TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I feel like those comments are directed at me for some reason lol -- that is pretty amazing though and once again Bill is frickin right. Getting super excited for tomorrow!!!! I forgot the NJ/SF rules do they let you carry around your spiked cider or do you have to drink in a designated area? I got my $10 bills ready! :-P

Honestly if it didn't valley in 34 degree weather on the first run of the day (without water dummies I'd assume - Only ride in the park I /know/ tests with water dummies in cold weather is Toro) it's not going to valley. That's some /serious/ cold to be running a Hyper in! Major props to Six Flags on that.

Nitro is going to valley eventually during HITP but based on what I can tell it's a wind issue not a temperature issue. If it's 25 degrees with light and variable winds it's fine, if it's 40 degrees with 40 MPH winds (which happens a lot during HITP) then look to the woods and watch the fun.

Honestly, I feel like as an enthusiast if you get to HITP on a windy day at opening you have a moral obligation to go to Nitro, find a seat and stay in it until the station fills up. Once the ride gets warmed up it can run in anything, but for the first hour or so of the day it can be quite an adventure so they need as many people in those trains as they can get.

And sorry for the double post but if anyone was planning on going today to help them break the Guinness world record of couples kissing under the mistletoe, please note that they're no longer accepting new couples because they "have enough already" so they're turning people away. I guess they want to break the record, but only barely.

PS: Oh and despite what Coaster Queue says, all coasters are open today despite the low temperatures, not that there was ever any doubt.

I've got to side with Satans Hockey on this one, riding Nitro sounds like way more fun than sitting at home. Winter sucks so go ride Nitro and pretend winter isn't happening. It makes it all better.

Nitro was awesome, I'm glad I wore some gloves though, my hands were still cold but I loved it haha

About the record...

This is a major fail for the park pr wise. They have a set limit for the amount of couples for the record. Lots of unhappy people on line now. I don't complain about the park much but this is just silly. They should have announced the amount of couples in advance that they needed. Now they have people waiting in a line that are going to be unhappy. Silly when this could have been easily avoided.

I see on coasterqueue all the coasters are closed. Did it finally get too cold or has nobody updated it. It's only saying 32 and I know I rode nitro at 32 last year. Just on the fence about going tomorrow cause I won't be able to get there until around 4.

Everything is still open as of this very second

I honestly don't expect anything to close unless there's a mechanical problem. It's Great Adventure, they don't care.

Also, this is really random and you may or may not know who I'm talking about but now I have to share even though nobody cares. I always had this really weird suspicion that you "anonymouscactus" were Drew the Intern from In the Loop. I don't know why I thought that, and a while ago I figured that was totally wrong... but it's funny that you posted a picture since you sort of resemble him.

Anyway, that's all. Carry on. And you're welcome. lol

The only shot I have without me or my fiancé in it... memorizing, I know...

My quick report:

A balmy 20-something degrees and everything was open! Yay!

Spiked cider! ($10) Yay!

Houdini! Yay!

Finally got to ride the green side of the Joker. Clearly superior especially the first guaranteed flip in the front. Purple didn't flip at all for us once again. The waffle cart (~$11) was awesome including the real good PREMIUM hot chocolate they served there (~5$). Rode all the open coasters except for Green Lantern since i consider myself a smart human being -- Longest wait was Joker at 5 minutes... though I didn't get to 'von roll' my way across the park since we had to head out a little early.

Was impressed yet again by Six Flags and I'm really happy I made the long trip. Not sure how they make enough money to stay afloat, though I will say the midways seemed a bit more crowded as we were heading out.

Now we just need some of the other Christmas parks up here to bend the rules and actually open some damn rides!

Oh, and what's with those creepy ass burnt gingerbread people!?

Not sure how they make enough money to stay afloat, though I will say the midways seemed a bit more crowded as we were heading out.

Holiday in the Park is weird. The first few hours of the day are always dead (though this is true of most operating days) but people come out in droves to see the lights. A lot of times if you're on the main stretch between Big Wheel and the Carousel it's hard to walk because of all the people but the coaster lines are always manageable. I'm sure Nitro still gives more rides during the event than any of the others but there's a shift towards family rides and attractions since it's such a family event. Seriously, you'll never see that many strollers at Great Adventure during the regular season.

To be honest, I'm sure the park would rather see this demographic than the usual demographic because families with kids spend a lot of money in the park. The cold weather also forces people into arcades, food locations and gift shops which is a nice added bonus too.

If you want to know how successful the event is, don't look at the empty rows on Batman, look at the enormous food line at Granny's around 7 PM, or the number of people walking around with souvenir hot chocolate mugs / cheap flashing, glowing souvenirs.

Actually, this is the coldest weekend in HITP history and I'm thrilled to see the results. The crowd levels seem very strong and the park has forged ahead with their "keep calm and dispatch on" weather policy so I love everything I'm seeing from the park this weekend.

Funny enough i actually worked with Drew for a few years, but alas I am not him... lol.

I was staying anonymous since I worked in the industry for much of my life but I left it a few years back so now I don't give a crap.

Awesome! That sort of explains it then, I could tell you were an industry guy.

The crowd levels seem very strong and the park has forged ahead with their "keep calm and dispatch on" weather policy so I love everything I'm seeing from the park this weekend.

"Keep calm and dispatch" is a much more comforting name for the park's approach than "we don't care about manufacturers suggestions"

Edited by larrygator

I see on coasterqueue all the coasters are closed. Did it finally get too cold or has nobody updated it. It's only saying 32 and I know I rode nitro at 32 last year. Just on the fence about going tomorrow cause I won't be able to get there until around 4.

Being from Southern California, just the thought of riding something like Nitro at 32 degrees shivers me timbers.

Being from Southern California, just the thought of riding something like Nitro at 32 degrees shivers me timbers.

Coasterqueue does that a lot. If you see Skull Mountain and Dark Knight closed then you know the problem is with Coasterqueue and not Great Adventure.

The crowd levels seem very strong and the park has forged ahead with their "keep calm and dispatch on" weather policy so I love everything I'm seeing from the park this weekend.

"Keep calm and dispatch" is a much more comforting name for the park's approach than "we don't care about manufacturers suggestions"

Agreed. I'm trying to keep everything as merry and holly jolly as possible during Holiday in the Park. It's festive.

It's really not like you would think it would be. It's actually pretty awesome and it makes it feel like the coaster is going a million miles an hour even though it's usually running slightly slower than normal (unless it's Batman of course). You're more focused on the coaster than the temperature. Strangely, if you ride something like Sky Screamer you REALLY feel the cold. On Nitro you don't care at all.

Coasterqueue does that a lot. If you see Skull Mountain and Dark Knight closed then you know the problem is with Coasterqueue and not Great Adventure.

Agreed. I'm trying to keep everything as merry and holly jolly as possible during Holiday in the Park. It's festive.

It's really not like you would think it would be. It's actually pretty awesome and it makes it feel like the coaster is going a million miles an hour even though it's usually running slightly slower than normal (unless it's Batman of course). You're more focused on the coaster than the temperature. Strangely, if you ride something like Sky Screamer you REALLY feel the cold. On Nitro you don't care at all.

I may just be traumatized, a couple years ago we rode MF in freezing temps after it just had rained. It was probably in the low 50s, lets just say I couldn't feel my face like The Weekend for like 30 mins.