TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm pretty late to the party, but who thought this was a good idea?

I would never know about these things about jughandles, so thanks for posting all if this.

Anyways, back to Great Adventure...

New Jersey used to have dozens of traffic circles throughout the state (I think the highest total was somewhere in the low 100s). There aren't many left, but some still are out, including some with that design. For example, I live right down the street from the Route 38 / Church Road circle:

Untitled.png.83124cd98653e06c150feba3f085fcb1.png

You get used to it, but I always have to prep out-of-towners so they're ready for it.

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. What do you guys think?

October 12th is Yom Kippur. Public schools in most of NJ and all of NYC have school off.

Correct. Expect mild to moderate lines and the place should clear out in the early evening. El Toro's back to 2 train operation thankfully and knowing how they can chew through that line is the only thing that really matters, let's be honest. Several people on the forum happen to be going that day. See you there perhaps!

^^^The old 70/73 circle was the absolute worst. Kaighns and Church one is bad too but mostly because people don't know how to navigate it and end up just stopping or not entering the traffic flow. I remember the Berlin circle being bad a while back too but they've fixed that. On the other hand, I think the jug handle that you use to get to Wawa near GAdv is actually pretty helpful to traffic flow. A line of cars waiting to turn left at the light would definitely cause some backups.

Looking at next week, I see that the park is randomly open on Wednesday (Oct. 12th) during the week. What do you guys think?

October 12th is Yom Kippur. Public schools in most of NJ and all of NYC have school off.

Correct. Expect mild to moderate lines and the place should clear out in the early evening. El Toro's back to 2 train operation thankfully and knowing how they can chew through that line is the only thing that really matters, let's be honest. Several people on the forum happen to be going that day. See you there perhaps!

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm going since I expect it to be a mile day. At the very least I expect to get my 10+ laps on El Toro to start the day.

Oh... my... God

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

This (permanent?!?!?!?!?!) installation is now over in Movietown. We are never (ever ever) buying a stupid dining plan... like ever.

"Authentic Belgian Waffle with a French Touch"

So...not Belgian?

Oh... my... God

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

This (permanent?!?!?!?!?!) installation is now over in Movietown. We are never (ever ever) buying a stupid dining plan... like ever.

What does this have to do with the dining plan? The plan seems like a good deal and that place looks like a nice treat.

Six Flags dining plans typically limit the venues in which you can eat, and limit the menus at those venues too, in exchange for really cheap food. I love the dining plan (although CF does it better) because I have 3 kids and that way we can feed everyone for a reasonable price. Because of the limited choice, though, the food venues do tend to have long lines, so if you're willing to spend the money, you can get better service at a place like this waffle stand that's not on the dining plan. Well, you'll have shorter lines anyway.

A long time reader here, but have never posted before. As I've used this site for research, I wanted to post about a recent trip.

We just returned from six weeks in the US, which included quite a few parks - Cedar Point, Kings Island, Knotts, Busch Gardens Tampa, Disney's Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios; and Universal's IoA and Studios, as well as SFGA.

SFGA was new to us and we had a fantastic time, better than expected!

We took the bus from NYC for the day (Sunday, 18 Sept.), arriving before the park opened.

We didn't have Flash Passes, which weren't needed with all rides walk-on. We rode all (open) coasters multiple times and had the best day.

After reading about El Toro for a long time now, it was one of the two most anticipated coasters at the park for us and unfortunately it was closed all day.

Kingda Ka was closed when the park opened and I kept putting off a run over there to check if it was going to open, because after travelling 16,000 km, finding both closed was really killing me. We finally got there two hours after open and it literally opened the moment we arrived. We ran straight to the front row and wow. I thought my eyelids were going to turn inside out with the wind. It's impossible to keep a straight face! We rode it four times. The acceleration didn't feel as smooth as TTD, sorta like it jerked four times getting up to speed which was fine! Just a different feel to TTD.

We rode Joker first up, which is great on an empty stomach and completely cold to the forces of a coaster! With no lines, we rode twice, but the partner was bored by it so we moved on.

Bizarro was next and really fun. Super annoying slow load times even with four ride operators, with a half empty station, the third train was going through unloaded. I like the half attempt at theming the ride, much better than unpainted ex-car park you see at SFMM!

We were there, so meh, why not, we rode the Mine Train. Little bit surprising that it had a slight thrill! certainly better than similar at Cedar Point and Kings Island.

We still hadn't heard Toro, so wandered over to have our hearts broken properly - it wasn't going to run at all today.

