TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

El Toro and Nitro at night are great.

Haven't done it at night but imagine Bizarro would be somewhat cool with the flames going up (if they're still doing that - weren't working when I went last week).

Yea Bizarro/Medusa at night is always an awesome ride.

Visited the park with Physical for a few hours today and got one ride on Bizzaro and 6 on El Toro. Ryan was nice enough to give us 2 full-speed lift hill rides and wow, what a difference!

You aren't able to change the speed of the lift. It's programmed to slow down before it gets to the top so I think you were hallucinating lol

Visited the park with Physical for a few hours today and got one ride on Bizzaro and 6 on El Toro. Ryan was nice enough to give us 2 full-speed lift hill rides and wow, what a difference!

You aren't able to change the speed of the lift. It's programmed to slow down before it gets to the top so I think you were hallucinating lol

Like I said, Ryan was able to make it full speed (it didn't slow down at the top). He told us ahead of time he was doing it and it actually happened. It's just a switch on the ops panel.

Thinking about hitting up the park tomorrow, I know it's usually pretty packed on the weekends, but how are Fridays?

Hit or miss. We went on a Friday a few weeks ago with great weather and every ride except Skyway was a walk-on... even Kingda Ka.

Anyone heard more details about the injured woman on El Toro? It don't say where she was seated nor if the person next to her or behind her saw anything. Crazy how no one saw anything. Was it at night maybe?

According to news reports, she had a tooth knocked out and a couple others damaged and will need oral surgery to fix it. No one, even her, seems to know what hit her, and I doubt they'll find out. Odds are it was just another guest's loose object, most likely a phone. I'd be very surprised to hear any more about the issue.

Has anyone here been to the riding of the bulls event in the past? Coming down from Boston for it and it will be my first ACE event. Just curious to see how many people usually show up for it. Says there is an hour of ERT on Nitro in the morning and two hours on Toro after close. Just curious to how many rides we can actually get in on those rides in those times. Thanks!

You can easily do this with Toro almost any morning if you go there right at opening. Mostly people run to Ka, Superman, or now Joker so Toro stays very quiet the first half hour - hour of the day. My favorite time to ride it because you can just post up and re-ride for a while.

Also because there is no better way to wake up that being ripped from your seat repeatedly.

Edited by boldikus

I've heard you can get a lot of rides in, especially on the second half of Toro ERT but I never went and probably never will because there are way too many enthusiasts there and I'd rather die than listen to them for 3 hours.

And yet you lurk around these forums. Hey, at least you can log off here when you need a break from it. lol

I've heard you can get a lot of rides in, especially on the second half of Toro ERT but I never went and probably never will because there are way too many enthusiasts there and I'd rather die than listen to them for 3 hours.

Haha. I was planning on taking the trip that weekend and then I heard about the event so figured Toro is my favorite ride how could I pass it up. Im just doing it for the ERT. And Mexican fiesta lunch? Sounds alright by me. Im sure people are wiped out by the second half of Toro so that makes sense itll be the time to get the most.

Also is Skull Mountain VR in session by then? Would really just like to walk in and get a quick back row ride before the nightmare of VR takes away that option.

^^^Good tip! Next year when I go, I'll be sure to do this! I think I went there first last time I went, and got in two rides. But I was also with my 60+ year old dad, so we weren't exactly busting tail to get over there or anything... Still, I'm just glad my 60+ year old dad will get on and ride any coaster with me anywhere, so that's cool!

That's the difference. There's no logging off at an enthusiast event unless you just lock yourself in the bathroom or ride something enthusiasts would never ride like Safari Off Road Adventure.

Full disclosure I do that kind of thing all the time. When we run into an enthusiast that annoys the sh*t out of us we just tell them we're going to do something like ride Safari or watch a show because we know they'll never tag along. Pretending we were going to the Jack Frost show during HITP saved me from multiple people on the Great Adventure Connoisseur Facebook page including one guy that decided we should carpool with him for 2 hours next time we go to the park 30 seconds after we met him.

^^^Good tip! Next year when I go, I'll be sure to do this! I think I went there first last time I went, and got in two rides. But I was also with my 60+ year old dad, so we weren't exactly busting tail to get over there or anything... Still, I'm just glad my 60+ year old dad will get on and ride any coaster with me anywhere, so that's cool!

