TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

^ Hopefully you plan to stay until after dark, because Nitro is the best night ride in the park, without question.

Im so conflicted..i want to do bizzaro, el toro, and now nitro at night. I go this thurs, the park closes at 8, will it even be dark enough by then for a good "night ride"? So little time and so much to do.

It won't really be dark enough by then to really enjoy a night ride on any of them. I'd just end your night at Toro. It really has to be dark to truly appreciate Nitro. That won't happen before 8. If it's clear or if there is a good sunset I recommend Nitro Toro or Zum.

Went on Friday and it was a fantastic decision.

Kingda Ka would have been a 20 minute wait, but it broke (twice). Hour wait.

Toro? After riding we pulled into the station....and literally not a single person was waiting. Not one. Nobody got off and we went again.

Superman? We rode with 3 other people total.

Drop of Doom VR was great actually. Glad I could experience.

The set has been setting a bit after 8pm in Philly, so you're not going to get any true night rides. Zumanjaro faces west, so that could be a nice ride if there is a sunset worth seeing.

I've ridden Bizarro at night and wasn't particularly impressed, so if you get back for true night rides, that should be prioritized below Nitro and El Toro. The fireball on Bizarro seems like it would be cool at night, but I wasn't blown away. Nitro has this awesome feel where you're away from everything. It isn't like the Beast or Boulder Dash where you romp through the woods, but you do spend a lot of the ride away from the bright lights of the main parts of the park. I think, though, that the best night ride there is El Toro. The first drop is covered in the support structure of other parts of the ride, so when you ride at night, it's like you're being ripped over the top of the drop and pulled down into oblivion.

Went on Friday and it was a fantastic decision.
Lucky you. I was debating if I wanted to go coastering Friday and ultimately decided against it. I was torn between Great Adventure and Hershey. Throughout the day, I was looking at wait times on the Hersheypark app, and the Intamins were all over 90 minutes. Fahrenheit and Storm Runner were over two hours. I figured that Six Flags would have been about the same or probably more crowded than Hershey was. Oops.

i feel Nitro is the best to ride right at sunset. Since you're traveling west on each of the ride's highest points, it gives you a great view of the sunset, especially if you're given a partly cloudy or sunny day.

I got gorgeous sunset ride on Nitro but also rode it the first time at night which was awesome and slightly scary -- did that when I got into town on Sat. so I could end the Sunday on the other side of the park. I know that if I have the choice, I don't even bother with Apollo's Chariot until after dark. The B&M hypers can really use that extra edge to go from underwhelming to great. But the lake makes for great sunset so Nitro has that too.

I'm telling ya I'm a back seat Nitro rider all the way (back right side is the best) but goddamn if that front seat ride Saturday wasn't the best ride I had all day. Holy sh*t balls I've never gotten airtime like that from Nitro. Still buzzing about that ride.

Yeah, I was at the park for physics day a few weeks ago. We didn't ride much since it was crowded, but it was worth going since we got to skip school. We did ride Nitro though, and it had such amazing airtime, and the bunny hills at the end were borderline ejector hills. It really flew through the turns too. Nitro is always fantastic in hot weather, but this year it's really something!

Went Thursday 5/25 for my second third time this year, place was dead, then literally a ghost town after 3 when school groups left. Had the kids with me so no big rides but could see they were empty. Only 5 people on Toro at times. We marathoner the mine train for 15 consecutive times being only riders. Kids loved it, hope they don't get spoiled with the rerides. Easily a 50+ ride day.

The second time I went was 5/11 and was dead then as well. Will mark these dates in calendar for next year for sure!!

IMG_3624.thumb.JPG.60e3729fc99ef93f16ebedc2c4ca7133.JPG

Midway back to frontier.

IMG_3625.thumb.JPG.7b4d2245b70a74a0ee9e811fb2e77f54.JPG

Main games midway.

Great report Boldikus. I don't know how I missed it. Yeah, Nitro is definitely a back seat ride but the front is cool every once in awhile. It's really weird getting airtime on that huge swooping turn immediately following the first drop.

Thanks, broski! And yes. That turned hill, the giant camelback after that and then the smaller camelback after the hammerhead - all seriously almost f*cked up ejector. The bunnyhops were giving also. Wasn't my first time ever sitting up there, just had been a while and never when we were flying like that. So awesome.