Diablo was there, so on we jumped.

Around to Kingda Ka we gingerly walked, as we couldn't hear a peep from it. But as I said above, it started testing the moment we arrived and on we jumped. I live for this ride, my partner bears with me on it

Drop rides are more my partner's thing, so I thought we might make a quick side excursion to Zumanjaro. UM, why is there not a shuttle service out there!? hah

After the long walk back to civilisation, Green Lantern was next. We rode front row first and were shocked, our heads were not pummeled and walked off without a headache. That was saved for the next ride when we tried the back. Ouch. We came back later in the night to try the front and loved the intensity of the first inversion.

Superman was also a nice surprise. Obviously not as big as Tatsu, but at least the loading procedure wasn't as slow as Firehawk at Kings Island. It was fun though!

A quick stop for the Twister then a cross to the other side of the park.

Nitro was first and such a pleasant coaster. All that air time makes for a nice cool relief in the hot afternoon sun. After a few rides (and an interesting interaction with the man next to me with a thick Jersey accent: 'ISIS know not to fuck with you Australians!', um ok) the partner was getting sick of walking round in circles to reride so on we moved.

Batman is awesome! It doesn't really look like much, but it was super fun.

The poor mouse on Dark Knight has had all the 'wild' taken out of it, sad.

As Skull Mountain was closed, we rode a few more flat rides, then around the park we went again!

Can't wait to return next time we are in the US.

20160918_102545.thumb.jpg.fe6bd590c4af211794212f9e5e8a0704.jpg

Great view as you disembark the bus

20160918_130256.thumb.jpg.b14d21403280ce76cabd273126bebe76.jpg

Bizarro, in the middle front row, you get a little foot rest!

20160918_131807.thumb.jpg.8292f6855d4ec01597e02be7e122d648.jpg

It breaks the heart to travel so far, be so close, and not be able to ride.

20160918_144550.thumb.jpg.f714d9f7537cfe2a97d137718ed1d517.jpg

A few ibuprofen were popped post ride, but still had fun!

20160918_175239.thumb.jpg.c011122f3d5a63baca21053427449cc7.jpg

I just wish you could go round twice, it is over so fast.

20160918_195946.thumb.jpg.f7ba8bc5d77413c8d03dcb10cf2a4887.jpg

20160918_200233.thumb.jpg.47e4b447ab78617767343396bec94b08.jpg

IMG_20160919_100838.thumb.jpg.031972be881b37c5a8a07f29c271e297.jpg

Not the ride to take beautiful pics on...

How are the restraints on the Joker coaster? Will a big person be able to fit? I can fit on Kingda Ka but not Batman the Ride

They're a lot like Zumanjaro's restraints with a Gatekeeper style vest added on. They seem pretty accommodating but I'm no expert in that area. I haven't seen many people rejected from Joker though.

Had a great day at the park yesterday! It was my first fright fest.

Crowds - A little more than I expected, but very manageable. Tons of kids in the morning, teens in the evening.

Operations - Everything was open except Superman and the VR (but skull mountain was operating). This surprised me, I would have though VR was easier to do with less loads. Both Joker and Kinga Ka were closed in the morning but opened by 1pm. The sky buckets were only open on one side and had 30+ minute waits. Come on Six Flags, you can do better here. Theyre buckets.

Speaking of waits, this was the first time I learned about and used the app with wait times. I found it generally accurate in that 5 minutes = walk on. However, it promised us a 25 minute wait for Joker, which ended up being 60. It was eventually updated to say 70.

My day:

Went straight to Joker. Closed.

Went straight to Kinga Ka. Closed, but there were 50+ people waiting outside the line.

Went to the drop of doom for the first time. Holy crap is it far away. And why is the line so narrow? Really enjoyed the ride. Line was under 10 minutes, and even shorter when we were done. Could have ridden again and waited less than 5 minutes by GF didnt want to.

GF wanted Safari but wait time was already listed at 70 minutes.

Did Bizzaro, walked straight into the station, 1 group of 4 in front of us.

Went to El Toro, but line was 40+ minutes

Instead we watched the sea lion show. And apparently theres a lion next to the theater. Ive been to the park many times and never noticed...

Rode Twister, walk on.

Wanted Sky Buckets. Wait was too long.

Went to Joker. App said 25 minutes, was 60 minute wait. This was my first time. It was fun, but way too short. Would not wait more than 15 minutes for this in the future.

Went for lunch at Panda.

