TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

They could have just witnessed water shooting when it was launching and thaught it was sparks..becuase water shoots up I guess to cool the track and cable down so there isn't a lot of friction (and becuase if it overheats the ride program shuts down)...??? can someone confirm this??

They could have just witnessed water shooting when it was launching and thaught it was sparks..becuase water shoots up I guess to cool the track and cable down so there isn't a lot of friction (and becuase if it overheats the ride program shuts down)...??? can someone confirm this??

Kingda Ka doesn't give off a loud bang when water is shooting up.

Another poster said who was in the station when this happend, he said that once the train rolled into the brake run, the ride-op told them to leave the station ASAP and that area of the golden kingdom was closed off. So it isn't water.

What a great investment

And I was just talking my girlfriend into riding this thing this weekend. There goes that idea. I guess I just won't tell her about this accident and hopefully get her on later in the season if it is up a running.

No official notice has come out, but someone told me that Kingda Ka had a major break down today. So I went to gadv.com and found some info on it.

Here's what one of the posters witnessed

Ok today at 9:45 Ka broke down on the switchtrack. I thought no biggie! The 20 min later they test it and boom all I hear is this loud roar at the end of the launch track. People said Ka had sparks flying everywhere and stuff. I seriously felt like I was witnessing FinalD4!

Well Ka is pretty much screwed as of now. I didn't see any break fins pop up and it did clear the tower. The key factors in this could be breaks,train,fins, or catch car! It does not look good

Does anyone know, when TTD snapped a cable, did it do something like what KK did?

Thanks For Asking Na it is fine. I witnessed it and it was bad. I was the one who actually wrote this! I also think this is a great thought.

The train launched and the catch car did not stop near the end sending up sparks and then boom the catch car hit the end of the track!

Thanks For Asking Na it is fine. I witnessed it and it was bad. I was the one who actually wrote this! I also think this is a great thought.

The train launched and the catch car did not stop near the end sending up sparks and then boom the catch car hit the end of the track!

lol, sorry for not including the screen name. But yeah, that sorta sounds almost like the cable snapped because how you mentioned the catch car hit the end of the track.

I feel sorry for all of you on the east coast. Kingda Ka is finally open and then bam, it's closed again. I don't think Superman: The Escape ever had this many breakdowns, or did it?

Please let this thing be running by the 19th! I have one chance to ride it for this year and it has a major malfunction. F***!

First no El Toro! Now this. Is there any other reason to visit this park?

Chiller, Nitro, Medusa and the tea cups. Pm me if you need a tour guide!

I was there 15 minutes before it happen but then went over to Chiller. Good news at least that the blue side of Chiller is back up and running!

Of course!

With KK down, they have enough electricity to operate both sides of B&R:TC!

The catchcar has its own set of brakes to stop it before the end of its path. It sounds more like those brakes failed than a cable breakage. This is possibly worse than a cable breakage, but possibly not a big problem. It all depends on if the catchcar was destroyed or not, and what caused the brakes to fail.

Catch car ok and hydraulic line failure is the 'best' scenario.

Replace the line, test and reopen.

Catchcar destroyed and massive system wide failures to the catchcar brake system would be at the very bad end of the spectrum.

Lots of new parts from Intamin, all the way over there in Switzerland. Replace, analyze, test, reopen.

Of course, unless we have some insiders at 6FGAdv, we'll never know the whole story.

Sounds like it might be the end for intamins cable launch system.

Anyone know how TTD has re-opened after people got sliced up on it?

O and also did someone say that the breaks dident come up? so if there was a roll back it would be like somthing from one of my RCT death camps, how is this ever going to be safe in the future?!?

Well if that catch car hit the end of the track at 130mph I pretty much say its been destroyed, but then again, I'm not there, I'm here and I know nothing.

I think its always going to have problems like this, because it cheated, it cheated at being the tallest & fastest coaster IMO.

It cheated because its launched to the fastest speed of any coaster & launched upto 450', that IMO is cheating, I want to see the tallest and fastest "traditional" coaster.

So someone up in the skies is cursing it because he agrees with me, Kingda Ka is a CHEAT.

-Martyn