, and since I don't have a SF pass, we were trying to get the 2018 pass early so we can use it this season, too. Is the Labor Day Flash sale almost guaranteed to happen? Because we are planning to be in the area on sunday and monday. When historically does the sale start for the weekend?

What can you experts tell me about the passes? From what it looks like the gold gets you early entry and free parking at ALL six flags... is that correct? What other advice can you give me about the park? What is up with this loose article rule on the rides? I'll ask more questions as I plan a little more.

When it comes to the loose articles policy all your answers can be found in this thread already. I use the search option for threads when I'm going to parks that aren't local all the time and I feel like people don't take advantage of this great feature more.

20170730_135839.thumb.png.fa5388a71cb08066657e70040defb50f.png

Right under the name of the thread you can enter what you want to search in this thread

20170730_135925.thumb.png.91791918ad6556775f148fa4401f63b2.png

Here you can see the results after you search

Is the Labor Day Flash sale almost guaranteed to happen? Because we are planning to be in the area on sunday and monday. When historically does the sale start for the weekend?

Last year it started on Thursday. It's almost guaranteed to happen, and the worst thing that can happen is you wait and it doesn't. There's no benefit to buying a pass in advance.

What can you experts tell me about the passes? From what it looks like the gold gets you early entry and free parking at ALL six flags... is that correct?

Yes. Look into the memberships too, they're more convenient in my opinion.

What other advice can you give me about the park?

Boldikus wrote the book on this. I suggest giving this a read.

What is up with this loose article rule on the rides?

Most coasters have a no loose article policy so don't bring anything with you that can't fit in your pockets. Kingda Ka, Joker and El Toro have a strict no loose article policy so you'll need to buy a l.ocker to ride them. You can't have anything with you (phones / keys / wallets), not even in a zippered pocket. L.ockers are $1 for 2 hours or for $8 you can buy an all day l.ocker pass that lets you transfer things from l.ocker to l.ocker all day.

Is the Labor Day Flash sale almost guaranteed to happen? Because we are planning to be in the area on sunday and monday. When historically does the sale start for the weekend?

Last year it started on Thursday. It's almost guaranteed to happen, and the worst thing that can happen is you wait and it doesn't. There's no benefit to buying a pass in advance.

What can you experts tell me about the passes? From what it looks like the gold gets you early entry and free parking at ALL six flags... is that correct?

Yes. Look into the memberships too, they're more convenient in my opinion.

What other advice can you give me about the park?

Boldikus wrote the book on this. I suggest giving this a read.

What is up with this loose article rule on the rides?

Most coasters have a no loose article policy so don't bring anything with you that can't fit in your pockets. Kingda Ka, Joker and El Toro have a strict no loose article policy so you'll need to buy a l.ocker to ride them. You can't have anything with you (phones / keys / wallets), not even in a zippered pocket. L.ockers are $1 for 2 hours or for $8 you can buy an all day l.ocker pass that lets you transfer things from locker to locker all day.

Thank you for answering my questions thus far, I guess i wonder how loose is loose... I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

There was also the chance I might not get to ride some of these due to my fatness, what is the test seat situation?

I saw the list that you gave me for Boldicus... he mentioned riding dark knight later on, but with lower capacity is it still a popular ride? How have the lines been for Justice League?

Onto passes... with the labor day pass sale, does anybody have a ball park figure what it cost them last year? (obviously, it would be a cheaper renewal... but I haven't had a six flags pass since 2006. Should I buy the pass online and will that give me the free parking if I have my paperwork with me? or do i get reimbursed when I process the pass if I buy it at the park. Why would a membership be a better option, coasterbill? And last, as I was looking on the SF website and didn't see it... how early do you get into the park? do they have rides open earlier, or do they just let you in early? Due to a budget, we won't be able to swing a flash pass, and there are rides we have done before (Chang, superman), so we can skip some.

I have a camera in a camera case that attaches to my belt, it's not going anywhere, my wife thought about a fanny pack for keys and camera, so I don't know if that's fine. I guess a lock er rental will have to happen if these aren't acceptable. I suppose umbrellas are allowed if it's raining, correct? I also wear glasses with a Cedar Point strap, are they okay?

There was also the chance I might not get to ride some of these due to my fatness, what is the test seat situation?

I saw the list that you gave me for Boldicus... he mentioned riding dark knight later on, but with lower capacity is it still a popular ride? How have the lines been for Justice League?

Onto passes... with the labor day pass sale, does anybody have a ball park figure what it cost them last year? (obviously, it would be a cheaper renewal... but I haven't had a six flags pass since 2006. Should I buy the pass online and will that give me the free parking if I have my paperwork with me? or do i get reimbursed when I process the pass if I buy it at the park. Why would a membership be a better option, coasterbill? And last, as I was looking on the SF website and didn't see it... how early do you get into the park? do they have rides open earlier, or do they just let you in early? Due to a budget, we won't be able to swing a flash pass, and there are rides we have done before (Chang, superman), so we can skip some.

