TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Went to the park yesterday and had a great time, nothing much to note except that Bizarro was running the best I've ever seen it run (not operations wise, they were awful) but it hauled through the course. Also I got to see the "maintenance magic" they do on El Toro when it's cold and they don't want to send an empty train at the end of the night. They basically call maintenance when the last loaded train is on the brakes, roll an empty train barely out of the station but still on a drive tire, stop it, roll us in, then roll that back to transfer and roll the other one back into the station. That was cool to watch, I had no idea they could do that.

Did another low-key visit with the family yesterday, and as such, it was focused more so on making sure the kids had lots of fun as opposed to going on the huge thrill rides I've already been on eight million times. Our little one-year-old daughter is walking around now, and so we discovered that most of the kiddie rides will actually allow her on, so she got a lot of first-time experiences yesterday, and our son was more than happy to share the fun with her! We arrived a little before 11, and the line to get in was already ridiculous; we didn't end up actually getting into the park closer to 11:30.

Attractions count (M=Mother, F=Father, S=Son, D=Daughter):

SkyScreamer 1x FS

Air Jumbo 1x FS

Blackbeard Quinn's Lost Crazy Train 1x FS

Seafari Theater [exhibits & show] 1x MFSD

Tango 1x MFSD

Runaway Mine Train 1x FS

Foghorn Leghorn's Stagecoach Express 1x SD

Enchanted Teacups 1x MS, 1x FS

Lunch break -- we hit up the Food Truck festival, and cut through the Old Country pathway which was opened up for easy access. We ended up doing a bunch of different varieties from the Mac & Cheese truck, primarily because a) it was something we could all agree on and b) there was no line. While there were a bunch of tables all throughout the Showcase Theater area for people to sit at, they had also opened up the catering pavilion area -- and practically no one seemed to notice. So we got to sit amongst the trees pretty much undisturbed for a nice, relaxing lunch!

Fender Benders 1x FS

Skull Mountain 1x FS

Air Safari 1x MFSD

Bugaboo 1x SD

Raja's Rickshaws 1x SD

Jumpin' Joey 1x S

Sky Zooma 1x FSD

Road Runner Railway 1x FS

Taz's Tornado 1x FS

Finished off the night sitting down for dinner at Granny's thanks to the meal plan. The wife and son split some chicken strips & fries, I had a caesar salad, and the little girl had a yogurt cup. Overall, it was a pretty good day, with only a couple of hiccups; the operations on Fender Benders were really lagging yesterday, as it seemed as they were only turning over every 8-10 minutes. Not sure what was going on but what should have been about a 15 minute wait ended up being about 50. Skull Mountain also experienced some disruption in service, leading to about 20 minutes of downtime right as my son and I were about to ride. While most everyone else ended up exiting and leaving, the ride ops were nice enough to let us wait at the Flash Pass entrance and get back in our seats once it was up and running again.

Lastly, the little girl? She absolutely loved EVERYTHING! She was laughing and applauding for all of the different rides, and she especially enjoyed her rides on Tango and Sky Zooma. I've got another little thrillseeker on my hands, it looks like!

^Starting them young is the best way to do it! You got a lot done and I bet those kiddos slept well after.

I'm going to be in the area tomorrow and we're supposed to go to the park but the forecast is thunderstorms all day. Considering a similar thing happened a couple weeks ago and they closed the park within a few hours of opening it's not looking so good for us

I expect low crowds this week so they may be quick to close for weather as they probably wouldn't anticipate enough people showing up for them to justify staying open.

Today and tomorrow are National Conference for Synagogue Youth group days with apparently a concert tomorrow night. I was going to go today until it was posted on the great adventure history forums.

You're probably absolutely right about the rest of the week though. I may try to go Wednesday or Thursday if the weather isn't too bad.

^Starting them young is the best way to do it! You got a lot done and I bet those kiddos slept well after.

I'm going to be in the area tomorrow and we're supposed to go to the park but the forecast is thunderstorms all day. Considering a similar thing happened a couple weeks ago and they closed the park within a few hours of opening it's not looking so good for us

Park is empty this morning.

IMG_20160426_120050.thumb.jpg.d0e1077cfd26fe80191615df721bbc25.jpg

IMG_20160426_120225.thumb.jpg.59e4a14931829ad30a3d097a1547db40.jpg

^Nice to meet you Chris

Feel free to say hi if you see me, I'm I'm a brown outlaw run t shirt today.

I saw you enter the El Toro station at some point during my 15 rides. I would have certainly had a beer with you if I had talked to you and not left the park around 1PM.

Edited by larrygator

Is that Bailey the baby bear?! Can't believe how much cubs can grow in 4 short weeks!! Thanks for those pics Larry.

