TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

See, so for this season to add to the awesomeness from last year, they're adding Joker, Harley Quinn, Skyway and a celebrity appearance from Millennium Force's #1 ride op. How could you miss out on an event like that?

Plus those waffles and

Thanks for the compliment Bill! On a side note I'll have a small TR coming from my visit hopefully before the weekend is over.

So, completely off-topic, but just thought I'd share

I'm in the middle of college applications right now, and my first-choice school I'm applying early decision to is Brown University. I made a bet with my mother where, if I get into Brown University, she has to ride a big roller coaster. She can't stand anything bigger than a Wild Mouse or Arrow Mine Train, so I've decided to take her on Nitro when we make our trip to Great Adventure over the summer. Any other suggestions in the Northeast? Has to be less than 300 feet tall with no inversions.

So, completely off-topic, but just thought I'd share

I'm in the middle of college applications right now, and my first-choice school I'm applying early decision to is Brown University. I made a bet with my mother where, if I get into Brown University, she has to ride a big roller coaster. She can't stand anything bigger than a Wild Mouse or Arrow Mine Train, so I've decided to take her on Nitro when we make our trip to Great Adventure over the summer. Any other suggestions in the Northeast? Has to be less than 300 feet tall with no inversions.

There are really 2 routes you could take here. Nitro is a great idea because she might actually like it. It's mostly forceless, has fun floater air and would be very appealing to someone who's apprehensive about riding coasters. If she enjoys it, she might be willing to try some other large coasters. Phoenix at Knoebels would also be a spectacular choice if you want to go this route.

The other option is to go the a**hole route (which I might do). When I knew you were going to Great Adventure I was about to tell you to sit in row 1 of Kingda Ka and send your poor mother rocketing into the stratosphere at 120+ MPH. Sadly because of the 300 foot restriction that's not possible, so then you could do something like El Toro or Skyrush which would scar her for life and guarantee that she never rides another coaster again. The upside of course is that this would be completely hilarious.

So if you think there's a chance she might start liking larger coasters, take her on Nitro. If you know that won't happen and want to get the most bang for your buck, then do Skyrush or El Toro.

^^ LOL my first thought was El Toro but Skyrush really would push her over the edge (pun intended).

On the flip you could do Steel Forceless, aka the World's Largest Mine Train.

Steel Force is actually a great idea too if you want to ease her into something. Aside from the fact that the cars rock back and fourth on the lift for some reason and seem like they're attempting to tip over and dump everyone out, it's a pretty uneventful ride with a huge train and because of the combination of the huge train, seatbelts and lap bar you feel much more restrained than you do on Nitro.

When I was trying to get Brit into coasters I started at Lake Compounce since Boulder Dash (despite the actual drop height and speed) is never more than a few feet off of the ground. After that Dorney was our next stop for all the reasons I just mentioned. She was terrified of Nitro because of the minimal restraints.

PS: Whatever you ride, make sure it has an on-ride photo. You'll want to go ahead and buy that.

Anyone going Saturday. Last two weeks of Toro and Ka.

(If I don't have to work on Saturday) . . . yeah, I'll be trekking 166 miles from Columbia, MD.

And I MAY consider getting Flash Pass (Platinum) . . . dunno how busy it'll be, but . . . you never know

If you are there at opening go right to Toro/Ka and then hit up everything else after you probably won't need a FP at all. Toro is always quiet in the morning, so much so its like your own personal ERT (everyone runs to Superman, Ka, and now Joker).

These are "off" weekends because its between Fright Fest and HITP. If it does wind up being nice weather and its even moderately busy you can easily get the job done with a gold FP. Just make sure to reserve your next ride the second the FP attendant scans you in, don't wait til after your ride. By the time you get to your next ride you shouldn't have to wait. I'm with Bill, these next two weekends should be quiet. But aim to arrive for opening.

Also in case everyone is not aware (tho I think someone posted it) Frontier is already closed for the season so no Mine Train, Bizarro, etc

^ HITP runs through the first weekend of January. See yall there! #closingdayNitromarathoncruwhereyouat?

edit: I just noticed closing day is Monday. WTH? For real though that Sunday (New Years Day) is gonna be the move. Went last year on New Years Day and it was 30 degree and EMPTY. Because everyone is hungover as a mutherf**ker after NYE they ain't gonna have time for no coasters.

If you are there at opening go right to Toro/Ka and then hit up everything else after you probably won't need a FP at all. Toro is always quiet in the morning, so much so its like your own personal ERT (everyone runs to Superman, Ka, and now Joker).

These are "off" weekends because its between Fright Fest and HITP. If it does wind up being nice weather and its even moderately busy you can easily get the job done with a gold FP. Just make sure to reserve your next ride the second the FP attendant scans you in, don't wait til after your ride. By the time you get to your next ride you shouldn't have to wait. I'm with Bill, these next two weekends should be quiet. But aim to arrive for opening.

Also in case everyone is not aware (tho I think someone posted it) Frontier is already closed for the season so no Mine Train, Bizarro, etc

Thanks for the tip. Didn't know until you said so that Frontier is closed . . . but I was able to do Bizarro back in June when I went.

I know on Saturday it opens at 11 am . . . and I'll likely leave home no later than 7:30 am (I'd rather give myself more time than I really need . . )

So does this park stay open year round? I saw there were hours posted into January.

No, they close for the season after January 2nd. Starting on November 19th they do their Holiday in the Park event celebrating the most holy time of year. This is a New Jersey tradition where we celebrate the birth of the savior by entering a whimsical mountain adorned with a skull bleeding out of it's eyes covered in glittering lights to ride a coaster while listening to the timeless holiday death metal inside (as Jesus would have wanted). Then we power ride an 80 MPH hypercoaster on 29 degree nights for hours upon hours as a sign of respect for the forgiveness of sins or something.

Then we gorge ourselves on waffles. Amen.

So does this park stay open year round? I saw there were hours posted into January.

No, they close for the season after January 2nd. Starting on November 19th they do their Holiday in the Park event celebrating the most holy time of year. This is a New Jersey tradition where we celebrate the birth of the savior by entering a whimsical mountain adorned with a skull bleeding out of it's eyes covered in glittering lights to ride a coaster while listening to the timeless holiday death metal inside (as Jesus would have wanted). Then we power ride an 80 MPH hypercoaster on 29 degree nights for hours upon hours as a sign of respect for the forgiveness of sins or something.

And let us say a blessing to the Coaster gods of B&M, Intamin, S&S Worldwide