Your camera will absolutely have to go in a locker for Ka Toro and Joker. They will also not let you on a ride w/ an umbrella. Glasses w strap should be OK but don't quote me on that. No fannypacks. They are hardcore about the loose articles at this park - especially Ka, Toro and Joker. Bring the least amount of sh*t into the park as possible.

Most if not all the coasters have a test seat out front. Toro is very unforgiving, many people are asked to do the walk of shame. You've been warned.

Dark Knight is a crap shoot. Sometimes it has a longer wait but sometimes there is randomly no wait at all. With Justice League practically right next door I'm not sure how much this has changed as I haven't been over to the park since Memorial Day, well before JLBFM opened. The thing with Dark Knight is the wait never feels completely awful thanks to the cool preshow, the best part of the ride. I'm not kidding. You can totally skip this ride. Half the themeing is broken and it just a mouse in a box. Its not terrible, but Skull Mountain has death metal and airtime and is much more worth your time. I can't speak for waits for Justice League but without FP if its nice out and crowded you'd be smart to hit these first. Tho I personally would use that time to get rides on Toro and Ka.

The reason he mentioned a membership is because you can spread the payments out over the course of a year. A non-membership you pay up front. If you buy online and bring the voucher you print out when buying the pass they will let you use it for the free parking, and then they'll give you your physical pass when you hit the turnstiles. No more pass processing. They do it all at the gate - takes a second.

Early entry for this park is a joke - they *sometimes* open the season pass holder line ten minutes early and I stress the "sometimes". And when they are feeling generous that 10 minutes only allows you to be the first rider at the ride of your choice that may or may not be opening with the park. Seriously - do not get hyped up for early entry.

*Oh! And edit: as far as cost - the last three years Ive bought my season pass outright (not membership) every September during the Labor Day sale and have paid on average around $65 each year. If you plan on going a bunch this/next year absolutely look into the dining plan. Considering the cost of food in the park, it pays for itself after 2-3 visits, and so far so good with it. I have yet to have any awful experiences using it (save for slow moving lines but I just move on and go to another place that accepts the plan).

Dark Knight may not have all that great of theming, but it still is a very good mouse coaster since it's mostly unbraked.

I haven't been on Justice League at Great Adventure, but the ride pulls pretty long lines at Over Texas and Great America. I'm guessing it may be the same at Great Adventure.

You know, I've warmed up to TDK over the years. When I first rode it I was not a serious enthusiast and had no idea what it was and came off like "uhhh that was just a wild mouse... lame" but I've ridden it a bunch since HITP and while a lot of the effects are busted, its still a very fun ride, and I particularly love the couple little drops toward the end as its really dark in that section and even though I know they are coming they always get me. The jumpscare at the end is always fun w/ people that haven't ridden. Its also been a nice warm pop-in during Batman/Nitro marathons @ HITP.

Dark Knight may not have all that great of theming, but it still is a very good mouse coaster since it's mostly unbraked.

I haven't been on Justice League at Great Adventure, but the ride pulls pretty long lines at Over Texas and Great America. I'm guessing it may be the same at Great Adventure.

When I went about a month ago, the wait was about 45min, and the queue moves SO SLOW!

You know, I've warmed up to TDK over the years. When I first rode it I was not a serious enthusiast and had no idea what it was and came off like "uhhh that was just a wild mouse... lame" but I've ridden it a bunch since HITP and while a lot of the effects are busted, its still a very fun ride, and I particularly love the couple little drops toward the end as its really dark in that section and even though I know they are coming they always get me. The jumpscare at the end is always fun w/ people that haven't ridden. Its also been a nice warm pop-in during Batman/Nitro marathons @ HITP.

I've never been to HITP, but for me, TDK was a fun little wild mouse. I love the restraints so much better, and the indoor element really gives another dimension. However, I can't find a specific theme to the coaster besides the Joker causing mayhem in Gotham, no story. I'd ride it again, definitely, but wouldn't wait too long for it. Nitro next door is so much better.

In all seriousness the first weekend or two in September after Labor Day is typically not too bad.

The weekends after Fright Fest (first 2-3 weeks of November) are "bonus" weekends before HITP starts around Thanksgiving and those weekends are awesome tho Frontier (Bizarro, SORA, Mine Train) is closed. But the last two years crowds have been minimal and its been a good opportunity to get last rides with very little waits on Ka, Toro, Zum, etc before HITP starts.

Furthermore, I highly recommend checking out HITP - its been a fantastic event and Nitro, Batman, Joker, Superman, Dark Knight, Skull Mountain, Skyride, Skyscreamer, a ton of flats etc are all open. I'm certain Justice League will be open this year as well. And the crowds are almost always manageable since the event attracts more families keeping the large coasters lines small.

I personally avoid the park completely between late September - Halloween.