TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I find the school trip kids worse than just groups of two or four teens cos they move in a swarm,

the more there are, the louder and the more unruly they become...

Maybe I should try evening shift, although it doesnt really work with the trip itinerary...

I feel your pain. The last few times Ive been over there mid-summer on a weekday was once last summer and twice the summer before, and on two of those three I got FP just so I didn't have to wait in line with them. I tend to go more often during spring/fall/HITP. The only quiet time to go in summer it seems is Sunday morning, unless its BAFF, which its been every Sunday since Mothers Day.

Batman is listed as temporarily closed on the website. That's never a good sign.

I was there on Friday and Saturday and that thing was clanking quite loud going up the lift hill. Now, im not a regular, only my second trip to the park, but I can't recall if it was that loud my first trip a couple months back.

We just changed our visit from tomorrow to Friday. How bad of an idea was that when it comes to the lines?

Pretty bad

Batman is listed as temporarily closed on the website. That's never a good sign.

I was there on Friday and Saturday and that thing was clanking quite loud going up the lift hill. Now, im not a regular, only my second trip to the park, but I can't recall if it was that loud my first trip a couple months back.

That's normal. And when it stops on the lift it sounds like someone detonated a nuclear bomb.

^ Now that we're in the summer season and schools are out, the park is in full on busy season. Any day (even weekdays) you should budget for at least a gold flash pass. It's a crapshoot. You might get lucky and its not too bad. But Ive been there on Fridays during summer and got FP every time.

That said, tommorow calls for T-storms so if thats the case and it does T-storm they will shut everything down anyway. Friday looks clear, but that also means (potentially) heavy crowds.

We just changed our visit from tomorrow to Friday. How bad of an idea was that when it comes to the lines?

Pretty bad

I figured but how bad? Instead of 10 minute waits, we're looking at 30 minutes?

More like instead of 30 minute waits, you're looking at 1 hour+ across the board.

I wanted to throw this out there.. On my trip to the park this past weekend, I happened to get in line for skull mountain and made a point to wait for the back row. I am gonna say that I was very pleasantly surprised by that airtime on the first drop haha. It was worth all the hype. Only place to ride.

Pretty bad

I figured but how bad? Instead of 10 minute waits, we're looking at 30 minutes?

More like instead of 30 minute waits, you're looking at 1 hour+ across the board.

Sound like we need to do Flash Pass. We don't have the budget for the $75 or $115 option. Is the regular $45 option even worth it? We figured we could be waiting in line at one line while virtually waiting for the other? Anyone have any experience with all three versions?

I do. Platinum you will walk onto just about anything with almost zero wait. Gold gets the job done, granted you reserve your next ride the second you get scanned into whatever you are currently waiting for - this way you are virtually queueing for something while riding something else. Or eating while you are waiting for your next reservation. Regular is the same wait as whatever the wait for the ride is, you just don't have to wait in the line. So if you reserve El Toro and its an hour wait - you too wait an hour, just not in line. I've only gotten platinum once @ SFOG since its not my home park but Ive gotten Gold at Great Adv a bunch and it always does the trick, even on super busy days, - just have to make sure to reserve that next ride immediately when you are scanned into your current ride.

Regular is the same wait as whatever the wait for the ride is, you just don't have to wait in the line. So if you reserve El Toro and its an hour wait - you too wait an hour, just not in line.

Never used the flash pass, but thinking of getting it if I can make it back to Jersey this summer since I can see how damn busy it can get there. So stupid question, but it sounds like you say you can only reserve one ride at a time, and not another ride until the pass has been scanned on the current ride? is that what you're saying?

Regular is the same wait as whatever the wait for the ride is, you just don't have to wait in the line. So if you reserve El Toro and its an hour wait - you too wait an hour, just not in line.

Never used the flash pass, but thinking of getting it if I can make it back to Jersey this summer since I can see how damn busy it can get there. So stupid question, but it sounds like you say you can only reserve one ride at a time, and not another ride until the pass has been scanned on the current ride? is that what you're saying?

Yes. But as soon as they scan it cancel the current ride and reserve something. So let's say you scan into Ka and want to wait for the front... while you're doing that you can also be waiting for something else. Don't wait to get off the ride to reserve a new one. Most people do that and it's stupid.

^^ Yes you can reserve one ride at a time. Once you get to the merge point in whatever line you are in the FP attendant will "scan" your Qbot and up comes the option to click "done ride".

Idiots wait til the ride is over, but you should right away pick your next ride.