Yeah, I'm somewhat jealous and sad about this. My dad really made my early teen days of enthusiasm possible and took me around to ride my favorite rides. He hasn't been to parks with me in close to 10 years, with the exception of one family trip to BGW. I decided for father's day this year we'd do a throwback and I took him to Carowinds to ride my new favorite, Fury. He has had some blood pressure issues and is on some medication, and said that they gave him some vertigo-ish feelings and afterwards he said he felt that his riding days were numbered. Enjoy that while you can.

Side note, I saw an 80-90 year cute old man having to be helped into and out of his seat on I305 this summer. Kudos to that ballsy old guy. Fingers crossed that's me. lol

My favorite kind of enthusiast to make fun of (after the fact, as I typically don't make fun of people in front of them - typically), are the ones who ride a coaster like it's actually the last thing on earth they're enthusiastic for, and look bored out of their skulls. I look like I'm having a good time when I ride a coaster (well, unless it's T3, or Hurler, or some shite like that), so if that makes people think I'm lame... Well, I don't care!

^^ My folks both did coasters with me as a kid and I totally have them to thank for raising a family of riders. But my Dad has back issues and won't go near any rides at all anymore. I got my tipsy Mom on The Great White two years ago and it roughed her up pretty good. Dying to get her on Nitro or Toro but those days are numbered if not passed already.

But not sure if anyone can touch Coasterbills Mom. She is seriously hardcore - not only riding with us all day in freezing temps during HITP but finished it off with an hour and a half marathon on Nitro. I wanna have that kinda stamina!

My bro-in-law and I rode with Talon front row at Haunt a few years back with a couple who had to be at least 75 years old, it was so cute and amazing at the same time.

Yeah, I'm somewhat jealous and sad about this. My dad really made my early teen days of enthusiasm possible and took me around to ride my favorite rides. He hasn't been to parks with me in close to 10 years, with the exception of one family trip to BGW. I decided for father's day this year we'd do a throwback and I took him to Carowinds to ride my new favorite, Fury. He has had some blood pressure issues and is on some medication, and said that they gave him some vertigo-ish feelings and afterwards he said he felt that his riding days were numbered. Enjoy that while you can.

Side note, I saw an 80-90 year cute old man having to be helped into and out of his seat on I305 this summer. Kudos to that ballsy old guy. Fingers crossed that's me. lol

I do really appreciate him, and love sharing in my passion for amusement parks with him! However, it changes over time... Even though he will still ride everything and anything, he needs a lot more breaks, and will often take a nap in the car at some point throughout the day. Heck, I've changed as I've gotten older too, and appreciate that a lot more too! No trip to CP these days is complete without a stop in the Red Garter to relax, and enjoy some popcorn and an alcoholic beverage! Him and I did Brew and BBQ this year at CP, and loved it! One of the best things I've done at an amusement park in a while! I know it won't last forever, but I am grateful for it now...

^^ My folks both did coasters with me as a kid and I totally have them to thank for raising a family of riders. But my Dad has back issues and won't go near any rides at all anymore. I got my tipsy Mom on The Great White two years ago and it roughed her up pretty good. Dying to get her on Nitro or Toro but those days are numbered if not passed already.

But not sure if anyone can touch Coasterbills Mom. She is seriously hardcore - not only riding with us all day in freezing temps during HITP but finished it off with an hour and a half marathon on Nitro. I wanna have that kinda stamina!

My bro-in-law and I rode with Talon front row at Haunt a few years back with a couple who had to be at least 75 years old, it was so cute and amazing at the same time.

My mom is in her late 60s and Nitro is her favorite but she will still go on any coaster in the park. I will admit as she keeps getting older I do get a bit concerned with her riding coasters but she loves it and she's the person who always took me to the theme parks so I enjoy seeing her still being able to have fun on extreme rides at her age. I hope I can still go on them when I reach that age.

Like I said, Ryan was able to make it full speed (it didn't slow down at the top). He told us ahead of time he was doing it and it actually happened. It's just a switch on the ops panel.

Yup! It's as simple as turning a key and pushing a button.

Why would they not run it at full speed? Maybe that's what happened last year when I went there and thought the air was not quite what it used to be. (I had also ridden Skyrush a few weeks earlier.)

There's some mechanical reasons why the lift was slowed down and why a boost function was later installed. But the ride honestly doesn't run much faster with the boost then it does without it. A fully loaded train averages 44.32 feet per second into the brake run with or without a boost. (Im not making that number up haha the computer says 44.32 almost everytime.) The only difference I've ever notice is really just the first drop. But I think the train spends more time on the unstop wheels during the first drop with a boost which detracts from the extra kick into the first drop. Those unstop wheels do not like to spin freely! I've played with them before.