At this point it was 4pm. So we went to buy our maze write bands. 5 of the mazes were open. Wasteland and Voodoo were closed. I was shocked when the lady at the register said "that will be $17 (instead of $22), its discounted today because two mazes are closed"

SIX FLAGS OFFERING A DISCOUNT BECAUSE STUFF WAS CLOSED!?!?!

Ahem. If you plan on going tomorrow, those two will be closed as well.

We went to the Darkness. About a 30 minute wait. Very enjoyable experience, would recommend. Certainly a unique experience.

Then the Manor. Also about a 20 minute wait. Good set design. Would recommend.

GF wanted to see some shows. Went to see The Awakening + Dance Show. Eh. Not impressed. We left before it ended.

Went to see Slash a magic show. Pretty good. Would recommend. Would have been better in a smaller venue. Does take about 35 minutes though, which eats up valuable ride time.

At this point we ran to the car to grab jackets + gloves. Temperature was plunging.

Then did Cell Block 6 maze. Also around a 20 minute wait. Probably the weakest of the mazes.

Quick detour to Deja Vu (walk on)

Moved right along to the 3D clown maze. No line. Pretty cool. Would wait 15 minutes for this.

And then to the last open maze. Blood Shed. Maybe a 15 minute wait at this point. Felt like the longest, and creepy.

At this point it was 9:37. Unfortunately, the the entrance to Blood Shed is near El Toro, the exit is not. Walked very quickly to El Toro...

And it was a walk on! Not just a walk on, but a "you may stay in your seat if no one is in line" walk on.

Rode 3 times in a row. Could have gone 1 more time but didnt want to risk a headache before the drive home. The girls behind us rode 5 in a row.

Out of park by 10:15pm.

Tips: There is a fright fest specific map which is provided where they sell maze wristbands. You should grab it.

There was also a paper supplement for Monday and Wednesday as the show times are different than weekends, and the 2 mazes were closed. bring winter clothes for after dark!

Other rides I didnt go on:

Nitro advertised 70 minute waits all day until around 9pm when it said 25

Batman advertised 5 minutes all afternoon and raised to 25 in the evening.

Sky screamer said 25 all day

Green lantern: Didnt pay attention to

Safari was 70 all day, they need bigger vehicles

Skull went from 5-25 throughout the day

Batman indoor was 25 most of the time (lol, no, lol)

Had a great day at the park yesterday! It was my first fright fest.

Crowds - A little more than I expected, but very manageable. Tons of kids in the morning, teens in the evening.

Operations - Everything was open except Superman and the VR (but skull mountain was operating). This surprised me, I would have though VR was easier to do with less loads. Both Joker and Kinga Ka were closed in the morning but opened by 1pm. The sky buckets were only open on one side and had 30+ minute waits. Come on Six Flags, you can do better here. Theyre buckets.

Speaking of waits, this was the first time I learned about and used the app with wait times. I found it generally accurate in that 5 minutes = walk on. However, it promised us a 25 minute wait for Joker, which ended up being 60. It was eventually updated to say 70.

My day:

Went straight to Joker. Closed.

Went straight to Kinga Ka. Closed, but there were 50+ people waiting outside the line.

Went to the drop of doom for the first time. Holy crap is it far away. And why is the line so narrow? Really enjoyed the ride. Line was under 10 minutes, and even shorter when we were done. Could have ridden again and waited less than 5 minutes by GF didnt want to.

GF wanted Safari but wait time was already listed at 70 minutes.

Did Bizzaro, walked straight into the station, 1 group of 4 in front of us.

Went to El Toro, but line was 40+ minutes

Instead we watched the sea lion show. And apparently theres a lion next to the theater. Ive been to the park many times and never noticed...

Rode Twister, walk on.

Wanted Sky Buckets. Wait was too long.

Went to Joker. App said 25 minutes, was 60 minute wait. This was my first time. It was fun, but way too short. Would not wait more than 15 minutes for this in the future.

Went for lunch at Panda.

At this point it was 4pm. So we went to buy our maze write bands. 5 of the mazes were open. Wasteland and Voodoo were closed. I was shocked when the lady at the register said "that will be $17 (instead of $22), its discounted today because two mazes are closed"

SIX FLAGS OFFERING A DISCOUNT BECAUSE STUFF WAS CLOSED!?!?!

Ahem. If you plan on going tomorrow, those two will be closed as well.

We went to the Darkness. About a 30 minute wait. Very enjoyable experience, would recommend. Certainly a unique experience.

