TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

No. I assume 99.9% of the alerts would be alerting me each morning that I should use Got2B on my hair to keep it in place.

I didn't mean to imply that the push notifications wouldn't be useful; if they introduced them, I'd certainly sign up for them. But like Larry said, there needs to be a large enough audience that would use them, and I can't imagine current usage is even remotely close for it to be something that they'd consider, at least for now. At this point, the people who'd use them mostly consist of a bunch of coaster enthusiasts who are knowledgable enough to know to check social media streams for that kind of information.

I went to the park last Sunday, so here's my Photo TR!

Nice trip report and pictures! My family and I were there as well that day, so we may have crossed paths at some point.

One quick thing; it seems like all of your photos have a blueish tint to them. Did you take them all with an iPhone? If so, you might want to doublecheck and make sure that your camera doesn't have an automatic filter turned on by accident. If you open up the camera, then check down in the lower right hand corner; if the three overlapping dots are black and white, you're good. If they're in color, then you have a filter turned on. I found this out myself a while back when I went to Hersheypark and took a ton of photos, only to find out that they all had that tint to them, and I quickly learned that even if you hit that by accident, it doesn't reset itself unless you manually turn it off.

First off, thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it. I actually took every one of my pictures with a camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC FH27 to be exact. And you are right, many of my photos do have a tint to them, but that's on its normal setting. Next time I go to any park, I'll change it up so that it looks clearer. Thanks!

I went to the park last Sunday, so here's my Photo TR!

Nice trip report and pictures! My family and I were there as well that day, so we may have crossed paths at some point.

One quick thing; it seems like all of your photos have a blueish tint to them. Did you take them all with an iPhone? If so, you might want to doublecheck and make sure that your camera doesn't have an automatic filter turned on by accident. If you open up the camera, then check down in the lower right hand corner; if the three overlapping dots are black and white, you're good. If they're in color, then you have a filter turned on. I found this out myself a while back when I went to Hersheypark and took a ton of photos, only to find out that they all had that tint to them, and I quickly learned that even if you hit that by accident, it doesn't reset itself unless you manually turn it off.

First off, thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate it. I actually took every one of my pictures with a camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC FH27 to be exact. And you are right, many of my photos do have a tint to them, but that's on its normal setting. Next time I go to any park, I'll change it up so that it looks clearer. Thanks!

It looks to be a white balance issue. Set it to the appropriate weather.

I had a wrench thrown into my plans for my Philly trip and now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the trouble to try and make SFGAdv on this trip...

Here's the deal: I don't have a driver's license and my travel buddy might not be making the trip to Philly with me now. Originally we were gonna rent a car for a day or three, but now that's not possible if it's just me. I'm in Philly June 9-14. Main reason for the trip is the US Men's National Soccer Team's match on 6/11. I'll be staying in downtown Philly for this. I was looking at SFGAdv on 6/12 or 6/13.

Philly seems to be about 90 minutes away from SFGAdv, so public transit/Uber/Lyft is out of the question, right?

Now, I see that there is a bus to SFGAdv out of NYC. Has anyone utilized this? It's not ideal since I would lose the 1st and last hours in the park, but it might be all I got. I wouldn't mind spending 6/12-14 staying in NYC. AMTRAK runs between Philly and NYC for $80 round trip, so not bad. How reliable is AMTRAK between Philly and NYC? I fly out of Philly at 10am on 6/14 so I would need to catch a 5:30 or 6am train out of NYC. Is this asking for trouble with little fudge factor in regards to time on 6/14?

At this point cost is only marginally increased by the NYC leg, but it will take some effort and that's where I have some trepidation. I want to add SFGAdv, but I also don't want to put myself in a situation where everything has to be perfect to pull it off... So thoughts? Am I insane for considering this

Yes, you're insane. You're looking at ~6 hours of travel time since you'll have to get up to NYC first an then cut back and that's with ideal situations with the transit systems. Having grown up in NJ I can guarantee you that it WILL NOT be ideal situations. NJ Transit is awful.

Yes, you're insane. You're looking at ~6 hours of travel time since you'll have to get up to NYC first an then cut back and that's with ideal situations with the transit systems. Having grown up in NJ I can guarantee you that it WILL NOT be ideal situations. NJ Transit is awful.

Let me clarify: this will NOT be a 1 day travel ordeal. 6/12 would be Philly to NYC. Spend the late afternoon/evening doing NYC tourist stuff. 6/13 would be taking the bus to SFGAdv. 6/14 would be an early train to Philly from NYC to fly back home.

