TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Every coaster except for Dark Knight, Skull Mountain (just because it's so damn easy to check those restraints anyway) and Kingda Ka (which can't dispatch trains quickly anyway because of Zumanjaro so someone please explain that one to me) is understaffed at Great Adventure. I'm being kind with Kingda Ka because it really kind of is understaffed since they only ever use 1 out of 4 stations but that one station is properly staffed.

Most parks staff at least 2 seat checkers per side on a coaster, so one takes the back half of the train on their ride, one takes the front half on their side and the other 2 do the same thing on the opposite side. At Great Adventure they have one person per side responsible for checking their half of the entire train, and in the case of Toro they then go back and re-check whichever cars don't verify which is usually at least 2 of them.

The Toro crew is doubly amazing because they're being efficient despite the Six Flags budget cutting which isn't an easy thing to pull off. That being said, what I just pointed out isn't entirely the cause of Bizarro's problems. The ride is understaffed, but that crew sucks. With 1 seat checker per side they'd never be able to roll trains like (for example) Rougarou can, but they could be a little better than they are now if they would do things like start checking seats before they're already triple stacked.

On Tuesday Bizarro had a 15 minute line for most of the afternoon and at one point while I was in the station the operator said over the mic "we have a line which should never happen so we're kind of trying to be quick right now, so hurry to your seats please."

laughing.gif.3fed9e74fefcb972e575c10ef8d7bc03.gif

Hello everyone, I haven't been following this thread but I just wanted an opinion. I know that August is probably one of the busiest times of the year behind fright fest because of the usual summer crowds and the camps. I am going next Friday and was wondering if I should spend the money for a regular or gold flash pass or just wait on the lines. The weather is supposed to be around 90 with no chance of rain. Also will The Joker be back open by next week, or is this information only Six Flags knows?

1. Don't ever trust weather one week out. It can and will change.

2. Don't ever buy a flash pass until you arrive and get a feel for the wait times.

3. No one but the maintenance dudes at the park know whats going on with Joker. Actually, they probably don't know either.

4. Have a Six Flags Day.

Has anyone here ever taken public transportation from NYC to SFGAdv and can tell me what it's like? I'm visiting New York for the first time at the end of the month and I'm really hoping this is doable.

It's doable, but from what I heard it's a huge hassle. You'd be better suited renting a car.

Has anyone here ever taken public transportation from NYC to SFGAdv and can tell me what it's like? I'm visiting New York for the first time at the end of the month and I'm really hoping this is doable.

It's doable, but from what I heard it's a huge hassle. You'd be better suited renting a car.

I suggest taking the bus. If you don't have a SP, the fare is 77$ and includes the bus trip and then park entry (up from 65$ last year). It still a great deal considering how much a one day pass is at SFGAdv. It not really much of a hassle, just show up at Port Authority, buy tickets and load the bus. The bus driver will let you know when they will start the return trips.

Renting a car might sound nice, but you will need a CC with at least a 250$ deposit, be atleast 21 years old, tolls fee's will be deducted off your credit card, have to refill the gas tank etc. It'll definitely end up costing more than 77$. I rented a car to Hershey Park last month, and I got a ticket before I even left the city.

Park was pretty slow given the hot Monday today. Generally 10-15 min waits on everything. Some thoughts below on my first trip to the park in 2 years. Ride counts - 5x Nitro, 2x Kinga Ka, 2x El Toro, and once each for Zumanjaro, Joker, Skull Mountain, Bizzaro, Superman, Batman, and Congo River Rapids.

Some thoughts:

- Still holding out hope that Great Adventure re-opens the pathway from Kinga Ka area to El Toro. It used to be super convenient when they had it. Why did they block it off? Very inefficient (15 mins wasted) to go out to the Boardwalk and loop around.

- Shame that they lost the sound and effects on Bizzaro. Thought that was a nice addition.

- All the park employees (ride ops, concessions, etc.) were super helpful and friendly.

- Love how they're still going strong with the Mortal Kombat music on Nitro.

- No Kingda Ka rollbacks today but I've always got my fingers crossed.

- Great how the park gives out free cups of water. Was super helpful on a 100 degree day like today.

- Lots of credit to the ride op on Congo River Rapids for trying to keep the line short. I got SOAKED!

- I miss the foot massage machine they used to have near Bizzaro / the stadium. Such a lifesaver. http://www.bhmvending.com/barrell_of_fun.jpg

- More single rider lines would be amazing. Lots of trains going with empty seats today.

I have already been to Great Adventure once before (about 2 or 3 months ago) with a friend using the Bus at Port Authority. It sucked because he hated roller coasters for the most part and wouldn't go on 90% of the rides I went on; Plus, the lines were pretty long and the Joker was still closed.

I am considering going again, but no one is interested in coasters... Do you think it will be weird going on the Bus alone?

I don't really care about being alone in theme park itself.

Well, I look it at this way...

The thing with the bus is that it's a one route to Six Flags so everyone can tell that you are alone lol

Whilst if you are in the park, people might think that you are going on a ride alone, but you are not necessarily alone at the park lol.

I know it might sound weird, but thats how I look at it. But, i guess i will just suck it up and go; its not like I will be seeing the people on the bus again... at least not likely.

1. Maybe people would assume you are meeting someone there?

2. Why on earth would you care if total strangers assume you are going to the park alone? How is this going to affect your life?

3. Maybe you'll meet another loner on the bus and you can spend the day at the park together.

1. Maybe people would assume you are meeting someone there?

2. Why on earth would you care if total strangers assume you are going to the park alone? How is this going to affect your life?

3. Maybe you'll meet another loner on the bus and you can spend the day at the park together.

thoughts to live by as a coaster enthusiast

Yeah what you said is 100% true. Thanks a lot for replying. Can't wait to go as i will be leaving NYC (for a year) in about 10 days.

I really want to go on the Zumminjaro (sp) and I want to try the Joker (although not that excited about it, as i have tried the Green Lantern at SF:MM which is somewhat similar and it hurt).

Look for a guy with a patch jacket on the bus. There's guaranteed to be one and he'll totally be alone. Just tell him to pass the time, if you make friends with him you can hang out at the park.

Suggested talking points include (but are not limited to) B&M rattle, how you wish B&M went back to making forceful rides like they did in the 90's, How Michigan's Adventure is being mistreated by the chain and why it's not fair (list reasons) and how it's bullsh*t that Rye Playland won't let adults ride the kiddy coaster even though they should totally be able to because it's an ACE Coaster Classic.

That would be pointless since Coasterbill would never be caught dead ALONE on a bus in the middle of Bumblef*ck, NJ.

Hey, I grew up in Bumblef**k, NJ! Though to be fair, "bumblef**k" is a pretty accurate way to describe it.

Suggested talking points include (but are not limited to) B&M rattle, how you wish B&M went back to making forceful rides like they did in the 90's, How Michigan's Adventure is being mistreated by the chain and why it's not fair (list reasons) and how it's bullsh*t that Rye Playland won't let adults ride the kiddy coaster even though they should totally be able to because it's an ACE Coaster Classic.

Don't forget to lament about Six Flags labeling carnival rides as roller coasters, bitch about the growing trend of no single riders on Ferris wheels, and discuss how great the park "used to be" while sanitizing history and filtering memories through rose-tinted glasses!