Then the Manor. Also about a 20 minute wait. Good set design. Would recommend.

GF wanted to see some shows. Went to see The Awakening + Dance Show. Eh. Not impressed. We left before it ended.

Went to see Slash a magic show. Pretty good. Would recommend. Would have been better in a smaller venue. Does take about 35 minutes though, which eats up valuable ride time.

At this point we ran to the car to grab jackets + gloves. Temperature was plunging.

Then did Cell Block 6 maze. Also around a 20 minute wait. Probably the weakest of the mazes.

Quick detour to Deja Vu (walk on)

Moved right along to the 3D clown maze. No line. Pretty cool. Would wait 15 minutes for this.

And then to the last open maze. Blood Shed. Maybe a 15 minute wait at this point. Felt like the longest, and creepy.

At this point it was 9:37. Unfortunately, the the entrance to Blood Shed is near El Toro, the exit is not. Walked very quickly to El Toro...

And it was a walk on! Not just a walk on, but a "you may stay in your seat if no one is in line" walk on.

Rode 3 times in a row. Could have gone 1 more time but didnt want to risk a headache before the drive home. The girls behind us rode 5 in a row.

Out of park by 10:15pm.

Tips: There is a fright fest specific map which is provided where they sell maze wristbands. You should grab it.

There was also a paper supplement for Monday and Wednesday as the show times are different than weekends, and the 2 mazes were closed. bring winter clothes for after dark!

Other rides I didnt go on:

Nitro advertised 70 minute waits all day until around 9pm when it said 25

Batman advertised 5 minutes all afternoon and raised to 25 in the evening.

Sky screamer said 25 all day

Green lantern: Didnt pay attention to

Safari was 70 all day, they need bigger vehicles

Skull went from 5-25 throughout the day

Batman indoor was 25 most of the time (lol, no, lol)

Sorry, you made the classic mistake of going to Kingdaka first. It rarely to never opens on time. Game plan I use is Nitro first, few people go to that side of the park to start the day Also, with them letting season pass people in before GP, you can get 1st ride of the day and usually multiple re rides without walking around before people come. Even if you have to get off and walk around, the wait is a few trains for the 1st 45 minutes of the day. El Toro at night is awesome, better than the day, I usually power ride the last 45 minutes. As you said, it's a walk on or stay on. Same opinion as you on the Joker. Bizarro is underrated and neglected by the crowds.

Heading to the park tomorrow afternoon with Genx24. Haven't been since the middle of August. Anyone have an idea of what the lines may be like?

Not really since it's a really strange day to be open. I would expect light crowds but you never know with Great Adventure. They'll be staffed for light crowds I'm sure since I have no clue how they found enough people to staff the park on a random Wednesday in October so expect food lines for non Team Panda members to be bull*** with at least half of the food locations in the park closed.

Heading to the park tomorrow afternoon with Genx24. Haven't been since the middle of August. Anyone have an idea of what the lines may be like?

Not really since it's a really strange day to be open. I would expect light crowds but you never know with Great Adventure. They'll be staffed for light crowds I'm sure since I have no clue how they found enough people to staff the park on a random Wednesday in October so expect food lines for non Team Panda members to be bull*** with at least half of the food locations in the park closed.

Thats alright we eat before we go and when we leave. I don't give them any more money than I need too.

Edited by Jcoaster

Awesome. Aside from that I think a few mazes are closed on weekdays (Voodoo Island I know is one of them) and Safari is open but word on the street is that Camp Aventura is not. It makes sense to cut these things honestly and you may not care about any of them if you're there for the coasters.

Sorry, you made the classic mistake of going to Kingdaka first. It rarely to never opens on time. Game plan I use is Nitro first, few people go to that side of the park to start the day Also, with them letting season pass people in before GP, you can get 1st ride of the day and usually multiple re rides without walking around before people come. Even if you have to get off and walk around, the wait is a few trains for the 1st 45 minutes of the day. El Toro at night is awesome, better than the day, I usually power ride the last 45 minutes. As you said, it's a walk on or stay on. Same opinion as you on the Joker. Bizarro is underrated and neglected by the crowds.

Unfortunately, we didnt arrive until an hour after opening (noon)

Good tip on hitting Nitro first.

I always enjoy Bizarro. However, the special effects werent on this time (they were in September)

I would have suggested starting at the post directly above you which mentioned liens for every ride in the park.

As for staffing on Monday, Id say 95% of the food, shops and games were open and staffed. Only random places like the food truck like Bizarro were closed.