TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

another MAJOR addition to the park (in the same tier as El Toro, Kingda Ka, and Nitro)

I don't know, between Safari Off Road Adventure, the world's tallest drop tower and the most awesome addition in all the years I've been going to the park since the late 90's... Holiday in the Park, I think they've had tons of huge additions lately.

Edit: And yeah I know someone's about to remind me about El Toro as if I forgot. I still say Holiday in the Park is the best addition since the late 90's. Suck on that.

Edited by coasterbill

So read some posts (Great Adventure Connoisseurs on FB) that there is less spinning on The Joker, since getting stuck on the season pass preview day.....

- I went back and looked at the testing footage compared to how it is running now, and it looks that way to me

- Same vs. the one in Texas, IMO

Anyone have any insight on this?

I think the purple side was tuned down prior to the season pass preview, this vid was taken a few days before. The purple side is mostly just rocking while the green is spinning aggressively

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Awww, I miss this thread. It's been a while, guys.

Yes! "Welcome back!" I rode that damn El Diablo just for you yesterday! Ughhhhhh......

Oh- and to add to the fun is an annoying "El Diablo" voice that reads you the safety warnings, prior to the start of the ride!

^ I don't know what you are talking about since I haven't ridden it, but it can't possibly be worse than the autospiel raps on Stinger & the Wild Mouse at Dorney!

^ I don't know what you are talking about since I haven't ridden it, but it can't possibly be worse than the autospiel raps on Stinger & the Wild Mouse at Dorney!

Saw many of your prior posts declaring that you haven't ridden it......and like you, I can do without all the spinning! Don't do it!!!!

I wouldn't wait in a long line for El Diablo, but it's a lot of fun And fills the "Space Shuttle" void in the park.

Plus, I love the way it helps light up the area at night. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a sucker for flashy neon.

I'm surprised no one has caused an uproar over being "offended" by El Diablo and the demonic voice they use for the safety spiel.

Too funny! I had no idea that it existed! I think Boldikus needs to ride it now just to hear it........

I may be going to the park for the first time this Thurs or Fri. What would you expect the lines to be on those days? Thanks!

It's Great Adventure, so longer than they should be. Thursday might be better but it really all depends on school groups so it could be anywhere from mildly busy to absolutely slammed. It's impossible to predict.

^^ Probably busy, but manageable. Schools are still in session throughout the area so expect droves of annoying middle and high school students. If you feel you need a flash pass, keep in mind Joker is platinum only.

I may be going to the park for the first time this Thurs or Fri. What would you expect the lines to be on those days? Thanks!

Unless there are chartered school trips/buses (I have no idea how you find that out!), the crowds will be low regarding the GP:

- because of unused snow days in the NY Metro area, kids were off from school (last week) from Friday- Tuesday (meaning today Tuesday)

- with that extended amount of time off, parents won't be pulling their kids out of school to head to SFGA

- worst case (school trips/buses)....the place will die off at 5pm, BUT keep in mind that you have a 6pm closing on Thursday, so it won't do you much good! (8pm closing on Friday)

When are you getting in town? If you can, plan on pulling into the parking at 9:30am, giving more than ample time to park, get through security, and into the main area.

- IMO, go: Ka, Zumi, El Toro, Bizarro, then Batman, Nitro, Skull Mountain.....past that, whatever you please!

- Being that you have short hours at the park, don't waste time waiting for Superman and Green Lantern, trust me!

- And yes, yes, yes! You will get caught up in the hype of the newest "coaster"- The Joker.....no bashing, just saying- I wouldn't make it my first stop (it will be EVERYONE'S first stop when the park opens).....take advantage of Ka, Zumi, El Toro, Bizarro on the other side of the park, when no one is there! If you leave the park and got on Ka, Zumi, El Toro, Bizarro, then Batman, Nitro, Skull Mountain but not The Joker, no worries!

Bottom line: Ka, El Toro and Nitro are the "can't miss" coasters of the collection......

Have fun......

^Yeah I basically agree with this, my strategy would definitely be Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, El Toro, Bizarro, Runaway Mine Train if it's a walk on (and it might be at that point which is the only reason I'm bringing it up), Skyway to Batman, Nitro and Skull Mountain then whatever you want.

Of note: Safari Off Road Adventure is a truly remarkable attraction. It's a very unique experience for a Six Flags park and we absolutely love it. That being said, it's a major time commitment. Counting the line I would budget about 2 hours for it if you want to do it.

I'm not sure what your approach to parks is. If you're all about credits then do what I suggested before but take out Zumanjaro. If you just want to hit major thrill rides then do what I suggested. If you want to ride the best the park has to offer and don't mind skipping a credit or two, make time for Safari Off Road Adventure. Seriously...

Also, if you have to pick one coaster to skip it should be Green Lantern. It's a terrible ride.

How dare you bad mouth Stingers autospiel! That was the greatest ride speech in history. Shame it's gone now.

How dare you bad mouth Stingers autospiel! That was the greatest ride speech in history. Shame it's gone now.

They got rid of it? We only rode it once last year @ Coasting 4 Kids and it was on then.

And to the poster above asking about park strategy on Thurs/Fri in June - Coasterbill and Strz nailed it basically. If its busy with school kids, they are all going to be trying to ride Joker, Ka, and Superman. If you want to hit the must-dos go Ka (though if its not running or they are taking forever to get it going, skip and come back after the school buses leave (5pm usually), Zumi, El Toro, Bizarro, Mine Train, Skyride over to Nitro, Batman and Skull Mountain. I'd save Joker and Superman (and Ka if its being cranky in the morning) if you want to ride those for evening, after the buses leave.

And I'm not sure I wanna live in a world where Bill is not suggesting the Log Flume in a post on how to do the park. What the hell is going on?

Went to the park today, was more crowded than I thought, lots of school trips.

Got on Joker twice, waited about 35 to 40 minutes both times. Got 1 full rotation and a a few always rotations, its like the ride stops you from flipping. Felt like we could have flipped around one or two more times but it didnt.

Was cool flat ride for what it is, if it flipped one or two more times it would be so much better. I wouldnt wait more than 20-30 minutes for it again. Will say the ride operations were very smooth and fast, they were pumping the cars out really quick.

Got on a few other rides but main objective was getting on Joker.

^It's very interesting that Joker is spinning significantly less than Batman at SFFT according to some reports I've heard. Nonetheless, it's in a great location and has a cool theme. I can't wait to ride it this summer as it still seems much more comfortable than Green Lantern at SFMM.

Friday should be crowded. In addition to all the regular school trips it is SeniorNite where the park is open until 1 a.m for anyone participating in that event. The SeniorNite groups can arrive whenever they want during the day and then normally the other school groups leave at around 4 or 5 but they will be staying so even the last few hours the park is open should be more crowded than normal.