TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Why are we even talking about Fright Fest when we have HITP?

Seriously, just avoid the park during the month of October. It's one month. The weekends in September between Labor Day and the start of FF normally aren't too bad, and the "bonus" weekends in November after the event ends have been great for low crowds. The only times I have been to the park for Fright Fest have been on a random Friday night when it was raining and we still had to get Flash Pass (Gold got the job done but it was still crowded enough to have to treat ourselves), and when I have gone first thing in the morning, gotten a few rides, and bounced.

There is a reason so many people are agreeing on avoiding the place during FF - it truly does suck. If you are in the area and want a better Haunt just go to Dorney, if you want to ride stuff without long waits (and no Halloween stuff) go to Hershey.

Hi everybody!

I just got back from a two day trip to the park. We live out of state so we go down and stay overnight and do two days. This year we brought three of my daughter's friends. Two were newbies to the park and they loved it. We were there Sunday 6/25 and Monday 6/26. Sunday was packed it was BFF day and various groups. Monday was nice and low crowds. We took all the kids on Ka and Zumanjaro and one of them liked them the other did not. The next day he wanted to ride Ka again and I was shocked it was only a 15 minute wait like early afternoon. I told him go ahead. Unfortunately nobody wanted to ride with him. We find Ka very jostling and can only do it once during a visit. He was actually able to ride it twice that day both with 15 minute waits. Security was there checking for stuff in pockets. It was the only ride on Monday handing out the vouchers to show that you didn't skip the line. We didn't see it on any other ride.

El Torro was down on Sunday till late afternoon then opened up we only rode it once. On Monday it was fine. Security was there checking pockets for stuff. We were able to walk right on Monday most of the day. JLBM had the biggest line but we were able to ride it. I really like this dark ride. There were only two parts chasing down a street that got me a little dizzy. Overall I think it is a great ride, it did have minor technical problems but came back up quick. I am glad that 6 flags is going in this direction I think it is a nice addition. We decided to wait in the gift shop for JLBM after we got up to the entrance and told it was down. I went over to where the ride exits and you can see in. I was able to watch and like 5 minutes later the ride went back up. We darted out of the store and got in line. A lot of people left the line and didn't know it reopened. If you have time and want to wait it was a good way to find out quick it was up again. I agree they need to build that area up it really is a nice section of the park.

It was a nice visit also because all the rides were running at some point both days so we didn't have to miss anything. The kids enjoyed the Safari and the animal feedings. I think that is a really neat activity.

We skipped the joker we have it in our park. Nitro (which is our fave) we were able to ride multiple times. It did break down a couple of times but came back up quickly. Out of my group I am the one who likes Bizzaro the best. I have no problems on that ride but nobody else wanted to ride again so I didn't. I don't like to ride them by myself I would rather skip it. Skull mountain was good, like the back for that ride. We rode the sky ride multiple times I really enjoy this one.

I haven't learned my lesson with GA Cafe, that place is mobbed all the time for the funnel cakes. I swear sometimes the food lines are longer than the rides. We do have the premium dining plan so we can use at there and our home park. I still think it is a great deal but a headache sometimes.

Part of the group (not me or my daughter) rode Superman and it was a long wait and they just didn't care about doing it again. It was frustrating because on Sunday with the park so crowded they only had the one train running for a long time.

The gates did open up to passholders maybe about 10 minutes before. It is a little bit of a help to get ahead of the crowds. We arrive about 9:50 to get as close to the front as possible.

Overall we had a great trip and the kids loved the park. It is so much bigger than ours. We told them we will take them for FF, however I know to go the first weekend or second otherwise it is jammed. I don't mind doing it in September we have before and it was okay. We will probably take them back for Holiday.

Might be a dumb question but generally how are July 4th crowds? Is it hit or miss?

I have done Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg (Free Lee Greenwood concert!) and Kennywood on the 4th and have come to expect theme parks to be rather empty on the 4th with people with friends and families at BBQs and parades and stuff. If the park has fireworks that would be when crowds start to filter in.

Probably the wrong thread, but I should clarify that Wildwater Kingdom DOES get long lines. Dorney's dry park has no lines to speak of but the same can't be said for Wildwater Kingdom.

Like Hurricane Harbor, you can buy a skip the line pass for Wildwater Kingdom. You can also buy an all season Fastlane Plus for $125. Hurricane Harbor's skip the line pass is cheaper if you only pay for a single day. The one at Dorney also works in the dry park, but this is of course an entirely useless feature as every ride in the dry park will have a zero minute wait all day long except for Thunder Canyon which is basically Hurricane Harbor anyway.

Probably the wrong thread, but I should clarify that Wildwater Kingdom DOES get long lines. Dorney's dry park has no lines to speak of but the same can't be said for Wildwater Kingdom.

Like Hurricane Harbor, you can buy a skip the line pass for Wildwater Kingdom. You can also buy an all season Fastlane Plus for $125. Hurricane Harbor's skip the line pass is cheaper if you only pay for a single day. The one at Dorney also works in the dry park, but this is of course an entirely useless feature as every ride in the dry park will have a zero minute wait all day long except for Thunder Canyon which is basically Hurricane Harbor anyway.

