TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Guys, any tips on getting here from NYC with public transportation?

I'm planning a trip next year in May to visit NYC with my wife and want to visit the park. The only reason i would rent a car is for this park but that seems like a waste but i can't find good info regarding public transportation (how long it takes, where to step-up etc.)

I'm coming from The Netherlands so excuse my english but if you guys have any tips that would be great!

Edited by BenBlom

Park was good this weekend. Super crowded with long lines, but staff was friendly and rides were running great. Got a couple good laps on Kingda Ka, Dark Knight, and Nitro early on, then did shows and flats rest of the day. Joker had 45 min wait all day it seemed so I skipped that, but did try the Harley Quinn coaster.

Had dinner at Macho Nacho and it was like a fiesta in my throat, so spicy but so good!

The Looney Tune character Halloween outfits were precious.

Guys, any tips on getting here from NYC with public transportation?

I'm planning a trip next year in May to visit NYC with my wife and want to visit the park. The only reason i would rent a car is for this park but that seems like a waste but i can't find good info regarding public transportation (how long it takes, where to step-up etc.)

I'm coming from The Netherlands so excuse my english but if you guys have any tips that would be great!

The bus (linked above) is reliable but it gets you there after the park opens and you have to leave before it closes. If you want a full day (get there before open, leave after close), then a car rental isnt a bad option. Should run you ~$60 for the day (plus parking).

Park was good this weekend. Super crowded with long lines, but staff was friendly and rides were running great. Got a couple good laps on Kingda Ka, Dark Knight, and Nitro early on, then did shows and flats rest of the day. Had dinner at Macho Nacho and it was like a fiesta in my throat, so spicy but so good!

"It was like a fiesta in my throat" has me cracking up! I saw The Awakening and then Dead Man's Party or whatever they called it. Thought the Dead Man show was excellent but holy crap some of the firework bangs were outrageously loud. The actors did a really nice job and the costumes were great. I had no idea they were actually singing, for at least some of the songs, until close to the end.

Off topic but I had this completely random pipe dream (literally, if you catch my drift) last night about how they are running the Skyway during HITP, but I think we can safely assume it'll be a round trip since they likely won't have Frontier open. How cool would it be if they ran both sides and themed it as a trip to the North Pole? And decorated the Fort since everything else over there would be dark? Like Santa and Reindeer on the top of it, with the whole Fort covered in lights? How cool would that be?

Fat chance I know but if it happens I CALLED IT.

I honestly had the same thought. They could easily enclose the fort (it's enclosed except for that narrow path near the vending machine) and make it pretty immersive with minimal effort. It kind of opens up the possibility of running Mine Train but not really since it's operation is then dependent on wind conditions. Honestly the fact that Skyway is dependent on weather kind of makes a round trip journey a necessity because if you have a group of people in the fort and the ride goes down for wind they would need to walk them through a bunch of closed areas back to the HITP section. If it's a round trip journey they would just send them back anyway and then shut it down once everyone is back on the other side.

Off topic but I had this completely random pipe dream (literally, if you catch my drift) last night about how they are running the Skyway during HITP, but I think we can safely assume it'll be a round trip since they likely won't have Frontier open. How cool would it be if they ran both sides and themed it as a trip to the North Pole? And decorated the Fort since everything else over there would be dark? Like Santa and Reindeer on the top of it, with the whole Fort covered in lights? How cool would that be?

Fat chance I know but if it happens I CALLED IT.

I know its not happening but if you're going to open the Mine Train they might as well open Bizzaro too.

Yeah but they're not going to want to staff those rides... especially because if there's ever a strong gust of wind they all need to go down, they'll be paying staff to stand around and do nothing and they need to usher people back through the closed section of the park. I'd love it too and I know you referenced the fact that it won't happen but it really would require them to open / staff and decorate the pathway from the Boardwalk to those rides.

I think if the event continues to be a success and crowds increase, and they decide to expand, its pretty much a given it will be the Frontier area, only because they are already rumored to be running the SKyway this year, they can obviously run Bizarro (and likely Runaway Mine Train since most of its speed is at the end of the ride) but also because they could staff the food and retail ($$$) between the boardwalk - the tents, and all those food places past there, over to the entrance to Frontier.

My hope is that eventually this event grows and more and more of the park opens but I don't really see it happening. Bizarro and Mine Train would probably run like champs in low temperatures, but at the same time they would have to do so much decorating to get back there and unless they want to staff the kids area they're the only rides back there that would run (I don't think my "Yule Log Flume" proposal really has legs despite my best efforts and I've been having to deal with a lot of red tape from negative Nancy's saying things like "that's stupid" and "water freezes at 32 degrees, dumbass".

If they were to expand that's the only way I see them doing it though. I don't see them ever expanding to El Toro because it probably needs more offseason work than a lot of other coasters and more importantly it runs like complete sh*t in cold temperatures until it warms up (like how it valleyed on opening day). Because of it's flat track design snow would probably also sit on it a lot longer than other coasters where it would melt off within hours (as evidenced in the Spring of 2014 when it was the only coaster that never opened due to snow). Golden Kingdom is way too easy to close and I'm sure nobody's in the mood to decorate that area or try to run 2 unreliable Intamin rides in freezing cold temperatures.

To be honest though I'm so thrilled to have Holiday in the Park in it's current form that I feel like anything else we get is a bonus. A few years ago if you told me that we could ride Nitro on 29 degree nights in January I would be jumping for joy. This event is seriously my favorite thing that Great Adventure has ever done, and they managed to cut what used to be an unbearably long offseason in the northeast down to 10 weeks or so (which could easily be split up with a flight down to Orlando at some point...lol). I'm just hoping the event gets more and more popular each year and they keep doing it forever.

Something I've noticed: how come Kingda Ka hasn't gotten the vest restraints yet?

Because Six Flags.

I really don't understand why there are not more Intamin Prefab woodies in the United States.

Because price. Wikipedia's wrong, El Toro was $25 million. It's been discussed every 100 pages or so on this thread.

Something I've noticed: how come Kingda Ka hasn't gotten the vest restraints yet?

Because Six Flags.

Because a coaster that doesn't make turns shouldn't need the vest restraints.

I was being sarcastic, but I agree. The problem with Kingda Ka aren't hard restraint OTSRs, it's that they aren't lap bars in the first place combined with what I imagine is poor train maintenance that allowed the launch to become so rough outside row 1.

I'm not from the USA but when i first experienced Kingda Ka back in june it was one of the craziest experiences ever!

Front is not rough at all indeed, back seat was a little shaky but wouldn't call it 'rough'. But then the coaster near my vicinity is Bandit @ Movie Park that wants to kill me....

In fact, one of the reasons i an returning to USA next year is this coaster, and El Toro ofcourse .