Just had another amazing day at this park. The ride ops here are industry professionals compared to Carowinds and Kings Dominion in prior days. And both nights they sent an extra dispatch on El Toro and Nitro to close the night. Love this park.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've ridden Nitro several times every year for at least ten years, and I've finally figured out what I like so much about that first hill.

It starts off as floater air and then turns sideways. I always expect to fall to my left, but I don't. I'm on my side wondering when I'm going to slide that way, but I never do! It's a very well executed combination of force and visual.

^ That hill, and the turned hill before the helix, are precisely the reasons why I prefer the *right* side of the back row. In addition the yank of floater you get on any hill throughout while sitting in the rear, on those two hills you get yanked to the right as the train careens to the left, and I find it to be much more pronounced on the right side of the train.

Told yall SF wasn't done with the VR.

BOOM.

Mack has experimented with VR on flat rides, such as a swinging ship. Is this something Six Flags is considering?

We’re currently not looking at flat rides, but we are considering other opportunities, including walk-through attractions.

Is Six Flags considering VR coasters for its upcoming parks in the Middle East and China?

It’s my understanding that some VR is being looked at for overseas.

What are some of the improvements you’re looking at for the future?

We want more interactivity. We’ll give people the opportunity to change their avatars. Our guests will be able to record their info on a RF chip. The VR experiences will become more social, more interactive. The more we can change the games, the more opportunities will be available. There are a lot of opportunities to link with cell phones that we’re considering.

At this rate Six Flags should start looking into their own version of a Disney Quest for all their VR attractions.

It's definitely not impossible considering Six Flags opened that random barber shop a few years back.

About to head in for the first time today. Thanks again to Boldikus for his humorous guide he made recently (page 1700).

I just have a few last minute questions: What time do they allow lined up cars into the property, and do they stop single riders from riding alone in the back seat like SFOT?

...do they stop single riders from riding alone in the back seat like SFOT?

I don't believe they do- at least this wasn't the case the last time I visited. It would certainly put a damper on my upcoming visit if this has changed...

I assume we're talking about Toro? I've never had an issue riding in the back as a single rider. Also, I never sit in the very back anyway, the magic seat is second from last.

So I visited the park today for my first time ever. It was our first stop on a park road trip out on the east coast and it was a blast! Gotta admit I was a little worried when we arrived around 10:15 am and there were hoards of school kids coming in, but lines weren't bad at all. We waited about 45 minutes for Kingda Ka but pretty much walked onto everything else. The only other Six Flags park I've been to is Magic Mountain (my home park) and I've gotta admit I enjoyed Nitro and El Toro more than anything there except maybe Twisted Colossus! The park was also really beautiful with bodies of water and trees EVERYWHERE! SO. MANY. TREES. I loved the view at the top of every coaster!!! I also enjoyed Bizarro a LOT more than Scream as I did not feel any rattle whatsoever. El Toro blew me away both in the front and the back, and I think I liked my front row ride on Nitro more than the back. I felt similar airtime in both rows but the front row felt like I was flying across the track and above the trees! That view on the airtime hill before the hammerhead was incredible! Kingda Ka was also an insane experience. I wish we could've gotten on more than once but I'll be riding Dragster next week so I'm not that upset.

Overall it was a fantastic day at the park. Beautiful weather and a wonderful coaster collection. I've been looking at pictures and videos of all the coasters I'm going to be riding on this trip for almost 10 years now and it feels so surreal that I've finally left the So Cal bubble and am visiting all these parks, making my 14 year old self's dreams come true. I hope I'll get to go back to Great Adventure someday!

Also shoutout to coasterbill and boldikus for posting detailed guides to the park some pages back. It definitely helped with today!

Final ride count:

1. Kingda Ka

2. Zumanjaro

3. Superman

4. Green Lantern

5. El Toro (x6)

6. Mine Ride

7. Bizarro (x2)

8. The Log Ride

9. Skull Mountain

10. Congo Rapids

11. Nitro (x2)

12. Batman

13. The Dark Knight Coaster

14. Houdini's Great Escape (what a surprise this was!)

Also shoutout to coasterbill and boldikus for posting detailed guides to the park some pages back. It definitely helped with today!

No problem at all. Sounds like a you had a great day!