Hm. I'll look into the line pass at Dorney. Their water park looks to be a tad larger, with two wave pools and 2 lazy rivers, which should suck up people.

Id ask about the ride quality of the slides, but I dont think anyone on this website goes for the water parks

I noticed they have a Freefall, which is one of my all-time favorite rides, and Six Flags in their infinite knowledge decided to close theirs. That might be worth the trip alone

Wildwater Kingdom is worlds beyond Hurricane Harbor unless you are all about gimmick slides (funnel, bowl, etc.). In that case, Hurricane Harbor is more up your alley.

WWK has a ton of different slide towers, a good mix of body and tube slides, and as you saw, two wave pools and two lazy rivers. That said, on a hot weekend day the lines can get a little nuts, but weekdays or slightly overcast days should be just fine. You also get the bonus of no-line rides on some pretty decent coasters after you're done at the water park, and the splash-boat and river-rapids ride (and to a lesser extent the super-awesome log flume) are right by WWK so you can stay in your swimwear for them.

Wildwater Kingdom is worlds beyond Hurricane Harbor unless you are all about gimmick slides (funnel, bowl, etc.). In that case, Hurricane Harbor is more up your alley.

WWK has a ton of different slide towers, a good mix of body and tube slides, and as you saw, two wave pools and two lazy rivers. That said, on a hot weekend day the lines can get a little nuts, but weekdays or slightly overcast days should be just fine. You also get the bonus of no-line rides on some pretty decent coasters after you're done at the water park, and the splash-boat and river-rapids ride (and to a lesser extent the super-awesome log flume) are right by WWK so you can stay in your swimwear for them.

My favorite water park slides are actually the highest capacity ones, like the mat rides where no one is controlling when you go, and you just wait 3 seconds for the person in front of you to clear the first turn.

I find nothing worse than standing in 90 degree heat, barefoot, for 30 minutes, for the luxury of climbing 500 stairs to access a 16 second slide.

Glad to here the logs and rapids are nearby. I never ride them at Six Flags because I dont want a wet butt all day.

Here's my PTR for June 26, 2017.

I meant to post my trip report a few days ago, but I've been busy with other matters. My mother and I left our house in Long Island at about 7:45 AM but we didn't actually get to the park until around noon because of the insane NYC traffic. As soon as we entered, we headed straight to the new Justice League ride. Unfortunately, I expected the old entrance to the former Old Country area to be opened up since it leads right to the new ride, but it was not. So we walked the longer way to the ride from Movietown and waited about 20 minutes for the ride, but there was so much going on in the queue (i.e. the Cyborg animatronic) that it felt faster than it actually was. I even ended up getting the high score out of everyone in our car!

After that, we had some lunch then headed for Nitro, which was a 25 minute wait with three trains running. After another ride on Nitro, we rode Swashbuckler (which has a new sign) and The Joker. Next, we headed towards the Big Wheel, which only had an approx. 15 minute wait. After a quick snack, my mother decided to rest in the car, while I headed toward the other side of the park. I ended up riding Bizarro (which had a 15 minute wait), El Toro (a 20 minute wait), and El Diablo (5 minutes). I didn't feel like going on Ka or Zumanjaro because I heard from someone else that it was an hour wait for both. I finished off the day with a walk-on Twister, the Parachutes (which had 3/4 of the sides open) and the Green Lantern, which now had a painted-on version of Paralax before the yellow loop instead of the 3D sign that was removed a few years ago. We left the park around 6:00 and ate dinner at Dairy Queen, since they don't exist near where I live.

Overall, it was a successful day and I was able to ride plenty of rides for a summer day, including the new ride. 5 out of 6 Flags.

Pictures will be posted later.

Photos:

I wish this place was in the season pass meal plan.

[imghttp://i.imgur.com/NEptlvn.jpg][/img]

Still no Batmobile!

Thanks for reading!

Heading to the park later today with my sister! Her first time there! Is there any early entry time for Six Flags pass holders? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to riding the bull like it's my job today!

Heading to the park later today with my sister! Her first time there! Is there any early entry time for Six Flags pass holders? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to riding the bull like it's my job today!

Gold Pass holders are supposed to be able to enter 10 minutes early, rides don't open early so it just allows you to get to a ride entrance before everyone else. Whether they actually let pass holders in early seems to be random. The last few times I have gotten to the park before opening (not this year), they didn't let anyone in early.

^^ Is that coaster car photo op setup an old Rolling Thunder car?

Yes.

What Yoshi said.

Well, another trip. I won free tickets to Morey's Piers for early-to-mid August (probably gonna get the credits in an hour and leave), but the real highlight of the trip will be Great Adventure. I'm going to be going on Sunday, August 13th. What is the best strategy to hit every coaster without a flash pass, and best restaurants for meals?