TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'm sure this has been addressed, likely numerous times, but my attempts at searching the large thread failed me.

I'm visiting this park for the first time next Monday or Tuesday. We are season pass holders for Six Flags Great America near Chicago, and are taking a trip to this area and hitting the park one of the days. A couple things I was wondering:

1. I'm assuming a flash pass won't be necessary. It's late in the season and a weekday, and I'm hoping that makes the lines bearable. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. (If I need to buy a flash pass, I will!)

2. What are this parks "must ride" coasters? If it helps, my current faves at SFGA are the Viper, Raging Bull, Goliath and X Flight.

3. How tough is it to get into the Safari thing? This made my wife very excited, as this is something very different from our home park.

4. Are there any other attractions that are "must see" while we're there? This may be my only trip, so I want to make it count!

Thanks in advance!

1. I would wait until you get into the park and ride some things to get a feel for how the crowds will be. If you are able to go for more than one day or just an extra partial day then you don't need the pass. If you only have one day, I'd start with the left side of the park since it has lower-capacity rides and Kingda Ka always gets crowded.

2. The absolute must-ride coasters are El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, The Joker and Kingda Ka. The other important coasters are Batman: The Ride and Superman: Ultimate Flight because you have them at Great America, and also Runaway Mine Train and Skull Mountain (sit in the back row on that one!) are nice rides, too. The other coasters are pretty much credit whore coasters.

3. The Safari is wonderful, and you just wait for it like any other ride. It gets a long line later in the day, but that area opens a half hour later I think, along with Bizzaro and the mine train. So I would get onto a few other rides on the left side of the park, then get to it when it opens. It's around an hour, so it will take up a lot of time.

4. The other attraction you must do is Zumanjaro, obviously. Swashbuckler, Sky Screamer, Twister and El Diablo are fun flat rides and Houdini is really cool. But I would only wait a short time for those.

I'm sure this has been addressed, likely numerous times, but my attempts at searching the large thread failed me.

I'm visiting this park for the first time next Monday or Tuesday. We are season pass holders for Six Flags Great America near Chicago, and are taking a trip to this area and hitting the park one of the days. A couple things I was wondering:

1. I'm assuming a flash pass won't be necessary. It's late in the season and a weekday, and I'm hoping that makes the lines bearable. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. (If I need to buy a flash pass, I will!)

2. What are this parks "must ride" coasters? If it helps, my current faves at SFGA are the Viper, Raging Bull, Goliath and X Flight.

3. How tough is it to get into the Safari thing? This made my wife very excited, as this is something very different from our home park.

4. Are there any other attractions that are "must see" while we're there? This may be my only trip, so I want to make it count!

Thanks in advance!

1. Flash Pass most likely wont be needed however, make sure you don't go on a day with any events (like bring a friend for free day).

2. Ride: El Toro, Kingda Ka, Nitro, Bizarro, Joker, Skull Mountain, Runaway Mine Train. If you want to hit the clones that are good but are at SFGAm then also ride: Superman Ultimate Flight, Batman The Ride, The Dark Knight. Avoid unless you want the credit: Green Lantern, Road Runner Railway, Harley Quinn Crazy Train.

3. If you do the Safari do it first thing in the morning. Not only will the line be short but the animals will be more active due to it being cooler. The ride can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour depending on the driver and whether you stop at Camp Adventura (which I recommend doing at least once). The entrance for this is by the log ride and there is no up charge.

4. Make sure you also ride: Parachute Tower (they are pretty rare and this is the only one left in the USA I think), SkyScreamer (Star Flyer), Houdini's Great Escape (Vekoma Mad House), The log ride, Sky Ride (Another rare ride and this one is high off the ground and long), Big Wheel, Zumanjaro (the highest Drop Tower in the world). Finally also make sure to see the otter show if it is still going on, they are really cute .

How crowded was the park last friday? I know it was bring a friend free day.

Not bad but it was 108 degrees and rained most of the afternoon. Hurricane Harbor just about hit capacity. We went on a Bring a Friend Free day a few months ago and got on 5 rides in 12 hours including a 3 hour wait for Joker and 2 1/2 hour wait for Kingda Ka and Safari respectively.

Justice League dark ride confirmed. Check out the meeting minutes from the Jackson NJ planning board meeting on July 18th.

Mr. Klee advised Great Adventure’s 2017 capital improvements involves construction of a 25,000 sq. ft. building, 33’ in height to house an attraction opening in the 2017 season. It will be placed where a previous ride was located and will be undisturbed. The use is permitted and we should hear testimony for timing.

Mr. Peters had nothing to add.

Ray Shea, Attorney for the applicant, advised there is no tree removal or interference. The building is sufficient in size and the same manufacturer built a similar entertainment arena in Chicago but we can’t give much information. It is consistent with our policy and is located in a developed portion of the park. Mr. Hudak asked where it will be visually located. Gregory Minenna, Great Adventure (sworn) along with Robert Schultz, Construction Manager. Mr. Minenna informed it will be located near the chiller ride, batman ride and behind the dark knight. Mr. Hudak confirmed it is replacing the chiller ride and that the ride will be inside of this building. Mr. Klee informed it is conforming and meets the setback and height limitations.

Mr. Peters stated it is a permitted use. Mr. Shea stated we’re here as a courtesy to keep you informed and Mr. Bressi stated Great Adventure has a great track record for coming forward every year ahead of time and it is only minor changes to inform.

Due to the re-tracking, I've actually found Roar at Six Flags America to actually be a really fun ride! The turns have some laterals, the twistiness is a lot of fun and there's a few airtime hills that really deliver. It would be better as an RMC, but it really doesn't have to become one, and it seems like Six Flags is trying to preserve it. And if El Toro gets the RMC treatment, I would die. People say that it's getting rougher, but there's barely even a rattle. It still feels like what it was meant to be: a really smooth wooden coaster that still has a wooden feel to it. I wouldn't even give it re-tracking for at least a few more years.

I was kidding, geez. Y'all act like so defensive sometimes. Grow up. They're just roller coasters.

Well jokes don't come across well on the Internet. And some sarcastic comments are okay but at the rate your going you seem to be serious about some of the things you are saying.