At this point cost is only marginally increased by the NYC leg, but it will take some effort and that's where I have some trepidation. I want to add SFGAdv, but I also don't want to put myself in a situation where everything has to be perfect to pull it off... So thoughts? Am I insane for considering this

Yes, you are. Don't trek up to NY just to get on a (unreliable) bus to the park and then having to depend on (unreliable) Amtrak to get back to Philly with enough time to spare to catch a flight. You'd be better off taking a train from Philly to Trenton and then a cab to the park. Or, unfortunately, you just might have to scrap the park from your plans

Take the train to Trenton from Phillie and then take a cab. It's not that far. Boldikus can drop some knowledge on you on the specifics.

Of course it's worth the trip... they have El Toro and Skull Mountain

Yeah going all the way from Philly to NYC and back down to the park is insane. Take it from me, I don't drive and live in Philly - I get rides a lot or go with my bro who is in Levittown, just across the river from Trenton.

FYI- From Philly the park is 52 miles, not 90 minutes. If you drive from Philly and take the Betsy Ross Bridge from Philly and take the back roads, not hitting traffic you can get there in 40 minutes.

From Philly take the Trenton Line (Regional Rail - you can catch it in center city at Jefferson (11th St), Suburban, (15th St) or 30th Street Stations. Make sure you are on the Trenton line going to Trenton. The train from Center City Philly to Trenton is one hour.

Trenton is about 20 minutes from the park. Unfortunatly there is no bus or public transit to get from Trenton to the park but a cab is easy to find right outside of Trenton train station (they are everywhere), and I'm sure Uber is possibly too, I've just never gotten one in Trenton. NOTE: Getting *back* from the park to Trenton I can't imagine would be as easy just because I don't know how easy it would be to get a cab or an Uber in Jackson to take you to Trenton since Jackson is like no-mans-lands and Trenton is major transit hub. You're looking at $20-25 cab/Uber rides each way. And the Philly-Trenton train is $10-12 one way, its cheaper if you buy round trip, not 100% sure look on SEPTAs website, I use a transpass which lets me on everything.

Hope this helps. And yes its worth the trip, we had a great line up, and its an above average park.

Thanks for the clarification guys...

I just booked my hotel in Philly for all 5 days and will just try for the park on Sunday/Monday. I'll figure something out. Can't come this close and take a pass on a park of this caliber...

Off topic, but I'm hoping that the "regulars" can provide a point of view.....

I'm taking a couple weeks off, traveling with the family this summer (Orlando> Boca> Charleston), and debating about heading to Charlotte on the front end of the trip:

- my wife/daughter aren't big fans of SFGA (although they have passes, typically it is only my son who is ever remotely interested to go to the park!) Both kids are tall enough/old enough to get on all rides- yup, I'm old!

- from a SFGA point of view, I'm good with: Ka, Zum, Toro, Bizarro, Nitro, Batman, and Skull Mountain when I'm there....past that- it depends on the level of crowds/whom I'm with, in terms on going on anything else

- from a Carowinds point of view, it looks like my "musts" would be: Fury (no sh*%), Intimidator, Nighthawk (not a Superman fan, but this looks different), and Afterburn (I think Batman is terrific, and this seems like a good one)....past these coasters, the rest of my day would be whatever the kids wanted to go on- including spending time in the water park, if need be (looks like they put some serious $$$$ into that section this year)

Should I make the trip to this park? Or is it not worth the time/money? What park would be a good comparison, in terms of size/quality/crowds? (I'm been to most major parks east of the Mississippi BTW).

Thanks for chiming in- I appreciate it!

You should absolutely make the trip. Fury is just that good and Afterburn is exceptional. Crowds during the week are extremely light but they get very busy on Saturdays. It's like the difference between Dorney and Great Adventure.

No matter what, ride Nighthawk first unless you get Fastlane.

My prediction: park will be closed today.

Well hopefully not, rope drop is a little over 2 hours away and signs are pointing to them opening. I'm making my way out today so here's hoping the rain doesn't ruin the day. As long as Toro and Nitro is operating, I'm happy. I'd love to get on Ka but it's not required.

My prediction: park will be closed today.

Unless they have a bunch of groups scheduled then I agree 100%

I mean uh... unless the "weather" isn't too "inclement". Yeah, we'll go with that.

Small window of no rain in the early afternoon, then back to our lovely Seattle-like weather! I was hoping to weasel my way out of going to my daughter's lacrosse game tonight and head to SFGA- weather doesn't seem to be on my side (park related!) Quite a revenue drain the past 3+ weeks for SFGA......