We made it exit 7A just as storm clouds were rolling in and it started pouring shortly after. Stopped at McD's for some food and waited out the storm then drove over parking in Tweety 1 and walking in the park at 4:48pm. Nothing major was running yet so we went to Boldikus Mtn for 3 rides in a row in the back. My mom, a coaster freak, is a total cult convert! The first drop got more awesome each ride!

1544019499_SFGAdv20120storm20clouds204_26_16.JPG.0e03a22b5ded66a9cee4d423005abee1.JPG

No joke storm clouds

Nitro was running by then and got a walk on last row followed by a 1 train wait for the front row. I'm not really a front seat person on coasters except accelerators and flyers but wow what a different experience!!! Loved it. Got some really cool pics with the clouds which I'm hoping to post from my ancient Crackberry. No promises they appear tonight, or ever. Mom wanted soft-serve as her dining pass snack & we talked while watching the rides go. The clouds were just unreal. I promise these are all unedited:

963442316_SFGAdv20220Nitro20glorious20clouds204_26_16.JPG.040c73823a521062268e64a0bbef866c.JPG

Then the clouds suddenly parted and the glorious blue skies welcomed the airtime chariot otherwise known as Nitro

365313745_SFGAdv20320Nitro20clouds204_26_16.thumb.jpg.92a3e025c4edbc8c90c31a5fc953fcac.jpg

Soaring into the Heavens

1434417347_SFGAdv20420Nitro204_26_16.jpg.640a4c7e48a0c56cc9a69b5aae8f8428.jpg

Train flying into the dog leg

Storm clouds arrived again so we went to The Dark Knight for 3 consecutive rides while the rain did its thing. Walked down the exit ramp and the sun was shining brightly yet rain was coming down in buckets. Really cool lighting of Nitro yet again:

2010967505_SFGAdv20520Nitro20storm204_26_16.jpg.a3fcdbf74730c7cb84c885221a6fdd8e.jpg

Angels singing

I've never been on Houdini's Great Escape and decided today was the day. It was... Odd. Good thing I looked up how it works & what to expect or else ibe dizzy and sick. Once and done, guess I'm not a Vekoma Madhouse fan. Walked out to see Superman testing and got a walk-on ride for row 3, then 2nd ride changed to row 2. Got a double ride on the parachutes and saw Ka launching trains so went over there but they didn't have the queue open.

At this point my heart started beating fast as I heard the music to all enthusiast's ears, otherwise known as El Toro's upstop wheels engaging over the hills. Complete walk-on over there!! Had a ride in the magic seat, then someone was in my row (jerkface) so hopped in the front row of the last car. Decided wheel seats are for losers and jumped up 2 rows to the middle row of the 2nd to last car. Finally went back to the then-open magic seat after what appeared to be a massive protein spill several cars up. Toro was really flying in the rain. Nice to finally meet you El Toro Ryan!!! Says the girl in a bright orange/pink windbreaker & sunglasses

My meetings will be over by 2:30pm tom/Wed so we'll hit the park about 4pm again on our way back down to DC. I really need to see the animals some more and mom's never been on the safari. I forget what time Safari closes but we'll be back in a month if the timing doesn't work out. Plus we want to get a few more spins on Toro and we'd like to do Zum. In exactly 3 hours today we got on more rides than we've done using Flash Pass. And had a leisurely walk around the entire park!

Ride total, in order:

Boldikus Mountain: 3x

Nitro: 2x

TDK: 3x

Houdini: 1x

Superman: 2x

Parachutes: 2x

El Toro: 4x

Sounds like a great day! I believe the safari closes around 5 so just hit that up first. I'll be getting to the park around 430 to 5pm myself tomorrow as well. Bringing my mom cause she said she wanted to go after my gf and me have been talking about it nonstop this year lol

Is that Bailey the baby bear?! Can't believe how much cubs can grow in 4 short weeks!! Thanks for those pics Larry.

Yes, it is Bailey

When I pulled into the parking lot in the AM, the attendant warned that the park might be closing early because of potential thunderstorms. However, I didn't even realize it rained at the park later in the day. We did not get any rain 30 miles north of the park

Edited by larrygator

Sounds like a great day! I believe the safari closes around 5 so just hit that up first. I'll be getting to the park around 430 to 5pm myself tomorrow as well.

I was thinking Safari closed at 4. What about the baby animals in the Seafari by Ka? Larry or Bill - any idea what time that closes?

I'll be wearing sunglasses and my neon orange/pink plaid windbreaker again and mom has a bright green hoodie. If you see us say hi!!

They moved the babies to Camp Aventura but the walkway by the Seafari theater still has one lion cub and otters. The Safari doesn't have a set closing time, it's based on how long the line is because obviously everyone has to be off the ride before it gets dark.