For instance, you had El Toro reserved, when you get to FP attendant they'll scan you in and right away click "ride done" and your list of available rides pops back up. Pick something right away. This way while you are in the station waiting to board, riding the ride, and then exiting, then walking to your next reservation you should be able to just walk right on. This depend on how busy it is as some waits could be bad (and usually are).

Gold gets the job done easily if you do it this way. If you can't afford it regular is the way to go but I can't imagine its all that useful if everything has 1+ hour long queues.

Yes. But as soon as they scan it cancel the current ride and reserve something. So let's say you scan into Ka and want to wait for the front... while you're doing that you can also be waiting for something else. Don't wait to get off the ride to reserve a new one. Most people do that and it's stupid.

My fave is when the FP attendant is too lazy and tells you to cancel the reservation instead of scanning it. Of course I didn't I saved it and walked right around and used it again. AGain told me to cancel it, and I didn't. Let's just say I managed to get multiple rides on El Toro on a super packed day back to back cause the FP op didnt realize she kept telling me to cancel it myself. After 4-5 laps I thought she might be recognizing me so I gave it rest. But that was a fun little marathon I managed with an entirely full queue spilling out of the entrance haha. It's happened a few other times too...

My fave is when the FP attendant is too lazy and tells you to cancel the reservation instead of scanning it. Of course I didn't I saved it and walked right around and used it again. AGain told me to cancel it, and I didn't. Let's just say I managed to get multiple rides on El Toro on a super packed day back to back cause the FP op didnt realize she kept telling me to cancel it myself. After 4-5 laps I thought she might be recognizing me so I gave it rest. But that was a fun little marathon I managed with an entirely full queue spilling out of the entrance haha. It's happened a few other times too...

Haha that sounds fantastic. Friday was a decent day at the park, and after the school groups cleared out the park was quite empty, was able to re-ride Nitro three times without even getting off. Toro ops were blazing fast and was able to ride three times in 20 minutes even though we had to walk through the queue again with just a station wait. Longest wait was Ka and that was only 20 minutes, and we got back in line and waited maybe 10 minutes. Satruday.. well that was a different story. So I appreciate the flash pass advice. Definitely think I will be investing in that if I can get back to the park this summer. Damn I wish I lived closer. Superman and cyclone are fantastic and all, but now with the VR I am dreading even attempting to go back to SFNE this year.

My rule of thumb is that if its not a regional park I can get to often, I am budgeting any sort of skip-the-line program they have, unless I show up and its not needed. But it made my trip to CP last year and SFOG this year totally awesome as I didn't wait for anything at either of those parks. I just don't see the point of traveling all the way to a faraway park to stand in lines all day. I rarely get it at Great Adv anymore unless I pick a bad day and its packed. Most rides there I've done a bunch so I'm not there stressing about getting on everything. Right now I want to go up just to hit Joker (havent been since it opened) and as always some laps on Toro.

Thanks everyone for the input! It's much appreciated. One last thing. I saw someone above mention that the last row is the best for Skull Mountain. How about the other dozen coasters? Are there any 'must ride' seats? Also, aside from the drop tower, what flats are 'can't miss'?

Definitely all good points. I have an extended family member who lives 20 minutes from SFOG and the company he works for runs the Flash Pass system, So if I'm with him, we can get free access to the pass. So I am legitimately trying to plan a trip just for that. Will definitely be looking into it in the future. Appreciate the advice. Especially that part about the back row of skull mountain..

Kinda Ka: Row one

El Toro: One row from the back

Bizarro: Back row (it's not amazing but it's the best seat and the line for it won't be significantly longer than any other row)

Can't miss rides:

Safari Off Road Adventure but it's a major time investment.

The Skyway is from the World's Fair and the Parachute Tower is the only ride of it's kind in America so they're both unique. Parachutes will not have a line. Skyway's line is shorter on the fort side.

Green Lantern sucks. Skip it unless you're a credit whore or if you hate yourself.

All of that ^ but also Houdini if you've never done a Vekoma madhouse. It's not spectacular but its pretty cool. Also another post where Bill doesn't mention the log flume. WTF is happening???

Also, I like Bizarro a lot and prefer it in the back OR front. Front really amplifies the floorless aspect since your feet hang right over the track, back has serious yank through the elements.

Oh and Skull Mountain: back row ONLY.

Edited by boldikus

Actually Houdini is a really good suggestion. I can't believe I forgot it.

And I like the flume but I hate their stupid policy of putting you in a log with a bunch of people you don't know. No other park does that and it sucks. In my opinion that really detracts from the ride.